Line Force?

CC, NoahH and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 14269 times.

NoahH

Re: Line Force?
« Reply #200 on: 3 Feb 2023, 03:50 am »
As someone who once argued that Danny should listen to some of the newer DSP versions and then discovered how badly my DSP device was harming the sound, I will once more apologize to Danny for having doubted him on that front.  ;)

david45

« Reply #201 on: 3 Feb 2023, 04:20 am »
In my case, I just try to keep an open mind as much as I can. I don’t doubt HAL has a great product (as well as a few others) and it’s only going to get better. Old school vs new school? I’d say both approaches have their merits.  :)

Montreal_Jazz

« Reply #202 on: 6 Apr 2023, 03:44 pm »
Any development on the Line force? I kinda saw very quickly, in a video where Jay Iyagi visiting, a prototype of the new line force. Radian transducers? I'm pretty anxious to press the buy button and start building it! I have I bought the Italian walnut burl veneer already!  :D  Keep me posted! Cheers and thanks in advance.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #203 on: 6 Apr 2023, 03:54 pm »
Any development on the Line force? I kinda saw very quickly, in a video where Jay Iyagi visiting, a prototype of the new line force. Radian transducers? I'm pretty anxious to press the buy button and start building it! I have I bought the Italian walnut burl veneer already!  :D  Keep me posted! Cheers and thanks in advance.
That's not a prototype, or a new model.
That's a line force being used for a customer that will be using the GRS 10" mids, they aren't nearly as well behaved as the old BG units.

The line force is pretty much stuck on the back burner for now, we may pursue a new version in the future using the Radian drivers, but the cabinet will need to be redesigned to fit those drivers, as well as custom drivers, to keep the impedance load balanced.

We've got other projects we need to work on first, especially considering how expensive these will end up being, and will require a lot of development costs.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #204 on: Today at 12:26 am »
I saw your rather bare bones website that claimed that you design systems for yachts. Can you provide more detail that can be verified?

Man, I was reading through this thread, what a jerk that "Low Distortion" guy was.  I just clicked his website link and it's down.  Ouch.  Guess he didn't know how to design a speaker OR run a business.   :lol:

On a more positive note, I'm in the process of building out a pair of Line Force's for myself.  Can't wait to get it all up and running.  Woot!   :banana piano:

emailtim

« Reply #205 on: Today at 12:42 am »
As someone who once argued that Danny should listen to some of the newer DSP versions and then discovered how badly my DSP device was harming the sound, I will once more apologize to Danny for having doubted him on that front.  ;)

What DSP were you using ? 

FWIW, virtually all production music uses digital mixing and post processing.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #206 on: Today at 06:29 am »
Quote from: Tyson link=topic=182363.
So msg1981592#msg1981592 date=1715905618
Man, I was reading through this thread, what a jerk that "Low Distortion" guy was.  I just clicked his website link and it's down.  Ouch.  Guess he didn't know how to design a speaker OR run a business.   :lol:

On a more positive note, I'm in the process of building out a pair of Line Force's for myself.  Can't wait to get it all up and running.  Woot!   :banana piano:
He had "FRAUD" written all over him. 
So you are building a set of Line Force's??   They are amazing.   
But..... where does it end,Tyson?

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #207 on: Today at 03:12 pm »

SpEaKeRs R FuN.  The more better the speakers, the more better...

NoahH

« Reply #208 on: Today at 04:41 pm »
What DSP were you using ? 

FWIW, virtually all production music uses digital mixing and post processing.
MiniDSP SHD. I fully believe that some of the really, really, really good gear could do a lot better on it, but I am talking Theoretica and such.

As for mixing and such, there are a lot of issues with that as an argument.
1. Some of the really best recordings don't have it, but that is a very limited volume. Ex Octave's stuff and DSD from old tapes
2. Mixing and DSP are very different. Level mixing is simple. Parametric equalization is sometimes used in mixing but means the recordings had issues. Parametric timing changes are not done much at all in mixing. The latter two are in DSP, and are very complex and easy to screw up.
3. All the digital manipulation everywhere in the chain tends to introduce errors, and it adds up. I think a good analogy is freezing stuff. Sure - the fish you buy at the store has often been frozen before. But that does not mean that freezing it again at home and thawing it again is not going to make it worse.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #209 on: Today at 04:58 pm »
You might want to look at the Danville Signal dspNexus 2x8 system for DSP processor and crossover.

Danny and Scott heard it at LSAF2023 and both smiled.  :)

I already did a Line Force DSP crossover for them with the original dspMusik 2x8 system that Danny heard and gave ideas for improvements.  The dspNexus 2x8 with AK4499EX DAC's sounds better than its older brother dspMusik.

They are great sounding speakers!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #210 on: Today at 06:27 pm »
You might want to look at the Danville Signal dspNexus 2x8 system for DSP processor and crossover.

Danny and Scott heard it at LSAF2023 and both smiled.  :)

I already did a Line Force DSP crossover for them with the original dspMusik 2x8 system that Danny heard and gave ideas for improvements.  The dspNexus 2x8 with AK4499EX DAC's sounds better than its older brother dspMusik.

They are great sounding speakers!

+1 I heard it at LSAF 2023 also. If I had room for another full system This would be in it.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #211 on: Today at 06:31 pm »

While I have to admit, I can't imagine topping the Line Force, it is said the largest room in the world is the room for improvement and who knows what driver technology will come up with next  :drool:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #212 on: Today at 07:07 pm »
So you are building a set of Line Force's??   They are amazing.   

For my tastes, the Line Forces are the best I've heard.  By a lot.  I think there's nothing higher out there at this point.  So I think it ends here.  My only real question is do I go with all Miflex caps from the start?  Or start with a more modest crossover and change it over to Miflex after some time.  I'm leaning toward the latter option because it's more fun to experiment.

Also I am converting my Super 7's into the Line Force, so I get to re-use the Neo10 midrange drivers from my current speakers.  And I can re-use the Double Trouble OB subs and amps.  Mostly I just needed new cabinets, a few new crossover parts and some new sub cabinets.  Oh, and tweeters.  Lots of tweeters.  32 in total.  Insanity.

If anyone is interested in building out their own pair of Super 7's, I am going to put my cabinets up for sale.  I'd love to see them go to a good home.