The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

jn316

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #680 on: 1 Jul 2019, 12:04 am »
Come on guys--SIX consecutive off-topic posts.  PLEASE go talk in a projector forum.

How about this deal: They quit talking about his room on this thread if you quit using large, bold font. Deal?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #681 on: 1 Jul 2019, 12:58 am »
Come on guys--SIX consecutive off-topic posts.  PLEASE go talk in a projector forum.
OK - but I thought I was trying to figure out the way to get the best possible sound out of my Super 7's in my room in the Super 7 Thread, dealing with the circumstances that I have.

Sorry.

Captainhemo

« Reply #682 on: 1 Jul 2019, 04:57 am »
Mellow out  guys,  it's all good.    Just  like the   fonts  don't matter niether do the   posts... it'll  go back  to the  s7s  as  soon  as  someone has  something  to post  about  them,   not  a  big  deal

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #683 on: 1 Jul 2019, 09:29 pm »
Bringing things back on topic.  In my quest to remove ALL non-copper parts from the signal path and replace them with better quality copper parts, I've gotten one of the last major pieces removed and replaced - the RESISTORS in the crossover. 

Buh-bye Mills M-Resist Supreme (a nice resistor, actually) and HELLO Path Audio copper resistor:

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #684 on: 1 Jul 2019, 09:30 pm »
How about this deal: They quit talking about his room on this thread if you quit using large, bold font. Deal?

NO.  What's off-topic about highly readable fonts?

Early B.

« Reply #685 on: 1 Jul 2019, 10:53 pm »
Buh-bye Mills M-Resist Supreme (a nice resistor, actually) and HELLO Path Audio copper resistor:

OK, so you got to tell us if you're hearing any sonic differences after installing these resistors.

Tyson

« Reply #686 on: 1 Jul 2019, 11:06 pm »
OK, so you got to tell us if you're hearing any sonic differences after installing these resistors.

Of course!  Although I have to say I'm still in awe of the improvements I got a few days ago from simply tightening down my midrange panel screws (and tweeter screws).  Thank you to whoever suggested that initially, it made a SUBSTANTIAL improvement in focus, microdynamics and image precision.  I've actually had to re-adjust my subwoofer settings to match up with the new sound I'm getting from the mid panels.

Anyway, give me a couple days to run a signal through the speakers to run in the new resistor and I'll report back.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #687 on: 1 Jul 2019, 11:55 pm »
NO.  What's off-topic about highly readable fonts?

Sent a quick PM regarding using fonts on the forum, just to clutter the thread as little as possible with truly off-topic content.

bernardo

« Reply #688 on: 2 Jul 2019, 12:12 am »
Tyson-

Thanks for posting about the improvement made by tightening the Neo mounting screws. One or two mentioned tightening them but did not state whether it resulted in the same kind of improvement I got. I did not tighten any screw more than maybe 1/8 of a turn. Wondered if anyone else had the same experience.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #689 on: 2 Jul 2019, 01:22 am »
Tyson-

Thanks for posting about the improvement made by tightening the Neo mounting screws. One or two mentioned tightening them but did not state whether it resulted in the same kind of improvement I got. I did not tighten any screw more than maybe 1/8 of a turn. Wondered if anyone else had the same experience.

Since the tightness of the mounting screws makes so much difference and since MDF doesn’t stand up to repetitive loosening and tightening, would installing threaded inserts for mounting the drivers be appropriate?

Mike

Tyson

« Reply #690 on: 2 Jul 2019, 04:25 am »
Since the tightness of the mounting screws makes so much difference and since MDF doesn’t stand up to repetitive loosening and tightening, would installing threaded inserts for mounting the drivers be appropriate?

Mike

I thought of that, but on my pair of Super 7's I feel like there's just not enough room on the mdf to mount an anchor or any kind of insert, really.  The drivers are just too close together and the MDF is too skinny. 

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #691 on: 2 Jul 2019, 04:53 am »

Mike
  You might look into using super glue added to pre drilled then dried holes.   Works well

Alan

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #692 on: 2 Jul 2019, 01:40 pm »

Also, the new design is made from Medex which is actually denser than MDF by a substantial margin. Tyson, i'm a big fan of the Path's myself and run them in my big purples, extremely neutral in my opinion, I'm sure you'll like them.

On another related note, I was at the Captain's for a listen on Saturday as he's been playing with the settings on his subs, WOW!! what a difference a few careful clicks can make. I don't want to speak for him but in my opinion his tightening up of the lower base region has really enhanced the midrange, which was already excellent, it pays to play!!

Cheers,

Don

AKLegal

« Reply #693 on: 2 Jul 2019, 01:59 pm »
  You might look into using super glue added to pre drilled then dried holes.   Works well

Alan

Do we just put superglue over the holes or try to somehow force it down into the holes (which are really small). 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #694 on: 2 Jul 2019, 02:10 pm »
I think to consolidate MDF fibers in threaded screw holes in finished speakers it would be best to lay on back and apply with a toothpick,  a small artist's brush or similar. Don't want to fill hole, but sort of line the interior wall. A little goes a long way.

Medex is MDF, albeit a more highly refined variant. I suspect nearly all MDF and HDF is NAUF (no additional urea-formaldehyde) rated now. That ship sailed some years ago in the US.

http://www.roseburg.com/Product/medex/

SoCalWJS

« Reply #695 on: 2 Jul 2019, 03:34 pm »
I think to consolidate MDF fibers in threaded screw holes in finished speakers it would be best to lay on back and apply with a toothpick,  a small artist's brush or similar. Don't want to fill hole, but sort of line the interior wall. A little goes a long way.

Medex is MDF, albeit a more highly refined variant. I suspect nearly all MDF and HDF is NAUF (no additional urea-formaldehyde) rated now. That ship sailed some years ago in the US.

How about just applying some glue (superglue? Wood Glue? Gorilla Glue?) to the threads of the screw and allowing it to "Drip" down the threads, then screwing it back in?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #696 on: 2 Jul 2019, 03:49 pm »
How about just applying some glue (superglue? Wood Glue? Gorilla Glue?) to the threads of the screw and allowing it to "Drip" down the threads, then screwing it back in?

This would seem to me a workable plan. Wood glue or even Elmer's glue would be my preference, maybe even thin it a bit with water. I'd view this as light duty thread locker, but one really doesn't want to solidly glue screw in place as it would likely bring threads with it should it ever need removal. Then you'd have an even bigger problem.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #697 on: 2 Jul 2019, 04:00 pm »

This would seem to me a workable plan. Wood glue or even Elmer's glue would be my preference, maybe even thin it a bit with water. I'd view this as light duty thread locker, but one really doesn't want to solidly glue screw in place as it would likely bring threads with it should it ever need removal. Then you'd have an even bigger problem.
When I originally tightened down the screws on the S7's after they arrived, I thought about using glue to keep them from loosening again, but that was my concern - if I ever needed to remove/replace a Driver in the future, how much damage would that cause?

Locktite?

Captainhemo

« Reply #698 on: 2 Jul 2019, 05:08 pm »

Yes, Medix is a   more refined form of  MDF.  It  is slightly  more dense than  "standard"  MDF  and it  is  far more  resistant  to  edge chipping/breakage  etc.  It  machines    cleaner (better finish)  and  is moisture  resistant  which  makes it more  dimensionally  stable.

Once  characteristic  I've   put to the test is  it's ability to hold  a thread ( not pull).   All the  mounting holes for Neo's in  my S7's    have been tapped  and  then  we used M4  machine screws (IIRC  they were M4... I'd have to pull one and  grab the calipers).  No  additional   glue  etc   was used and so far,  no issues.

From  info page:
No added formaldehyde resin system
Especially suitable in interior applications where moisture is a concern, Medex does succeed in the 6 cycle accelerated aging test
Superior physical properties to standard MDF. Truly high performance screwholding and MOR capabilities, among others

When I originally tightened down the screws on the S7's after they arrived, I thought about using glue to keep them from loosening again, but that was my concern - if I ever needed to remove/replace a Driver in the future, how much damage would that cause?

Locktite?

You  can get  some  Loctite's that  don't   harden, they  just  go  "gummy"  to prevent the  fastners  from loossening up.
If you  want to use something   tougher,   I'd  tap the holes,  then   run a thin line of  CA  on the   screw  or drip a bit into the  hole...  run the screw in  quickly  and then remove it and  let the    CA  dry  in the  threads.  doing tis will let it soak into the   wood somewhat  and   toughen it up.   You'll need to work  fairly  quickly... keep the screw moving   so  the CA doesn't  harden with the  screw in place.    A nut driver  with  the proper  bit  works well.

jay

Tyson

« Reply #699 on: 3 Jul 2019, 06:04 am »
After tightening the screws on the midrange, I had to turn up the bass to rebalance the subjective sound.  Then I realized that was kind of half-assed, so out comes the measuring tools (a cool FFT program) and I spent some time over the last 2 days dialing in my midrange/bass integration.  I'm glad I did it because a few things became obvious that were not obvious before.

First, my right speaker is too damn close to the wall.  Created a suckout in the 150-300 hz range.  So I moved the speaker away from the wall. 

Next, the phase, crossover settings and EQ settings vary a fair bit between my left speaker and my right.  For my left speaker, phase is "13 clicks from 180 degrees", hehe.  And all EQ focused on a 60hz room mode bass hump (which dialed it down nicely).  For my right speaker, phase is set to zero and no EQ is needed.  Crazy. 

Thirdly, my couch was too far back.  I got better measurements about a foot in front of my normal listening spot, so I moved the couch a foot forward to take advantage of this bit of serendipity. 

How does it sound?  I don't know!  I finished the measuring/settings and had to rush off to have a nice steak dinner grilled by my dad for me and Kira (she loves steak), and now she's in bed and I can't listen, haha.  We'll fire it up tomorrow and see how it sounds.