HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

ACHiPo

Since ACHiPo bought his used, I want him to hear it as a fresh install.  Tech support is just shipping this time.  :D

Windows 8.1 OS is installed and now loading the software and updates.
Rich,
Have I told you lately you are a mensch?  I LOVE you man!
AC

Phil A

Rich,
Have I told you lately you are a mensch?  I LOVE you man!
AC

Rich is a great guy.  He even put these mugshots (who else would do that) on his facebook page:

HAL

Had a fine time at the mini-CAF at Gary's today.

007KLH has an MS-3 Music Server to demo with his USB DAC.  Looking forward to his observations.

« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2016, 11:47 am by HAL »

KLH007

Thanks Rich, I'll be calling to get things started off correctly.

oneartist

The HX800XLR3 servo amps are up and running with the 2x12's. 

Hi Rich,

1. Are you using SW-12-16FR drivers with the  HX800XLR3 amp. I'm planning to build either the H-Frame or the W-Frame. I was going to use the A370 amp but since there are two drivers I can see your reaasoning.

2. When I was emailing Danny, I mentioned that I would be using a DEQX Express II processer with the speakers. He suggested that I sell the DEQX and contract you regarding your MS-3 system. I also do digital audio recording and I've built a few computers so a computer system appeals to me. I would like to learn more about how you do dsp room processing.

Charles

HAL

Hi Charles,
For the 2x12 open baffle servo subs, the Rythmik A370PEQ is more than adequate to drive the SW-12-16FR servo subs.  I am using the HX800XLR3 with the large 6x12 open baffle servo sub array I am building.  You might ask Danny if the SW-12-8FR's would be a better match to the A370PEQ than the -16FR's in the 2x12's.  If you were going to more 12" drivers the HX800 might be a better way.  Each HX800 amp module is driving 3 - 12" servos in my setup.

The dspMusik is a 6 input (USB2, S/PDIF and A/D), 8 output DSP and HiRez DAC system.  It works as both a digital crossover and PEQ system for the setup.  I use Room EQ Wizard to make measurements with the MS-3 and dspMusik and then setup PEQ's in the woofer or sub processing.  Time delay can also be added if needed. The user can make measurements and I can setup the PEQ's and send the block diagram for AudioWeaver to run.  I use a Dayton Audio UMM-6 calibrated mic for the measurements with REW, as they are $85 and have calibration files compatible with REW. 

There are other ways, but I have to see the processing power available in the MS-3 and dspMusik will handle it on a case by case basis.

A friend that records and does his mastering is using the dspMusik in his Home Studio with a pair of GR-Research N2X and TL subs with his Protools system with very good results.

TomS

Hi Charles,
For the 2x12 open baffle servo subs, the Rythmik A370PEQ is more than adequate to drive the SW-12-16FR servo subs.  I am using the HX800XLR3 with the large 6x12 open baffle servo sub array I am building.  You might ask Danny if the SW-12-8FR's would be a better match to the A370PEQ than the -16FR's in the 2x12's.  If you were going to more 12" drivers the HX800 might be a better way.  Each HX800 amp module is driving 3 - 12" servos in my setup.

The dspMusik is a 6 input (USB2, S/PDIF and A/D), 8 output DSP and HiRez DAC system.  It works as both a digital crossover and PEQ system for the setup.  I use Room EQ Wizard to make measurements with the MS-3 and dspMusik and then setup PEQ's in the woofer or sub processing.  Time delay can also be added if needed. The user can make measurements and I can setup the PEQ's and send the block diagram for AudioWeaver to run.  I use a Dayton Audio UMM-6 calibrated mic for the measurements with REW, as they are $85 and have calibration files compatible with REW. 

There are other ways, but I have to see the processing power available in the MS-3 and dspMusik will handle it on a case by case basis.

A friend that records and does his mastering is using the dspMusik in his Home Studio with a pair of GR-Research N2X and TL subs with his Protools system with very good results.
So it's a little confusing on the Rythmik site on the HX800. It says "800W RMS (400W RMS x 2)". The 370PEQ will drive 3 -16FR's adequately, though it is a single channel amp. Is each HX800 2 separate outputs, with each channel driving three -16FR's, thus 2 HX800 amps driving all 12 of yours via 4 channels  :scratch:

HAL

Tom,
The HX800's have two separate sets of outputs and servo channels.  I am driving 3x12 servo subs per side with each channel for the total of 6x12.  Two full amps needed for the two arrays.

Does that make sense?

TomS

Tom,
The HX800's have two separate sets of outputs and servo channels.  I am driving 3x12 servo subs per side with each channel for the total of 6x12.  Two full amps needed for the two arrays.

Does that make sense?
Yup, very nice  :thumb:

TomS

Oops, one more question. So does Brian install the OB shelf circuits in the HX800 standard or do you provide that in the dspMusic itself? Other than maybe the potential issue of wire connection length, one HX800 amp would be fine for two x3 separated arrays, rather than using two 370's.

HAL

Tom,
I bought my Rythmik HX800 servo amps through Danny, the shelving circuit was installed in the amps when he ordered them from Brian. 

The HX800 is mono input, so if you sum the Left+ Right channels in the dspMusik and send them to one output channel, it will work for mono subs as long as the wiring is short.  Two A370PEQ's are better if you need 3x12 arrays widely separated.  You want to keep the servo loop wiring as short as possible.

oneartist

Hi Charles,

1. You might ask Danny if the SW-12-8FR's would be a better match to the A370PEQ than the -16FR's in the 2x12's. 

Brian says the GR SW12-08FR matched better for the HX300 amp. He said the A370 may over drive the 08FR. He said a better match for the A370 amp is the GR- SW12-16FR driver. Also, Danny is out of stock for the SW12-16FR. This all leaves me a little confused.

2.  I use a Dayton Audio UMM-6 calibrated mic for the measurements with REW, as they are $85 and have calibration files compatible with REW. 

I have a Earthworks M30 mic that is calibrated for DEQX

3.A friend that records and does his mastering is using the dspMusik in his Home Studio with a pair of GR-Research N2X and TL subs with his Protools system with very good results.

I have Samplitude Pro X software and RME hardware and a bunch of recording equipment. My RME Babyface has USB connections. And my DEQX Express II has an added USB audio card.

4. I'm thinking of building a beefed up W-Frame with 1-1/2" side walls for a lower profile.

HAL

Charles,
Brian is the expert in that area with Danny.  Danny might have a schedule for the new SW-12-16FR's if you contact him.  They are popular for the OB subs.

Have the HX300 servo amps here work with the 3x8" sub drivers in the H-Frame and U-Frame.  They are smaller size amps than the A370PEQ.  They also have mini-XLR balanced inputs that I like.     

The Earthworks M30 mic will need a XLR phantom powered mic preamp and USB A/D to input to the MS-3 to run with REW.   I have one here for my old DEQX 2.6P.  I have a calibrated UMM-6 mic that I can lend for use with REW if needed with the MS-3 and dspMusik purchase.

The beefed up 2x12 W-frames should be cool.

oneartist

I have one here for my old DEQX 2.6P.  I have a calibrated UMM-6 mic that I can lend for use with REW if needed with the MS-3 and dspMusik purchase.

Since you own DEQX do you think I will miss the speaker correction that DEQX is famous for?

What is the cost of your MS-3 and dspMusik system.

[/quote

HAL

I do not miss the speaker correction of the DEQX as the DAC portion of that unit did not sound very good to me.  The dspMusik 2x8 has HiRez DAC's running at 24bit/192KHz with the Analog Devices ADSRC running for all digital inputs.  The ADC for analog inputs is also very good running at 24bit/192KHz. 

The question is how well things like Diraq Live will run on the MS-3 to do similar things to the DEQX.  That is something I am looking at now.

The MS-3 and dspMusik 2x8 combo is $2299.00 + shipping in the US.

oneartist

Thanks for all the info. I've got too many things going on for a newly retired person. Besides all the audio stuff, my wife is tapping into my first career skills as a building contractor. I'm in the middle of her kitchen remodel. I finished redoing our master closet and several other tile projects. I like to collect ideas over a period of time for something like choosing subs. Eventually the right decision comes to the surface. Thanks for all your help. DEQX never was able to do anything about all the speakers in a theater system so I'm not that sorry to see it go.

stu

Hi Rich. I sure would like to hear what those 6x12's would sound like connected to my LS-9'S! Why don't you bring them down to Atlanta and we can hook them up. Would be fun. Let me know when you will be here.

HAL

Mark,
Just need a small moving truck and lots of folks to do it.  Maybe some day.

Chris has the idea that he needs his MS-1 running a dspMusik 2x8 digital crossover for his LS-9's.  That should get interesting.

Rich

THROWBACK

Six 12" servos with LS-9s. That's what I have and I love the combo. I believe I am source limited now, and I have stopped looking for improvements. Well, almost. I still look for tweaks. My last one was the Herbie's Audio Lab turntable mat. I am amazed at how much that opened things up.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Six 12" servos with LS-9s. That's what I have and I love the combo. I believe I am source limited now, and I have stopped looking for improvements. Well, almost. I still look for tweaks. My last one was the Herbie's Audio Lab turntable mat. I am amazed at how much that opened things up.
Are the LS9 woofers running full lower register, or did you modify the crossover to have them cut off before getting in the lowest range?