Tube Vendors

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Tube Vendors
« Reply #140 on: 22 Feb 2014, 10:30 am »
Wirenut,
Parts-Connexion can't help you out? 

Ericus Rex

« Reply #141 on: 22 Feb 2014, 11:44 am »
Wirenut,  iirc, Roger Modjeski consideres 'matched' for preamp tubes to mean matched for voltage gain (what your requesting) while power tubes are matched for Gm.  So your request is sensible, according to RAM, but nearly all vendors match preamp tubes for Gm/Ip only.  If a vendor can't match for voltage gain get in touch with Roger.

http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/tubes.html

His NOS supply is limited but his pricing on those is very good.  Looks like the only real NOS 6922 is the Amperex 7308 gold pin at the bottom of the page for only $50 each!

WireNut

« Reply #142 on: 22 Feb 2014, 06:21 pm »
Wirenut,
Parts-Connexion can't help you out?

Hi Steve,

I'm sure Parts Connexion could help me out. Just looking for a vender in the US to try. Think I'll try Roger Modjeski this time.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #143 on: 23 Mar 2014, 12:02 pm »
Attention 6C33 fans, Anton just starting offer Svetlanas again:
http://www.gstube.com/catalog/?key=6C33&bl=&mmm=0&aaa=0&valuta=978
The bad news are there is just ONE piece avaliable...

JakeJ

« Reply #144 on: 10 May 2014, 03:58 pm »
It appears that Vintage Tube Services is no longer available as the domain name is up for grabs.  Hope all is well with Andy, he would be a great loss to us tube lovers.

pjnad

« Reply #145 on: 19 May 2014, 03:40 am »
Hey Folks,
does anyone have a pair of Tung-sol 5687s ...preferably 50's vintage that they are willing to part with?
I have been on some of the vendors sites but thought I'd inquire here....
Thanks,
Paul

G E

« Reply #146 on: 1 Jun 2014, 11:23 pm »
It appears that Vintage Tube Services is no longer available as the domain name is up for grabs.  Hope all is well with Andy, he would be a great loss to us tube lovers.

The website is accessible and Andy called me last week with some news on tubes.

So he is still in the biz from what I see.

JakeJ

« Reply #147 on: 2 Jun 2014, 01:38 am »
This is good news!  Thanks, G E.

Captainhemo

« Reply #148 on: 1 Aug 2014, 05:05 am »
Ok, thought I'd pass this along but I have no affiliation with this guy,  just  came across him on ebay  He has some good prices on what would appear to be NOS  Mullard tubes, money back guarentee
http://www.ebay.com/sch/squareheadtubes/m.html?item=130295388092&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

He also sells from  :
www.mullardtubes.com  ( it was in the info at the bottom of the invoice I got from him)

I picked up a pair of  the  CV4024's as he has them at a  good prce. They appear from the pics to be identical to the pair I got from Jim McShane abou a year ago
He does have exellent feedback on  ebay. Located up here  in Canada, $10 shipping to Canada/US and $19  everywhere else I believe 
If you are into Cryo'ing your tubes, he'll  do that  free of charge, at least it was an option  on the CV4024's which   declined

The CV4024's arrived today sleeved, wrapped and in the military boxes but  without pin protectors...

-jay
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2014, 07:48 pm by Captainhemo »

sfox7076

« Reply #149 on: 14 Oct 2014, 01:36 pm »
I am looking for 1 ST shaped Western Electric 101D.  Have called all the tube vendors I can find.  Anyone have any off the beaten path leads?  I will pay a fair price for the tube, but need to find it.

zadfrak

« Reply #150 on: 20 Dec 2014, 07:02 pm »
How about a shout for Roger Modjeski @ tubeaudiostore.com   Nobody tests tubes to the degree he does. And finding used RAM tubes is about impossible.

ACHiPo

« Reply #151 on: 24 Feb 2015, 01:27 am »
Here's another thumbs up for Brent Jesse.  I found him very helpful in navigating figuring out what kind of 6SN7s to choose for my AtmaSpheres.

Also, I had a great experience with this EBay seller in Ukraine.  Given what we hear about this part of the world I was delighted to receive 25 6AS7Gs/6N5S/ECC230 in excellent condition a full month before the projected delivery date.

Ranutek EBay Store

Audioclyde

« Reply #152 on: 28 Mar 2015, 11:18 pm »
I don't want to violate the 'no dirty laundry' policy, but anyone considering doing business with Jac Music is welcome to pm me for the almost laughable (it would be more laughable if I wasn't out over $500 with no tubes  :icon_frown:) ridiculously bad experience I'm now in the middle of with Jac.

ACHiPo

« Reply #153 on: 29 Mar 2015, 05:19 am »
Wow sorry to hear about your bad experience.  That sucks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #154 on: 29 Mar 2015, 02:00 pm »
I could not even get to buy from them because the answers by email were very rough.
But his site is very informative.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2015, 03:04 pm by FullRangeMan »

vinylvalet

« Reply #155 on: 23 Sep 2015, 01:27 pm »
Message removed.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2015, 04:24 pm by vinylvalet »

Audioclyde

« Reply #156 on: 23 Sep 2015, 01:38 pm »
I want to update my earlier post re my experience with JAC Music.  Jac finally came through and shipped me the tubes I had purchased, but because of his mistake in sending the incorrect tubes the first time, the time from purchase until my receipt of the correct tubes took many, many weeks and some pretty serious conversations before I received the tubes....

So, in hindsight, rather than trying to save a few bucks, in the future any EML tubes I purchase will be from George Lenz (TubesUSA), who I've found to be great, helpful and responsive!

Escott1377

« Reply #157 on: 23 Sep 2015, 02:36 pm »
I've been buying new and NOS tubes for about fifteen years from almost all the vendors previously mentioned and overall my experiences have been good with one exception; Upscale Audio.

I bought six gold grade Matsushita 7DJ8 tubes from Upscale, graded A for both noise and microphonics for my Herron VTSP-3A line stage. Five out of the six were noisy and one was so microphonic that speaking at normal levels would set it off. The day after I received them I contacted Upscale using their website messaging system (the unanswered message is still there) requesting an exchange or possible upgrade to platinum grade if those would be quieter. I received no response. Two days later I emailed them with the same request. No reply. I then requested a RA so I could return them for a refund. No reply. A week later I filed a dispute with Visa. Upscale is fighting it.

I've heard similar stories. There are many good tube vendors out there so I would recommend any others before considering Upscale Audio. In addition, I think their tube descriptions and superior testing claims are generally exaggerated.

I have been lucky w/ Upscale, but I have also purchased other components from (Cary SLi-80, Prima Luna mono blocs) so maybe that carries some weight?  I do think his prices are too expensive.

Depending your tube, I have had reasonable success on Ebay.  I have never purchased any Tele's from the site (I have heard their are often counterfeited), but did score a quad of Mullard 6922's at a very reasonable price.

I have several tube vendors that I follow and check their sites if I am in the mood for purchasing.

The Mullards I purchased ran me around $250 for the set.

Good luck -

vinylvalet

« Reply #158 on: 23 Sep 2015, 04:20 pm »
Nice score on the Mullards.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2015, 04:25 pm by vinylvalet »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #159 on: 23 Sep 2015, 05:22 pm »
I agree, he charges way to much (got to pay for all those full page, color magazine ads somehow), so I buy my gear elsewhere.

Nice score on the Mullards.
North American tube brokers always are bullish(and boutique prices) to send tubes to my country, so I buy direct from Russia, almost all vendors are reliable.
These brokers also buy in Russia and his alleged selecting process are non existent or poor.
So why pay more!