WTB HD Tuner

I.Greyhound Fan

WTB HD Tuner
« on: 24 Nov 2022, 11:47 pm »
My wife would like an HD Tuner.  Anyone have 1 for sale.  I have been looking at the Sangean HD20.  Also looking for a Magnum Dynalab SR100 indoor antenna.

Thanks,

Larry

richidoo

Re: WTB HD Tuner
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2022, 03:07 am »
I tried a sangean couple months ago as a backup for my main tuner that is out getting mods.

It worked fine. The only problem was on very low signals like quiet passages on classical music the noise gate would click in and out really fast creating a fluttering noise. It's only gonna affect classical listeners and then thats still pretty rare to have even classical music that quiet on radio. For pop jazz talk or any "normal" programming this wouldnt be a problem.

I would recommend a smart speaker instead of a HD tuner. From an audiophile's perspective HD radio is compressed stream similar to any compressed streaming service and internet radio.  Every radio station is online now. Its nice to tell Alexa to "play WCPE" "pause" "resume" "play joni mitchel" "play 80s dance" "volume 6" etc. And if she does appreciate good sound quality for music then a smart speaker can stream CD quality or hires if she has hires streaming service.

If she wants to see the name of the song playing she can play the radio station on her phone and airplay it to the smart speaker. Then she can see even more song detail on the radio station app or webpage.
Something to consider.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2022, 05:59 pm »
Thanks for the info.  My wife wants to run the local radio stations through my main stereo.  I may just buy an IFI Zen Blue BT streamer for $189 and then use a Bluetooth Dongle for her computer. I want to keep it simple and under $300.

I already own 3 1970's and 80's Tuners, but the reception is spotty due to where my system is. I could try and aftermarket antenna.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2022, 06:28 pm »
The nice thing about Sangean from Amazon is you can return if the reception isn’t good enough even for HD radio.
Or check their Amzn warehouse for returned sangean or even the iFi.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2022, 12:04 am »
The nice thing about Sangean from Amazon is you can return if the reception isn’t good enough even for HD radio.
Or check their Amzn warehouse for returned sangean or even the iFi.

Yes, amazon is great about returns.