Small-ish Amps- Quality vs Quantity? 8-25 watts?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Small-ish Amps- Quality vs Quantity? 8-25 watts?
« Reply #60 on: 21 Jul 2018, 07:04 pm »
Really sorry to hear this Tyson, the hardest part is not having a say in it. I can't imagine the additional pain of children being part of the equation.

Hang in there, it will get better in time.

Greg

Thanks man.  I really appreciate it.

There's no way that fits MMM. Ouch. Sorry, man.

Well, thanks to MMM we actually have assets to divvy up.  Before we would have only had debts.  Still it sucks when I put in 80% of the money to the mortgage AND towards savings/investing AND paid all living expenses, I still only get half.  Seems downright unfair.  But Colorado doesn't give a shit who paid or who didn't, it's what they call a "no fault" divorce state, so there's a basic formula that's followed with very little care about mitigating circumstances.  For example, alimony - I owe her 40% of my salary for several years because I make a lot and she doesn't.  Not because she was a stay at home mom.  In fact I was a stay at home dad more than she was a stay at home mom.  It's because she's launched (and failed/quit) 6 different careers since I've known her.  But the courts don't care.  They just take a machete and lop off my future earnings. 

It feels especially shitty because it feels like I did everything right and I still get screwed.  For a decision I don't agree with and that I have no power to change. 

And sorry for thread crapping.  Maybe a moderator can split off my last few posts & put them in the Personal touch area under a "Divorce Sucks" thread  :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #61 on: 21 Jul 2018, 07:32 pm »
I will tell you that you're doing a billion times better than my uncle, and millions of times better than my friend in LA... It's not fun, it's not good, but I guess be happy that it isn't ugly as hell... cause then you'd be telling us about her blowing up your car's engine, slashing tires, etc...

Sad fact of the matter is that these days women are given the impression separation is highly advisable on a whim. The short-sightedness of it often comes back to haunt them. My mother has dreams about wanting to live in the house I grew up in with my father until X age where she split. She went off and had a career, good one, but now craves the comfort in her dreams that she so willingly tossed aside.

The laws around divorce (varies state to state greatly) and the roll back of effectual prenuptial agreements (many states) has left me as a younger guy thinking 1. I won't get married. 2. She has to either have her own apartment or job, which ever stops alimony/palimony.  It's really screwed up because I really like the idea of getting married, but basically the benefits of getting married in the past only apply to being single these days. (except taxes, UUGH)

OzarkTom

« Reply #62 on: 21 Jul 2018, 07:39 pm »
Might have to wait a couple years for new audio toys.  Getting divorced (and paying alimony) sucks.

Has your wife checked her hormones lately? I know this sounds crazy, but I now know that female hormones, if not balanced, will make any woman go off the deep end. I saw it with my mom, my ex, and the woman I am currently married to. As we get older, hormones play a huge difference in our well being and our relationships.

Male hormones can also be a problem. Nobody is exempt to that.  A hormone check on both parties is a lot cheaper than a divorce.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #63 on: 21 Jul 2018, 08:21 pm »
I paid alimony for years, then child support for another 10 after.
I had the same feelings that you have now back then.
It sucks .....its not fair.....I'm getting screwed....

Fast forward 30 yrs......new outlook,best investment I ever made.

Been with my new wife for 22 years now......rocks.

Folsom

« Reply #64 on: 22 Jul 2018, 12:44 am »
Child support is fine. Kids are good. It is the rewards package for women that is a problem... Why not get divorced?...

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #65 on: 22 Jul 2018, 01:59 am »
Marriage - it's all a big fake  :duh:

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #66 on: 22 Jul 2018, 02:02 am »
I don't believe in love. I don't believe in marriage.

But I do believe in lust!!! :green:

Gene

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #67 on: 22 Jul 2018, 02:57 am »
Now its too late, I had marriage in 1985 :duh: and paid alimony 10 years.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #68 on: 22 Jul 2018, 05:27 am »
I am so sorry Tyson. I know the pain that comes from an unwanted divorce and it is devastating. Can I suggest you seek out wise friends and or counselors that you can share your heart with?

Don't isolate yourself, and don't surround yourself with voices that encourage bitterness.

I wish I could hug you and tell you exactly what  you need to hear. Since I can't, I pray that those you love and trust will be able to do just that.

nickd

« Reply #69 on: 22 Jul 2018, 04:16 pm »
+1 for Tyson support during stressful times. Been there done that (27 years ago). I Picked much better on the second round.  :thumb:

As for small amps. Some truth with the theory. Less out put devices, tubes or solid state = less chances for distortion before clipping. Good designers can compensate with device matching, differential circuits etc. but good clean power takes both talent and money for parts. No cheating that.

I found a happpy place with about 80 Watts into 8ohms and two way 96db loudspeakers. Shocking dynamics at my place indeed. One of the best amps I have in the family is an older bipolar Pass design (forte 1A). Runs hot as a toaster oven though. It has shocked everyone who has ever heard it. There is hardly any parts in the thing, but they are all good sounding parts.

Most of the newer small stuff has not impressed me. Need a stiff power supply no matter how many volts on the rails. That costs money these days.