What sub for use with IB1's?

Dokter_doug

« on: 22 Dec 2003, 09:02 pm »
My new IB1's produce better bass than my current subs (I use two). I would like suggestions as to which subs would make for a good match with the IB1's (driven with 7B ST's). I listen primarliy to jazz and classical music, and play my movies pretty loud.

Thanks, in advance for your suggestions.

jethro

« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2003, 11:47 pm »
I use an SVS Ultra as a .1 channel only. It goes much lower than the IB1's so it's great for HT. It's the best sub that I've heard for music so far, but it can't compare to the distortion-free bass of the IB1s. Therefore if you're looking for HT subs, perhaps one or two SVS Ultras or an Ultra SS would work well. If you're looking to extend your IB1's bass for music then I have a feeling you might be disappointed by adding a sub. I'm hoping that in a few years, a PMC monitor based on a 12" or 15" version of the IB1's 10" driver will be available. This is my personal opinion. based on my somewhat limited audio experience.

I think there is another audiocircle member out there that has IB2's and the PMC XB-2 sub which might be able to comment.

Dokter_doug

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2003, 01:59 am »
Quote from: jethro
I'm hoping that in a few years, a PMC monitor based on a 12" or 15" version of  ...

LOL...just found out PMC DOES make a sub to match the IB1 that is, in essence, an IB1 speaker without the mid and tweeter speakers. They also have subs matching the two models up from the IB1 with, respectively, 12 and 15 inch speakers. All require separate power and an external crossover.

jethro

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2003, 02:54 am »
Quote from: Dokter_doug
Quote from: jethro
I'm hoping that in a few years, a PMC monitor based on a 12" or 15" version of  ...

LOL...just found out PMC DOES make a sub to match the IB1 that is, in essence, an IB1 speaker without the mid and tweeter speakers. They also have subs matching the two models up from the IB1 with, respectively, 12 and 15 inch speakers. All require separate power and an external crossover.

I had the impression that the IB1/2 10" flat driver worked much better (less distortion, more punch) than the 12" and 15" radial drivers in the MB2 and BB5, and that even though the MB2 and BB5 had more low freq extension, the IB1/2 were special because of the flat driver. I haven't listened to the MB2 or BB5 - I 'm just going by what I have been told. I've heard rumours that they might try to build bigger flat drivers. James Tanner might be able to provide input on this.

The SB-100 might be good for a 5.1 music setup, but for an HT setup and 2 channel setup, I don't think it is worth it, since the extension of the SB-100 is the same as the IB1/2 and cheaper subs have a much lower extension (with more distortion) for HT.

I guess it really depends on how you use your setup.

Dokter_doug

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2003, 06:42 am »
When used for HT my subs seem to spend most of their time making "boom" type noises. I'm interested, primarily, in using an additional sub(s) to accept the .1 feed from SACD or DVD-Audio sources.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2003, 05:20 pm »
HI All,

OH the joys of subwoofers.
Have a look at my Newsletter on the Sub placement issue and see want you all think.--  http://www.bryston.ca/newsletters/45_files/vol4is5.html

The advantage of the SB100 sub even though it is the same size driver as the woofer in the IB1 and IB2 speaker is that it is specifically tuned to the cabinet to provide lower bass than the IB1. The other advantage of the separate box is that you can place it in a positin to maximize the output below 100 Hz or so.
The main advantage though is it is a TRANSMISSION LINE - there is no going back once you experience quality transmission line bass. The XB2 and XB3 will go lower than the SB100 even though the drivers are of different designs.
Remember these are non-powered subs so you need an amplifier to power them - which is better anyway than the cheap IC chip power amps normally used in onboard powered subs.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2003, 05:26 pm »
Now that I have your attention - have a look at my followup Newsletter on the difficulty of placing multiple subs.

By the way in the recording studio they use only one or three subs - never just 2.

james

http://www.bryston.ca/newsletters/57_files/vol5is7.html

afblaster

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2003, 09:29 am »
Hi James

Thanks for the info on sub placement  (newsletter 4/5).
Looks like I'll be getting some exercise over the holidays, shifting my TLE1 around the room!

Happy Christmas to you all

afblaster

jethro

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2004, 01:03 am »
Quote from: James Tanner
Now that I have your attention - have a look at my followup Newsletter on the difficulty of placing multiple subs.

By the way in the recording studio they use only one or three subs - never just 2.

james

http://www.bryston.ca/newsletters/57_files/vol5is7.html

James,

Do they use 1 or 3 subs to avoid cancellation when they are in phase ?
Is there any particular reason as to why you used two stacked SB-100's vs one of the larger PMC subs ?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2004, 03:12 pm »
HI,

Yes the purpose of the 3 - and they usually just use one - is to reduce the out of phase issues.
I now use the bigger PMC sub instead of the 2 stacked smaller ones.

james