Gallo 3.5 among 10 best "cost no object" speakers?

BigSwede

Re: Gallo 3.5 among 10 best "cost no object" speakers?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2011, 09:23 pm »
I auditioned 3.1s at a dealer...while I enjoyed the tweeter I felt my Von Schweikert VR-2s were a substantially better full-range speaker for about the same price. Of course, I never got to hear the Gallos in my room...the 3.5s would have to be a lot better on mids and lows before even considering it at $6K.

jaywills

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jan 2011, 01:10 pm »
Former Ref. 3.1 owner here, supplemented with Gallo's sub amp.  Don't have the 3.5's but I do have a pair of the Ref. Stradas that I run supplemented with a Vandersteen 2Wq sub (which also supplements my Quad 63's when I'm using them).  Sold the 3.1's only because I was beginning to feel guilty about having so many pairs of speakers (Celestion SL600's, Spendor S/P 1.2's, Maggie 1.5's, Dahlquist DQ10's, the Quads and the Gallos).  Although I kept the Quads and the Celestions, I soon began missing the Gallos, so I got the Stradas, which I really like and listen to the most these days.  Sold the Celestions.  Full disclosure, but I've never heard any speakers that cost more than $40K or so, so I really can't speak to whether the Gallos are "one of the best ever."  However, the Stradas do sound perceptibly better that the 3.1's.  I strongly suggest demo'ing a fully broken-in pair, if you get the chance.  Good luck.  Cordially,

OzarkTom

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2011, 02:00 pm »
I will add to what jaywillis said. Over the last 40 years, I have owned several pairs of Maggies including Tympani 1-D, Rogers LS 3/5a, Spendor SP1, Celestion SL 600, B&W 801 amd 802, Kef  105.2, Acoustat X, Acoustat 2+2, Acoustat III, stacked Quads, Quad 63, Meridian, Castle, Mordaunt-Short, Vandersteen 2-C, several pair of Thiels, and the list goes on and on. My current Gallo Stradas with sub is the most enjoyable system I have ever owned.

But these do sound like crap for the first 100-150 hours, so beware. I almost gave up on them. The Stradas other weekpoint or strongpoint if you will, they are so revealing of the equipment you hook up to it. Try to use the best. The Stradas are very good test monitors if you are evaluating other equipment.  Some recording studios are now using the Stradas as a reference monitor.

I have heard some of the $40-100k+ speakers. For most of the monster sized ones, you better have at least a 25x35 foot listening room with 12-15 foot vaulted ceiling or they will sound like crap. The Stradas will still out pinpoint the image and disappear over most of these high dollar speakers.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2011, 11:49 pm »
I auditioned 3.1s at a dealer...while I enjoyed the tweeter I felt my Von Schweikert VR-2s were a substantially better full-range speaker for about the same price. Of course, I never got to hear the Gallos in my room...the 3.5s would have to be a lot better on mids and lows before even considering it at $6K.

Having upgraded from 3.1s to 3.5s, I can honestly say they are a much improved speaker.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jan 2011, 05:09 am »
One good tribute to the 3.5's over the 3.1 is the fact that you can drive them with a decent SET amp now.
That would certainly put more body in the midrange.
I'm concidering to purchase the 3.5 because I can finaly drive them with the amp I love. (Almarro A318B)
Just my two cents worth.
That would make them almost worth the price increase.  They GOT to image well but, beyond that, I can't speculate.  I would like more height, however.  Least ways I think I would.  I'm wondering how much of their price increase is based on purely what the market will bear.  They are a unique design and may have been underpriced before, relatively speaking.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #25 on: 24 Jan 2011, 10:25 am »
Sorry for being so closed minded, but the heart of these speakers seem to be nothing more than an adaptation of their tiny/cool lifestyle speakers.  Frankly the 3.1, 3.5, and Strata all look like a hodgepodged design.  How can that be amoung the very best?   :scratch:

Must be good if someone is willing to fork over $2,700 for Mapleshade "stands" that put the $2,000 Stata just off the floor.   :scratch:

Let's add $4,000 speaker cables while we're at it.   :roll:

jaywills

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:37 pm »
Perhaps you should try listening to them...

OzarkTom

« Reply #27 on: 24 Jan 2011, 01:12 pm »
Yep, that is beung closed minded.

BTW, I am using the $450 stock stands with the Stradas and $25 Blue Jeam speaker cables. These Stradas are quicker and will out image any box speaker you can buy today.

Sorry for being so closed minded, but the heart of these speakers seem to be nothing more than an adaptation of their tiny/cool lifestyle speakers.  Frankly the 3.1, 3.5, and Strata all look like a hodgepodged design.  How can that be amoung the very best?   :scratch:

Must be good if someone is willing to fork over $2,700 for Mapleshade "stands" that put the $2,000 Stata just off the floor.   :scratch:

audio-heaven

« Reply #28 on: 24 Jan 2011, 04:11 pm »

Ahhh the perils of judging a book (or speaker) by it's cover, I see where you're coming from they are shall we say rather 'unconventional' looking speakers (some would say ugly) BUT when I finally heard the Stradas for myself their looks suddenly seemed totally irrelevant. In fact I was so impressed by what I heard 'I bought a pair' and have not regretted it for a second.
I can't speak about the older Gallo speakers 'as I have never heard them' but the Stradas are definitely not thin sounding in fact for their size the full bodied sound they put out is one of their most impressive attributes so I would suggest that this flaw has been totally overcome.
The other good bits are:

Great imaging, wall mountable without loosing too much in their imaging abilities.
Highly transparent.
No box colorations.
They go surprisingly low.
They are fast.
Small size.
Just very musical.

The best thing you could do is hear them for yourself although I must mention they are so transparent that to hear them at their best it's wise to partner them with the best ancillaries you can find.

Overall these are the best small speakers I have ever heard, sure I've not heard everything out there but I've heard speakers that cost a lot more than the Stradas that were not nearly as good.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #29 on: 24 Jan 2011, 04:42 pm »

Thought the same until I actualy heard them. We have two club members who own the Mapleshade modified Gallos. Using all Maplshade components these systems are just real sounding.
  Classical Piano and violin are breathtaking. Cymbals are portrayed so real its errie. If you would like to hear them, let me know.

charles
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2011, 08:48 pm by rollo »

srb

« Reply #30 on: 24 Jan 2011, 05:05 pm »
These Stradas are quicker and will out image any box speaker you can buy today.

some box speakers.....many box speakers.....most box speakers.....?

Steve

JLM

« Reply #31 on: 24 Jan 2011, 05:47 pm »
Here in the audio hinderlands most audio equipment is just rumor, but I have at least seen their lifestyle spheres in the flesh.  So much of what I think is based on theory, like I don't think much of MTM, and I doubt they would image better than my single driver speakers (with no stinking whizzer cones).

I hope to get to RMAF in 2011, so maybe I won't be quite as "blissfully ignorant".

I said I was sorry. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #32 on: 24 Jan 2011, 06:13 pm »

some box speakers.....many box speakers.....most box speakers.....?

Steve

All box speakers. The biggest design flaws of speakers is the crossover and the box, which slows it down. The Stradas have neither.

Even Strajan in the 6moons review of the 3.5's said the Stradas sounded more like ESL's.

Barry_NJ

« Reply #33 on: 24 Jan 2011, 08:19 pm »
Here in the audio hinderlands most audio equipment is just rumor, but I have at least seen their lifestyle spheres in the flesh.  So much of what I think is based on theory, like I don't think much of MTM, and I doubt they would image better than my single driver speakers (with no stinking whizzer cones).

I hope to get to RMAF in 2011, so maybe I won't be quite as "blissfully ignorant".

I said I was sorry. 

Fair enough, but your comment that these speakers are derivative of the smaller "Life-Style" offerings from Gallo is far off the mark.  Gallo began producing speakers in 1994, those first offerings were aimed at the Audiophile market and listed at $2,500 and $3,500. They were the Nucleus Solo, and Nucleus Reference. I still have, and greatly enjoy, a pair of Solos from late in '94...

In the late nineties the speakers were revised, and I had a pair of Nucleus Reference II speakers from late in '99 until some time in 2009...

After reading all the accolades that the Reference 3.1 was receiving, upgrade-itis hit me hard. So without an in home audition, I sold my Reference II speakers (I'm in contact with their new owner, and he's still quite happy with them) and began shopping for some used Reference 3.1 speakers.

Anthony began designing the "Life-Style" speakers in the late nineties in-order to make a living as his unusual audiophile design had an appearance that was difficult for many to overcome. The Micro and A'Diva lines did well, making the company financially successful, so a few years later Anthony again looked to the Audiophile market and the Reference 3.0 was born.

The Reference and Strada are really great speakers, and you ought to try to get a demo, especially before making derogatory comments on a product you have no experience with.

JLM

« Reply #34 on: 24 Jan 2011, 08:49 pm »
Sorry again.  Apparently I hit a nerve.

Barry my OP stated " they seem to be ..."  Thanks for the historical reminder to me of Gallo.

Tom, it perfectly OK to like your speakers, but your suppositions are flawed.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #35 on: 24 Jan 2011, 08:53 pm »

I said I was sorry.

JLM , no need to be sorry. Actually imaging is one of the strong points. Go figure. I tell ya they blew away the VMPS speakers at the last Rave in NJ. Not even close. We all were quite surprised. Live and learnski.

charles

OzarkTom

« Reply #36 on: 24 Jan 2011, 09:16 pm »

Actually, a great speaker designer back in the 80's taught me this. And he was 100% right.

Until you hear the Stradas, you will never know what you are missing.

Barry_NJ

« Reply #37 on: 24 Jan 2011, 09:23 pm »
Sorry again.  Apparently I hit a nerve.

Barry my OP stated " they seem to be ..."  Thanks for the historical reminder to me of Gallo.

No worries, I figured you weren't the only one who could use a Gallo history 101 refresher ;)

I am a huge fan of his speakers :D

OzarkTom

« Reply #38 on: 30 Jan 2011, 02:10 pm »

If anyone has noticed, open baffle and single driver speakers have become more plentiful in the last few years.

Here is a speaker project that would address to both the problems of boxes or crossovers. It could rival the Stradas or any other speakers in this caliber. At 95 db effeiciency at 1 watt and bass to 38 hz, this sounds like a big winner where the Stradas actually have their weakpoints.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/FRX.html

JLM

« Reply #39 on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:48 pm »
That FRX driver (looks like a field coil design) has a Fs of 70 Hz and is only rated to handle 17 watts (107 dB/m), but yeah I'd like to listen to it as it looks like a high quality unit.  Unfortunately I can't find any other impressions than Steve's and two he included in the write up.

Yes, OB has gained popularity in the last several years, but if we all followed the majority we'd all own Advents or B*se 901s.   :roll: