Any Quadcopter Pilots Out There?

Mudslide

Any Quadcopter Pilots Out There?
« on: 8 Jul 2015, 12:41 am »
I'm starting to get into the hobby...and it's a gas!  Are there any others on A/C that share dual audio-multirotor hobbies?  Dang stuff could rival audio in expense!   :o

If so, what are you flying?  How did you get into the hobby?

JohnR

Re: Any Quadcopter Pilots Out There?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2015, 03:13 pm »
I don't have one but just today a friend (actually his teenage daughter) gave me a demo of their new Parrot Drone. Pretty darn cool, I must say.

Mudslide

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2015, 04:17 pm »
That's pretty much how I got hooked...a neighbor brought his Phantom over and let me fly.  Here's a link to one of his videos using the Phantom.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daxATLzYWLE  Oh my!   :thumb:  I see why there are so many drones out there.  Helis are fairly slow, but multirotors can be racers. 

I lost my first one (a cheap Syma), but that hasn't deterred me.   :lol:  I guess that's mandatory to enter the hobby.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2015, 04:41 pm »
My wife would be thrilled if I got into another expensive hobby, I'm sure... Cool video nonetheless. I've never seen Lincoln City this way, and I haven't listened to Syro Gyra in how long??  8)

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2015, 04:58 pm »
We live on a lake where there are several local boat manufacturers testing boats and doing web and catalog photography each year. They use big 6 rotor drones with camera gear to do video clips of the boats underway for their sites. Very cool to watch them with someone really good at the controls. If they mess up, that's a TON of money into the water and they aren't at all water friendly. He said it would definitely sink like a stone and our lake is ~100' deep in spots.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2015, 05:38 pm »
Got scuba gear?  :lol:

jaywills

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2015, 06:00 pm »
I have a small Hubsan nose-camera mounted live feed copter that I use to chase the dog around the house.

Mudslide

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2015, 06:22 pm »
I have a small Hubsan nose-camera mounted live feed copter that I use to chase the dog around the house.

:lol:  That's the best use for one I've heard.   :lol:

Mudslide

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2015, 08:41 pm »
Here's my latest acquisition.  It has lots of great features and is dirt cheap.  Check out the videos.

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_147483.html

stlrman

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2015, 10:06 pm »
Hey Mud, we have a great open field down the street. Are they easy to fly ?
Could an eight year figure it out? Thanks!!

Mudslide

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2015, 05:29 am »
Hey Mud, we have a great open field down the street. Are they easy to fly ?
Could an eight year figure it out? Thanks!!

I would start out with a cheap quad and see how he/she does.  (Something like this ... http://www.amazon.com/Syma-Channel-2-4GHz-Explorers-Copter/dp/B00MNG37C2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436419575&sr=8-1&keywords=syma+x5c )  I think it would be fun but also a big challenge for an 8 year old.  Some (those with GPS) are pretty easy to fly...but those can get expensive.

On the other hand, if I can figure it out, so likely can an 8 year old.   :lol:  Just take baby steps in the learning curve, should you try it with him/her.  Save the picture or video taking after adequate flying skills develop.  The video from the Syma isn't too bad...especially for the price.