Hello. FWIW, I thought I'd introduce myself.

Folsom

Re: Hello. FWIW, I thought I'd introduce myself.
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jun 2015, 12:19 am »
What you call a filter and what an expert like Mr. Brown calls a filter may be two different things.
It's obviously designed for a very different frequency range.

Ya, when did he start working for Audience?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 5 Jun 2015, 10:05 am »
In my case I never had RF interference in this home, so there was no RFI to clean and ferrite should have cleared the harmonics of the music signal.
These AQ RF stopers was said to act at 100kHz.

Folsom

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jun 2015, 07:32 pm »
In my case I never had RF interference in this home, so there was no RFI to clean and ferrite should have cleared the harmonics of the music signal.
These AQ RF stopers was said to act at 100kHz.

You've got RF generated by lots of things in any home. The mistake is to assume you'll be able to identify it as an audible thing, as opposed to hearing the effects it has on electronics ultimately affecting your sound. Think of the RF as an evil mini doer that's inside your amp pulling and pushing on things, that only in certain circumstances travels to your speakers himself.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 6 Jun 2015, 11:11 am »
You've got RF generated by lots of things in any home. The mistake is to assume you'll be able to identify it as an audible thing, as opposed to hearing the effects it has on electronics ultimately affecting your sound. Think of the RF as an evil mini doer that's inside your amp pulling and pushing on things, that only in certain circumstances travels to your speakers himself.
Correct there is no audible interference.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #24 on: 6 Jun 2015, 01:54 pm »
It's a hidden problem for sure. Every new appliance, lighting unit or anything with a wall-wort has to potential to generate interference.

A small amount of background noise or interference is often the cause of components sounding different.  In the past it was a challenge to measure because just hooking up test equipment would change the situation enough to hide the problem.  But now battery powered O-scopes and digital recorders aid troubleshooting, but many listeners are not interested in finding out just why things sound different.

Folsom

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jun 2015, 06:01 pm »
It can be as bad as burning up a tweeter, without hearing the RF itself.

RF isn't the only thing, obviously, given that basically all equipment that doesn't have rather large transformers will make some common mode noise as well.

If anything, it's almost a dated thing to call it all RF, because to most it implies radio station interference. But it still fits the origin of the word.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #26 on: 6 Jun 2015, 07:50 pm »
IME VHF, UHF, RFI, digital transmission noise... whatever we want to call it is the prime thief of micro detail.  Like Speedskater mentioned power quality has to be addressed in order to unlock the potential of our systems.

Here it comes:  if power quality is not properly managed we do not know what our systems are really capable of in terms of SQ.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 6 Jun 2015, 07:56 pm »
Quality power cond equips are hard to find are results are little improvement at large expenditure.
So I prefer not using these equips as I cant hear RFI and I cant hear any improvement too.

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 15 Jun 2015, 05:14 pm »

In the photo - why isn't the green Safety Ground wire connected?

'Twas a work in process then.