PS Audio 700Ms why no topic to date?

HiOnFi

PS Audio 700Ms why no topic to date?
« on: 3 Jan 2019, 02:52 pm »
Im new  here, but so far am not able to find PS audio M 700 discussion

Anybody?

toocool4

Re: PS Audio 700Ms why no topic to date?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2019, 04:27 pm »
Why don’t you just try them and you will know for yourself? PS Audio do offer (I think 30 day) return policy. You can always check with PS Audio directly.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2019, 04:49 pm »
There has been some light discussion in other threads, but no threads specifically about the PS Audio class D amps. I have an 300S in the family room that gets use for several hours every day. It's a great amp and punches much higher than the street price.

HiOnFi

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2019, 05:24 pm »
I have owned quite a lot of PS Audio in the decades past and still have a GCC 250 that was moded almost 2 decades ago

I would not pay retail for them as eventually someone will sells theirs. I just missed a pair for <2K, so I would not do that to PS Audio, or any dealer who offers a free trial unless I was willing to pay MSRP

AND, Nord has a comparable ICE amp for ~ 1K, including shipping to usa

Actually, I communicated with Colin (Nord) they are not available as monos, BUT, if you buy two (~ 2K!)and connect individually as left/right, each puts out 1200w. HMMMMM!
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2019, 08:50 pm by HiOnFi »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2019, 01:01 pm »
Have you visited the PS Audio forum lately?  A biased crowd to be sure, but you could gleam some useful info. 

Note that the M700 only provides 5 dB more output than the S300 (for half the price/space/number of cabinets) as the relationship between watts of dB's is logarithmic. 

HiOnFi

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2019, 01:24 pm »
hanks. But it seems you are suggesting the only difference (at least in spec is 5 dB? Putting your comment into engine terms; isn't that like saying  the car is 3000 pounds and a 250 hp engine is only 10% more ponies than a 225 hp engine, when in fact there's a whole lot more in he seat of pants and visceral experience

Photon46

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2019, 01:49 pm »
I have owned quite a lot of PS Audio in the decades past and still have a GCC 250 that was moded almost 2 decades ago

I would not pay retail for them as eventually someone will sells theirs. I just missed a pair for <2K, so I would not do that to PS Audio, or any dealer who offers a free trial unless I was willing to pay MSRP

AND, Nord has a comparable ICE amp for ~ 1K, including shipping to usa

Actually, I communicated with Colin (Nord) they are not available as monos, BUT, if you buy two (~ 2K!)and connect individually as left/right, each puts out 1200w. HMMMMM!

The AS1200 module in the Nord is the latest iteration of Icepower's technology and does not require an input buffer, whereas the PS audio uses the many years older ASC series that requires an input buffer. Whether this matters may be a matter of preference and taste I suppose. I am not aware of any big name mainstream manufacturers that have implemented the newest series yet, probably because they were released only a year ago or so and the R&D and manufacturing pipeline moves more slowly for the big names.

HiOnFi

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2019, 02:00 pm »
Thanks, bt th PS Audio M700s are essentially new, are you sure they use the previous ice version? Colin replied to me that I communicate with Colin yesterday about 1200 monos. He says there's no need. Interesting suggestion, he said to simply get a second one as when using just one side of each they output 1200w

Now that's cool, BUT, that puts the ice price with spitting distance of the dual mono NCore Mk IIs

My head swims with options and decisions

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2019, 02:41 pm »
I think the input buffer on the PS Audio amps is what gives them a bit of their "magic." I find the 300S to sound more natural than previous class D amps I've tried. How much the buffer is contributing to this, I'm unsure...but, it is doing something and I think PSA has tuned the amps very nicely. I suggest giving both Nord and PS Audio a try if you can. That's the only way to find what's best for you.

HiOnFi

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2019, 02:46 pm »
Unfortunately,t hat won't happen with the Nords, and while PSA does, I do not want to be obligated to purchase at full MSRP

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2019, 02:52 pm »
There are fully authorized PSA dealers that will give you a 30 day trial without paying full MSRP. You just have to know where to go. :thumb:

Photon46

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2019, 07:02 pm »
Thanks, bt th PS Audio M700s are essentially new, are you sure they use the previous ice version? Colin replied to me that I communicate with Colin yesterday about 1200 monos. He says there's no need. Interesting suggestion, he said to simply get a second one as when using just one side of each they output 1200w

Now that's cool, BUT, that puts the ice price with spitting distance of the dual mono NCore Mk IIs

My head swims with options and decisions

The use of older ASC modules in PS Audio amps has been referenced in numerous reviews and product announcements since they were introduced. I honestly wouldn't let the fact that they use older design modules influence my decision to buy them, there are too many other design variables involved in whether any given amp will suit you and your system. I have an Icepower 1200AS module in a Mivera/Tackachi amp and it's a very natural sounding amp, nothing edgy or artificial sounding at all. I have a quite revealing system and the amp sounds really excellent with both my PS Audio BHK preamp and DeHavilland Ultraverve (the PS Audio BHK preamp is much more detailed and revealing than the DeHavilland.) I also have a PS Audio BHK stereo 250, the AS1200 module amp is definitely a more "easy going" and less hyper detailed amp. It took quite a bit of tinkering with power cords, different tubes, and speaker cables to get the BHK 250 voiced to my satisfaction whereas the AS1200 amp sounds good with any speaker cable and power cord I tried. I've reached the point in my audio life where I have decided the endless pursuit of the latest, greatest, most detail revealing technology is an endless path that doesn't necessarily lead to long term listening satisfaction. So many audiophiles get hung up on what's "best," or has the best specifications, etc. I just don't think that obsession leads to anything but audio nervosa and an inability to appreciate music.

RDavidson

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2019, 09:47 pm »
Agree. The newest, latest, greatest thing doesn't guarantee better performance. I think some people enjoy the chase while others are chained to it. It's "the sickness" that keep us all in this hobby one way or another, though some of us have been able to control flare-ups a bit better over time. :thumb:

toocool4

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jan 2019, 10:13 pm »
I would not pay retail for them as eventually someone will sells theirs.

So basically you want steak at burger prices? Move on and look for something in the price range you can afford.

Photon46

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2019, 10:34 pm »
So basically you want steak at burger prices? Move on and look for something in the price range you can afford.

That's a needlessly harsh evaluation of the OP's statement. PS Audio is a brand with a quirky pricing and if one is familiar with their retailing history and dealer network, one knows that deals are available for less than retail from more than one source. Nothing wrong with being aware of the market and where deals can be found. Buying components used and letting the first purchaser assume the worst of the depreciation curve is a sound strategy if someone is uncertain about a product being a long term keeper or if their tastes exceed their bank account. There's a necessary market symbiosis between those who want the latest and are willing to pay for it and those who are happy to buy good used equipment.
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2019, 11:40 pm by Photon46 »

RDavidson

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jan 2019, 10:42 pm »
^^^^^ +1

Also, making remarks that really don't contribute anything to the conversation in a constructive manner is not only a waste, but also a good way to put yourself on the facilitator's radar to be banned. There are plenty of other great sites for trolling. Just sayin'

toocool4

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2019, 10:47 pm »
if someone is uncertain about a product being a long term keeper

That is why you listen first and not just taking anyone’s word on face value.
I always go to my dealers listen and take things home and use it in my system for a weekend or week, that way I really know.

toocool4

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jan 2019, 10:54 pm »
^^^^^ +1

Also, making remarks that really don't contribute anything to the conversation in a constructive manner is not only a waste, but also a good way to put yourself on the facilitator's radar to be banned. There are plenty of other great sites for trolling. Just sayin'

Who is trolling? It’s perfectly valid statement to say look for something in a price range he can afford. I don’t go looking at Ferrari’s if all I can afford is a VW.

Photon46

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jan 2019, 11:39 pm »
That is why you listen first and not just taking anyone’s word on face value.
I always go to my dealers listen and take things home and use it in my system for a weekend or week, that way I really know.

You are most fortunate indeed to have a dealer close to you who's willing to support customer education and satisfaction like this. Unfortunately, the reality for most of us is that we have no dealer close by. I have to go to audio shows to listen to brands that interest me. That goes a long way towards narrowing the field but what sounds good in a show situation may not translate to our listening room so a certain level of uncertainty remains.

maxima95

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jan 2019, 02:06 am »
Who is trolling? It’s perfectly valid statement to say look for something in a price range he can afford. I don’t go looking at Ferrari’s if all I can afford is a VW.

First of all, you needlessly attacked the guy with a snarky post.  Secondly, who appointed you to tell the guy what to do?  No one; that's who.

Thirdly, why in the world would anyone pay a US dollar retail price for something when there are are alternatives  (favorable exchange rate such as Canada; dealer demo, open box, used) Does this fundamental premise escape you?