Recommends for lowering my 126 Votls w/o restricting dynamics or SQ!

Berto

I was interested in getting a NOS stanco variac but read they restrict dynamics and just bring the sound quality down. What would be a good solution, im running a tad wee bit hot.

Thx
Rob

richidoo

Check it again with a fresh battery in your meter. Low battery can give a high voltage reading.

If still 126VAC, call the electric utility. Only they can fix it. Too high voltage wastes energy and stress on appliances.

Found this about service voltage tolerance:
http://www.spgs-ground.com/information/acceptable-voltage-ranges

Your 126 may be within the standard +/-5% tolerance.

Occam

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Buck transformer perhaps -
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/buck-xfmr.htm

As usual excellent advice thanks, Paul.  We have 126v all day long.

charles

Occam

Mine also reads 126vac at all times here in Brooklyn. Frankly, I think we should be pleased as punch with our consistent 5% too high voltage. Not so high as to endanger the operation of our equipment, but as the infrastructure ages, all things being equal, it gives us a few years grace until we go seriously under voltage. That being said, fig 4 in the cited Rod Elliot article, wiring the buck transformer as a autotransformer is quite spiffy. A 200va 120vac primary:6.3vac secondary toroid transformer would be fine for a 20amp circuit.

But to adjust for only a 5% variance, personally, I wouldn't bother.

FWIW

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I was interested in getting a NOS stanco variac but read they restrict dynamics and just bring the sound quality down. What would be a good solution, im running a tad wee bit hot.

Thx
Rob

If it isn't spiking beyond 126, I don't think you need to touch it.

My limited understanding of things says that a little too high is much better than a little too low.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Check it again with a fresh battery in your meter. Low battery can give a high voltage reading.

If still 126VAC, call the electric utility. Only they can fix it. Too high voltage wastes energy and stress on appliances.

Found this about service voltage tolerance:
http://www.spgs-ground.com/information/acceptable-voltage-ranges

Your 126 may be within the standard +/-5% tolerance.

Electric Co. won't do squat.

I have had situations where I was a little high or a little low and they basically said it is within tolerance and wouldn't do anything.  This was followed by a "why do you care anyway?" comment.

George

Berto

Electric co said they will come by and chk it out. Meanwhile I bought a nos variac for cheap enough, so that I can resell it if SQ suffers.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
As usual excellent advice thanks, Paul. 
charles

+1

Always posts great info.   :thumb: