Treating the ceiling...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Treating the ceiling...
« on: 23 Apr 2004, 01:23 pm »
Seems like most people neglect this area (including myself until recently).

How are people treating their ceiling?

Right now I have a couple of 8th Nerve Seams, but I am thinking of putting up 3" thick foam.

Any thoughts?

George

sunshinedawg

Treating the ceiling...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2004, 03:06 pm »
I am interested in this as well.  I have a drop down ceiling over 2/3 of my room and the rest is bare joist with a plywood floor above.  I was wondering if I should stuff insulation between the dropdown or if I should remove all the ceiling panels and replace them with acoustic panels.

Carlman

Treating the ceiling...
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2004, 03:09 pm »
If you have drop tiles, replacing them with good acoustic tiles is an excellent choice.

I have a popcorn celing, no lights or fans, and it's 9' high.  It's almost as high as the room is wide, 11'.  I have no clue what my ceiling does to the sound.  So, I have no idea what to do with it.  I've been treating corners and such which is helping overall but, what more could I do?

-C

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Treating the ceiling...
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2004, 03:52 pm »
George,

> How are people treating their ceiling? <

I have two HF MiniTraps at the first reflection points on the ceiling in my home theater. Even though my ceiling angles upward, the angle is not sufficient to aim the reflections over my head to the rear of the room.

Stopping early reflections is probably what's needed for most ceilings, not counting bass trapping in the ceiling corners.

--Ethan

nathanm

Treating the ceiling...
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2004, 04:45 pm »
Totally untreated, painted drywall.  :oops:   I watched Mr. Whiner's videos where they were installing the traps in that guy's control room (very interesting demo by the way, Ethan! :thumb:) and got moony eyed at the thought of having wooden walls to freely screw stuff to. :bawl:  Ahh, it must be nice.  

I've contemplated doing a sort of pressure-fit wooden beam frame thing for my ceiling and suspending foam\diffusors from that.  Of course the possibility of stuff crashing down on my head is there.  I think it would help, as I still get slight echoes even with the dead end walls all foamed up.  Some folks say the spray adhesive pulls safely off walls without a problem, but I have my doubts.

Carlman

Treating the ceiling...
« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2004, 04:49 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
Of course the possibility of stuff crashing down on my head is there. I think it would help,...

Yeah, being a headbanger takes work.  Stop talking and start pressure fitting your contraption!

:lol:

srclose

Treating the ceiling...
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2004, 06:15 pm »
I say treat ceilings very well, they must feel bad being so often ignored.  :lol:

I've had some luck putting 8th Nerve Echoes at the first reflection points on the ceiling.  I would like to have some rigid fiberglass panels to experiment with but can't find the right ones around here

azryan

Treating the ceiling...
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2004, 08:25 pm »
srclose,

Are you talking about ceiling reflections with your 12.12's?
That's what you have right?
Or are you talking about another speaker/room?

A line source like the 12.12 has terribly little vertical output hitting the ceiling. Inherently way damped out floor/ceiling reflection compared to how most speakers output.

srclose

Treating the ceiling...
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2004, 10:45 pm »
A line source like the 12.12 has terribly little vertical output hitting the ceiling. Inherently way damped out floor/ceiling reflection compared to how most speakers output.

Yes, the 12.12 - I have been experimenting with room treatment and had a couple of echoes available so I tried the ceiling placement.  While I think they may be of some help, I have been juggling several variables and have yet to clearly isolate which variable is having what effect.  A lot of fine tuning to do and not much time to do it.

SRC

azryan

Treating the ceiling...
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2004, 11:53 pm »
Cool.

In my room I put up a large frame w/ fiberglass behind the speakers to kill a bad front to back echo I had. That was the only obvious room prob. I had.

I have thick quilts at the side reflection points and thought I'd go buy some compressed fiberglass, but I think I might not bother 'cuz I really don't have any probs. from the sidewalls it seems.

Taking down the side panels I don't even really hear much of a diff.

I know polyfilled quilts aren't at all the great broadband absorber compressed fiberglass is (I have corner tube traps of comp. fiberglass), but if there was a problem from the sidewalls the quilts should have made a clear enough diff. to tell me I need to then go buy the fiberglass.

I think. hehe

srclose

Treating the ceiling...
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2004, 01:07 am »
I'm in a room that's way too small, so I'm fighting overload.  I used the Jon Risch design for fiberglass panels using two 2x4 ft bats in frames that are centered behind the speakers, and bass traps in the back of the room.  I have an EighthNerve roompak+ as well.  Considering I also have a bunch of furniture crammed in there, it is amazing that I get such good imaging.  I still need to use the Rives Audio setup disk and RadioShack SPL meter to check positioning and then get systematic about adding/subtracting and moving the room treatments.  I'd like to have a couple of rigid fiberglass panels that I could easily move to different positions.