DIY panel bass trap question...

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« on: 5 Apr 2004, 02:25 pm »
Ethan, I have a question about your DIY bass trap recipe.  The standard one you show is of course designed to be built onto the wall.  Would it work to make a freestanding version (perhaps with feet) with a sealed back that you could either lean against the wall or stand up?  And if so, how would you alter the design to do this?  I rent (for the moment) and I doubt my landlord would appreciate the built in treatment! :wink:

If this could be done I was thinking that building a 4'X8' unit and hanging it like a cloud from the ceiling right in front of the DLP projector would be a good idea...what do you think?

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: DIY panel bass trap question...
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2004, 04:59 pm »
Rob,

Yes, you can build a back out of thick MDF or even thicker plywood, but the trap has to be placed right at the wall. Panel traps work on wave pressure, which is greatest at the room boundaries. If they're away from the wall (or ceiling) they are less effective. In contrast to porous absorbers that actually work better when spaced away.

--Ethan

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2004, 05:10 pm »
Ethan,

Good to see you on AudioCircle!

I have been trying to let people know how effective the MiniTraps have been in my system.

Great product and great service.

George

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2004, 08:33 pm »
When you say "at the wall," how close does it have to be?  Against it or would a couple inches be okay?

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2004, 02:12 pm »
Rob,

> When you say "at the wall," how close does it have to be?  Against it or would a couple inches be okay? <

I've never measured this so I can't say for sure. But there's no reason you can't build a back, and then have that back right up against the wall. I'm sure an inch or so space is fine, but a foot spacing will probably have a negative affect.

--Ethan

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2004, 05:55 pm »
Thanks.  Placing a wall mounted panel against the wall would be easy, but if I hang one from the ceiling there'd always be a gap of a couple inches (I'd rather not screw the panel directly to the ceiling).  Just wanted to know if that would work.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2004, 04:16 pm »
Rob,

> if I hang one from the ceiling there'd always be a gap of a couple inches <

Hanging a panel trap from the ceiling is an awful lot of work - believe me, I've done it! For that placement it probably makes more sense to use bass traps based on rigid fiberglass, either DIY or commercial.

--Ethan