Audio Rack Placement/Window problems

DARTH AUDIO

« on: 29 Apr 2004, 01:41 pm »
Hey All , I have a question in regards to where to place my audio rack. My rack size is 46"Wx38"Hx16"D(I'd rather have Linda's Rack :lol: ). Is there a right or wrong placement? Is it okay to place it in between your speakers on the rear wall? Or should it be off to the side with nothing between the speakers? My listening room is 25'x17'x9'. I will have the Von Schweikert VR-4jr's(when they come in!!) and thay have a front firing port. Also, what would you recommend if the wall to the left of my speaker has windows on it. Which acoustic products work best with windows. No WAF here!! So any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

8thnerve

« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2004, 01:52 pm »
I highly recommend not having anything in between the speakers.  Von Schweikerts really appreciate breathing room in between them.  I would put the rack off to the side, at least 3-4 feet from the corner.  You DON'T want the rack in the corner because it is a high pressure zone and the bass frequencies will vibrate your equipment.

Still waiting on my VR-4jr's in African Hazlewood...  I can't wait!!

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Audio Rack Placement/Window problems
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2004, 06:58 pm »
Gary,

> Is there a right or wrong placement? <

It seems to me that almost anywhere that's convenient is fine, so long as it's out of the way of the direct line of fire from your speakers. You should avoid putting it against the wall in the path of a first reflection, assuming you have acoustic treatment there, to maintain symmetry between the left and right sides. I can't imagine what harm would come from putting it anywhere in the rear of the room, but I am confused about your comment that your speakers are there. Are these rear speakers in a surround setup? Either way, if it's against the rear wall behind you I see no problem.

> Which acoustic products work best with windows. <

The goal is symmetric surfaces to the left and right of you for all wall areas between you and the speakers. So if you're six feet in front of the speakers, then the six feet of wall between you and the speakers should be the same on both sides. For best results you also want to avoid reflections in that zone, as explained in the "RFZ" sidebar in my Acoustics FAQ. So if you have treatment on one side and a window on the other, you want some sort of curtain - as heavy as possible - in front of the window.

--Ethan

pugs

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2004, 03:23 am »
I had my rack in the corner for a while.  My right speaker was only about 1ft away from it.  Orginally, it was made out of 3' threaded rod and had four shelves.  I broke it up into two separate racks each made with 12" rod and put them between my speakers.  My system sounds a lot better now.