Poll

Which would you choose?

I would take my own room and go to town on it.
20 (64.5%)
I choose to be out in the big room where my speakers can breathe.
9 (29%)
I'd get a headphone setup.
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: 29 Apr 2004, 12:45 am

Let's make a deal!

warnerwh

Let's make a deal!
« Reply #20 on: 30 Apr 2004, 02:09 am »
As I'm getting ready to buy a house with my girlfriend I certainly understand this anguish.  Personally I have to have a room that is a bare minimum of 15x18, period.  It also has to be able to be closed off from the rest of the house.  It will be soundproofed with double walls if necessary as I like to listen loud and late. This means we have to have a house with a living room and another room for me.  We haven't even started looking at the insides of houses but will this weekend.  I'm confident a house for our middle class incomes will be found.  I'm using VMPS Supertower/R SE's and a bedroom won't cut it.  My point is if you haven't got your house yet Josh, Look hard.  You may find something that will work out well for the both of you.   Also if necessary you can take a wall out between two bedrooms, this is my last ditch plan if necessary.  Best of luck to you and your new wife.

hmen

Let's make a deal!
« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2004, 02:40 am »
Your own room is the only way to go.  I've been in both situations. Aside from the obvious freedom to put what you want wherever you want you also have freedom to use your system whenever you want. When my system was in the living room I couldn't use it when my wife was watching TV or if she had friends visiting. Now that my setup is in the basement I can use it any time I want without disturbing  anybody and without anybody disturbing me.

Daniel

Let's make a deal!
« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2004, 09:58 pm »
Quote from: hmen
...when my system was in the living room I couldn't use it when my wife was watching TV or if she had friends visiting. Now that my setup is in the basement I can use it any time I want without disturbing  anybody and without anybody disturbing me.

The TV should be in the basement, not the stereo, dude.  Who wears the pants in your family anyway?!?  Maybe we need to get some group therapy going here and bang on some drums or something.

nathanm

you married guys are bumming me out! ;)
« Reply #23 on: 30 Apr 2004, 10:19 pm »
It never fails to surprise me just how seemingly universal the dislike women have for speakers, and especially: the sheer 'horror' of them being separated by any distance from an adjacent wall. (???). Is it really that bad?  Most speakers today are pretty good looking.  I could see women objecting to those really large boxes from the '70s but these days everything is generally pretty sleek and elegant looking.  There's plenty of really beautiful wood veneers, I mean we're not talking black-carpeted PA cabs with steel grille plates and metal corner protectors here.  Yeah there's some ugly designs too, but geez most of the pics I see from these conventions aren't anything hideous. Is there not a married guy here that has a spouse who thinks speakers are cool?  I mean, what's the deal?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Let's make a deal!
« Reply #24 on: 30 Apr 2004, 10:40 pm »
My wife likes the way the RM40's look.  They are in the main living room pulled out about 4 feet (measured to the front baffle).  Guess I just got lucky. . .

ScottMayo

Re: you married guys are bumming me out! ;)
« Reply #25 on: 9 May 2004, 11:45 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
It never fails to surprise me just how seemingly universal the dislike women have for speakers, and especially: the sheer 'horror' of them being separated by any distance from an adjacent wall. ... Is there not a married guy here that has a spouse who thinks speakers are cool? I mean, what's the deal?

I have a big pair of old Infinity speakers flanking a brick fireplace in the living room. They are 5.5' tall and 1.5' wide, boxes with black cloth grilles. Even though I have a large, open living room, they are what people see first.

My wife is highly tolerant of them. She's a singer and she appreciates music, for one thing; for another, in a house with two kids, the chaos of papers, toys and books all over the floor make decorating concerns moot anyway. To put things in perspective, on top of the speakers are a plushy Cthulhu and a plushy Nyarlathotep(*). Fashion statements are a non-issue around here.

On the other hand, she owns frogs, salamanders, and about nine species of turtles, swimming in huge vats of water in the upstairs den. Some people have a jacuzzi in the master bedroom: we have large rubbermaid tubs of lukewarm water with turtles staring out of them. Her tanks have more visible wires than my stereo does.

For pity sake, people. If you didn't marry a woman as off the wall as you are - audiophiles as a rule aren't sane - you've got no one to blame but yourself. Give me a wife with turtles, a green belt in Kenpo and a preference for jeans, over one of these horrors with a perfect house, perfect fingernails, and zero spirit of fun.

(*) They are sound treatments for excess high frequency sound from the rear firing tweeters. Yup. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2004, 01:25 am »
Quote from: nathanm
It never fails to surprise me just how seemingly universal the dislike women have for speakers.........

Hot pink goes a long way towards WAF--

PhilNYC

« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2004, 02:51 am »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder

Except for the fact that Gilbert (from Blue Circle, and the owner of these lovely pink speakers) does not have a wife...  :o

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #28 on: 10 May 2004, 04:10 am »
Quote from: PhilNYC
Quote from: Tonto Yoder

Except for the fact that Gilbert (from Blue Circle, and the owner of these lovely pink speakers) does not have a wife...  :o
Phil, Does he know Mary Kay ?? :?

Tonto Yoder

Let's make a deal!
« Reply #29 on: 10 May 2004, 11:13 am »
Speaking of pink & lovely  :lol: -------

pjchappy

Let's make a deal!
« Reply #30 on: 10 May 2004, 09:15 pm »
UMMM, is that another 'hobby' of an AC member?   :lol:

p

Tonto Yoder

Let's make a deal!
« Reply #31 on: 10 May 2004, 10:27 pm »
Quote from: pjchappy
UMMM, is that another 'hobby' of an AC member?   :lol:

p

Don't you recognize the Floobie Dust Fairy?? He goes throughout the land waving his magic wand, turning Eupen power cords into JPS Wondercords.
$1.99 Blu-Tack into  $10 Audiophile Blu-Tack and Korsun amps into ones from Red Rose.