Help used amp setup

HT cOz

Help used amp setup
« on: 9 Aug 2018, 09:54 pm »
Hello

I’m connecting four downstairs ceiling speakers to this Sherbourne amp that I got on eBay. I plan to run each speaker mono which is an option via switch. These are just house music speakers and not part of a media room etc. However I’m not sure which terminals to use and I can’t find Owners manual for Sherbourn LDS 1645

Here is a pic

srb

Re: Help used amp setup
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2018, 10:37 pm »
If you're running a channel in mono mode you can use either the L+ & L-  OR  the R+ & R- speaker terminals, it doesn't matter which.

If you're bridging any pair of channels for more power (likely only recommended for 8 ohm speakers), you would connect the L+ & R+ speaker terminals.

The INPUT SELECT switches for channels 2, 3 & 4 should be set to Input 1 to receive the same signal that is connected to Input 1 RCA jacks.  If you need to use additional Group B channels, then its input select switches should be set to Input 1 (on Input 5) and the switches for channels 6, 7 & 8 then set to Input 5.

Steve

HT cOz

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2018, 10:48 pm »
Thanks Steve that all makes perfect sense.  I totally forgot how heavy old school amps used to be.   :thumb:

srb

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2018, 11:33 pm »
I believe the weight is ~ 60lb.

Most zone amps usually have one large power supply to run all of the channels, as opposed to some HT amps that might have dedicated power supplies (including individual transformers) for each channel, so I don't think spreading out the channels would make any difference as far as load balancing power supplies.

But depending how the channels' output devices / heatsinks are configured internally, there might be some thermal advantage in spreading it out?  For example if running 4 mono speakers, connecting them to channels 1, 3, 5, 7 ?

Steve
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2018, 01:51 am by srb »

HT cOz

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2018, 04:47 am »
This pic is worth a good laugh