Just went all in on a Moscode rebuild

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Just went all in on a Moscode rebuild
« on: 17 Apr 2021, 08:05 pm »
I've had a Moscode 300 sitting in the garage for 8-10 years.  And a broken down old amp just isn't worth much.  So the question was, do I sell it as junk, or bring it back to life to recoup the value?  If you bring it back, do you upgrade it?  How far do you upgrade?  Is it a $250 amp, a $750 amp, or something else. 
For years I tried to get it fixed, but the main guy simply wasn't interested. My friend Gary Dodd, who could fix anything, had it but lost his own battle with heart disease.   Local guys tried, but had no clue.  Back it went to the storage building.
Finally, I decided to see if the main guy would respond to a request to upgrade--- and got a response almost immediately.  So down the rabbit hole we go.  He has it for a month, three months, 5 months before he gets to it.  Hours to fix it, upgrade #1, then upgrade #2, then upgrade #3..... Add shipping two ways and you've spent more than the value of the amp. 
So, it's ready to come home, add new circuits, remove some circuits, triple the power cap uF, super duper double mosfets, new resistors, some new polycaps, changed to different type tubes. 
So this is not supposed to be your grand dad's old Moscode 300.  I run a Moscode 401HR as my main amp, and I've been very happy with it.  I'll report back with how this one compares.  If it can push it's newer sibling then it will be money well spent.  If not, then it's simply a slightly expensive backup amp. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Just went all in on a Moscode rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2021, 08:36 pm »
Nice!  I love it when life can be breathed into old amps.  And you can never have too many amps.  I think I’m up to 7 amps myself these days :o. Even if you have a main amp, it’s nice to have other flavors to play with.

S Clark

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2021, 08:54 pm »
Oh, let's not count amps :oops:... that's just counter to my mental health. Next you'll suggest counting turntables... the set up ones are the Victor TT81, the Technics SP10 MKii, and the Vyger.  Then there's the Collins broadcast table, a JVC QL-F6 (thanks John The Chair Guy), another JVC, a funky old Garrard, a couple of malfunctioning  B&O's, a Dual- nope gave that one away. 

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2021, 08:55 pm »
Oh, and I forgot the Yamaha.   :lol:  There may be more...

Nick B

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2021, 10:11 pm »
Oh, let's not count amps :oops:... that's just counter to my mental health. Next you'll suggest counting turntables... the set up ones are the Victor TT81, the Technics SP10 MKii, and the Vyger.  Then there's the Collins broadcast table, a JVC QL-F6 (thanks John The Chair Guy), another JVC, a funky old Garrard, a couple of malfunctioning  B&O's, a Dual- nope gave that one away.

You have some B&O turntables??  Loved my 4004 until that linear tracking arm refused to lift up... Still the best looking piece of audio equipment I’ve ever owned  :thumb: As to a Moscode, I’ve always wanted to own one

S Clark

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2021, 10:41 pm »
You have some B&O turntables??  Loved my 4004 until that linear tracking arm refused to lift up... Still the best looking piece of audio equipment I’ve ever owned  :thumb: As to a Moscode, I’ve always wanted to own one
Yep, I went from a cheap Garrard to a Dual to a BIC to a B&O.  Of all of those basic autochangers, I think I liked the BIC the best.  I tried to upgrade the Shure on it to the V15 and never could make it sound right.  Before the internet if you were trying to mount a cartridge with no experience, you really didn't have a chance.  I gave up and bought a lower range B&O.  And it served me well through my decades with a 60 wpc Sherwood receiver. When my brother gave up his system, he gave me his mid level B&O.

But back to the Moscode, I used the little 300 for several years before old age took it down.  Gary Dodd fixed it once.  And when it went down again,  I bought a newer model. 

Nick B

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2021, 12:16 am »
Yep, I went from a cheap Garrard to a Dual to a BIC to a B&O.  Of all of those basic autochangers, I think I liked the BIC the best.  I tried to upgrade the Shure on it to the V15 and never could make it sound right.  Before the internet if you were trying to mount a cartridge with no experience, you really didn't have a chance.  I gave up and bought a lower range B&O.  And it served me well through my decades with a 60 wpc Sherwood receiver. When my brother gave up his system, he gave me his mid level B&O.

But back to the Moscode, I used the little 300 for several years before old age took it down.  Gary Dodd fixed it once.  And when it went down again,  I bought a newer model.

Can you give me a model # on the BIC? I’d like to look it up. As to the B&O turntables, it’s amazing how Peter Ledermann made B&O compatible cartridges. So glad Peter is recovering. I enjoy seeing his YouTube videos and those of Frank Schroeder as well. Incredibly talented designers  :thumb:
As to that upgraded Moscode, I’m quite curious what you’ll think. An audio friend on another site sent in his vintage and beloved preamp in for a repair and never got it back. The hazards of dealing with designers who are quite advanced in age...

S Clark

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2021, 02:05 am »
I had the BIC 980.  Middle of the line IIRC.  I think they were made in the US, Minnesota, maybe??

Nick B

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2021, 03:05 am »
I had the BIC 980.  Middle of the line IIRC.  I think they were made in the US, Minnesota, maybe??

Thanks. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that BIC table before  :thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2021, 11:38 pm »
So one of the real questions here is when does it stop paying dividends to upgrade/mod old gear?  The guy working on it says its now in his system going back and forth with a Moscode 401HR and compares favorably.  The 401HR is my anchor amp in my big system. IF what he says is true, then it will be money well spent. 
But as almost everyone at AC knows, you can fall into the rabbit hole in any aspect of stereo.  I've always questioned the wisdom of spending more on a mod than the gear cost. A few years back, I picked up a pair of Altec Valencias for $200, then spent $200 on voice coils, then spent $200 getting Danny R to design and upgrade the crossoever--- but all of that is still below the market value of the speakers.  This is going to put around $1300 into an amp that sells for $700 unmodded.  We will see if it pays off. 

Nick B

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2021, 11:44 pm »
So one of the real questions here is when does it stop paying dividends to upgrade/mod old gear?  The guy working on it says its now in his system going back and forth with a Moscode 401HR and compares favorably.  The 401HR is my anchor amp in my big system. IF what he says is true, then it will be money well spent. 
But as almost everyone at AC knows, you can fall into the rabbit hole in any aspect of stereo.  I've always questioned the wisdom of spending more on a mod than the gear cost. A few years back, I picked up a pair of Altec Valencias for $200, then spent $200 on voice coils, then spent $200 getting Danny R to design and upgrade the crossoever--- but all of that is still below the market value of the speakers.  This is going to put around $1300 into an amp that sells for $700 unmodded.  We will see if it pays off.

You’re a brave man to venture down this path .... :)

S Clark

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2021, 12:38 am »
I just hope that Brave=/=Foolish.  It was one of those either fix it or dump it.  So I decided to fix it properly.  Usually, I don't regret $ spent on quality.  Sort of like spending the extra bucks on NM vinyl instead of VG+.   You don't miss the extra bucks, but hear the damn tics every time you play the lp.  We'll see if that's the case this time. 

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2021, 07:50 am »
Hi,

I know how you feel as I've had a titanic battle fixing an old bluenote piccolo turntable and so far I've had a new motor, pulley, belt, dust cover and tonearm cable.  The tonearm cable stopped the persistent hum that was in the system. The latest is that the platter wobbles a bit but it would cost me another $300au and I just don't want to spend the money.  I guess I don't like throwing gear out but enough is enough lol.

Anyway I hope the amplifier works well for you.

Cheers Rod

genjamon

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2021, 05:20 pm »
Yeah, but if it has good bones...

I look at it this way: it was worth nothing sitting in your garage.  Now you're putting $1300 into it.  So the important question is whether it outperform as a $1300 amp?  $1300 for a hybrid 150wpc amp that competes well with a Moscode 401HR sounds like it could be a good deal to me.   

guf

« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2021, 05:35 pm »
Nice!  I love it when life can be breathed into old amps.  And you can never have too many amps.  I think I’m up to 7 amps myself these days :o. Even if you have a main amp, it’s nice to have other flavors to play with.
off topic: its good to have a variety of amps to help you realize why you love your daily driver.

S Clark

« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2021, 12:55 am »
Well, the Moscode 300 is back.  New caps, bigger caps, new tubes, rewired, double die mosfets, new switch, and it sounds like it.  UPS tried to destroy it, but I'd waaaayyyy overpacked it so that nothing short of an elephant stampede would crush it.  Corners torn off, box wet, punctures... even the the UPS driver was apologetic and offered advice about filing a claim.   

But, the extra packing paid off and it's now playing in my small room.  So far, so really, really good.  I'll move it into the big system tomorrow and report back.   :thumb:

Nick B

« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2021, 01:05 am »
That’s great news and your extra work paid off  :thumb:  Am curious how you’ll like it in your main system

Bemopti123

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2021, 01:54 am »
Well, the Moscode 300 is back.  New caps, bigger caps, new tubes, rewired, double die mosfets, new switch, and it sounds like it.  UPS tried to destroy it, but I'd waaaayyyy overpacked it so that nothing short of an elephant stampede would crush it.  Corners torn off, box wet, punctures... even the the UPS driver was apologetic and offered advice about filing a claim.   

But, the extra packing paid off and it's now playing in my small room.  So far, so really, really good.  I'll move it into the big system tomorrow and report back.   :thumb:

We need some audiop---n of this piece!  Common man!

S Clark

« Reply #18 on: 6 May 2021, 03:48 am »
Ok, here is a Moscode 300 with most of the mods mine has..... topless!!

« Last Edit: 6 May 2021, 01:38 pm by S Clark »

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #19 on: 6 May 2021, 04:19 pm »
I had one of those for over 30 years.   Loved it!