NAD M33 and X-LS Encore (upgrade)

Joris

NAD M33 and X-LS Encore (upgrade)
« on: 4 Sep 2021, 10:47 am »
Recently I bought a NAD M33 to replace my old system. Now it is connected to my 10 year old Dynaudio Excite X16's (https://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued-models/excite/x16#tech-specs).
I knew that they wouldn't be up to par with the M33, so I decided to replace them. As I love DIY I came across the X-LS Encore (upgrade).
But before I purchase these I have some questions.

First of all, as I am not technical. The Excite 16's have 4 ohm load and a sensitivity of 87 dB. The X-LS Encore is an 8 ohm with a sensitivity of 87 dB. Does this mean they are louder at the same input level from the M33?

But what I am really interested in is this. The M33 is a beast and I want to do it justice by connecting good speakers to it. I know these might be a tough questions, but maybe someone can help me out.

Are the X-LS Encores a substantial upgrade over the Excite's? And do they belong in the same audio quality category as the M33?

Furthermore the Excite's are, sound wise not the warmest speakers. What is the sound of the X-LS Encores like? (As I live in The Netherlands I unfortunately do not have the possibility to listen to them).

It looks like the X-LS Encores do not produce the lower bass as the Excite's. If a decide to pair the encores with a subwoofer. What would be a good combination?

Hope someone can help me.
Thanks,
Joris

caryking

Re: NAD M33 and X-LS Encore (upgrade)
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2021, 12:49 pm »
I appreciate this post.  I am in the same boat wanting to consider Encore’s.  Everything I’ve read says they are excellent; however, I haven’t been able to hear about the sound character.

Those in the know, please provide as much as possible as I’m unable to hear them in person.  Also, I do not plan on building mine; so, the price is going to get up there, for me...

RonP

Re: NAD M33 and X-LS Encore (upgrade)
« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2021, 01:18 pm »
Here's a little on the sound:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=170542.msg1873043#msg1873043

I'm currently using the floor-standing version of the X-LS with 2 subs. It's amazing.

So for more bass out of the X-LS, you can add a sub or use the MTM configuration. (or both  :lol:)

Sub:The Servo Sub Kit 4 or 5 is great. Be careful which sub model you order if you think you'll want to add more subs to the same plate amp in the future. The subs come in different models with different ohm loads.

MTM: The X-CS center channel can be used as a left/right speaker as well. Just turn it on it's side. There's also a floor standing version of both the X-CS and the X-LS.

Be sure to talk to someone @ GR to double check everything before you order