Home Theater Receiver That will Play Multichannel DSD files via the Network

ebag4

My Home Theater is very simple to keep the operation of it very simple, it currently consist of a Oppo UHD 203 feeding Outlaw 200 Monoblocks.  The Oppo has a fire stick plugged into the HDMI input, the system is used to stream Netflix, Prime, etc.  My wife has taken an interest in listing to music on this system as of late.  The issue is that she likes multichannel music, and I cannot do that given my current setup unless I feed the Oppo an optical disc.  I have multichannel DSD files on my NAS, however the Oppo only does stereo via the network.

I am looking for a receiver or a pre-pro that will allow me to play multchannel dsd files via the network and has the ability to play stereo files as multichannel.   The Marantz SR7012 will play DSD files via the network, I believe it will upsample stereo to multichannel as well, I cannot determine if it will play multchannel files via the network.  Does anyone know if the Marantz or any other unit will play multichannel dsd files via the network?

Thanks,
Ed

witchdoctor

The Marantz will play a stereo file in many different formats. I have the 7702 processor, let me know if you have questions. Here is a breakdown from the manual:

http://manuals.marantz.com/SR7012/EU/EN/DRDZSYhrhvtgzs.php

The Marantz will connect to your network via DLNA. Here is a list of the supported file formats:

http://manuals.marantz.com/SR7012/EU/EN/GFNFSYwdunaavt.php

WC

I was looking into multi-channel audio streaming and basically came to the conclusion that  it was not supported over a network without having a PC at the endpoint and using Roon, JRiver, or similar PC software. Even with Roon the endpoint has to be a Roon Direct endpoint that supports multichannel, which is essentially a computer. You would need an AV Receiver with HDMI in to connect the computer to. DSD is a separate subset of multichannel. I think most AV receivers will support DSD in pure direct mode, but other than the AV receiver Witchdoctor posted information I don't know for sure. I don't have any DSD files. Mine are all PCM.

ebag4

Thanks guys, been reading a bit, lot of conflicting info.  One thread mentioned that DLNA doesn’t support MC SACD ISOs but MC DSD (.dsf) files are not an issue. 

The Marantz looks like it will decode MC DSD, but only 2 channel via the network, if I am missing something please point me in the right direction.

Still reading.

Best,
Ed

Edit: interesting ( to me anyway) I am able to play MC DSD files from my NAS using Oppo’s built in playback, however the same album via Roon plays mapped down to 2 channel.  I found on a Roon thread that the Oppo implementation of Roon End Point does not allow for MultiChannel.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2019, 04:16 pm by ebag4 »

Kal Rubinson

My Home Theater is very simple to keep the operation of it very simple, it currently consist of a Oppo UHD 203 feeding Outlaw 200 Monoblocks.  The Oppo has a fire stick plugged into the HDMI input, the system is used to stream Netflix, Prime, etc.  My wife has taken an interest in listing to music on this system as of late.  The issue is that she likes multichannel music, and I cannot do that given my current setup unless I feed the Oppo an optical disc.  I have multichannel DSD files on my NAS, however the Oppo only does stereo via the network.

I am looking for a receiver or a pre-pro that will allow me to play multchannel dsd files via the network and has the ability to play stereo files as multichannel.   The Marantz SR7012 will play DSD files via the network, I believe it will upsample stereo to multichannel as well, I cannot determine if it will play multchannel files via the network.  Does anyone know if the Marantz or any other unit will play multichannel dsd files via the network?

The Oppo will play multichannel files via the network and you can connect its output to the AVR.

ebag4

Thanks for the reply Kal.  Yes, I learned that the limiting factor was with Oppo’s application of the Roon endpoint.  I was able to play multi channel using the Oppo player.

Best,
Ed

Kal Rubinson

Thanks for the reply Kal.  Yes, I learned that the limiting factor was with Oppo’s application of the Roon endpoint.  I was able to play multi channel using the Oppo player.
Oh.  I didn't realize that Roon was involved.  I do this with JRiver or, if necessary, with Oppo's network GUI.