Legal inexpensive way to record TV?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Legal inexpensive way to record TV?
« on: 12 Mar 2018, 02:48 am »
Is there a way to do this that doesn't cost so much and have monthly fees?  I have Spectrum Cable (TWC). 

jpm

Re: Legal inexpensive way to record TV?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2018, 03:01 am »
Well, there are still VCR's here and there in pawn shops and on eBay but I suspect you have other requirements. You want to record in HD? You want to be able to stream recordings at home / remotely?  Though I have yet to try it myself, PLEX is making a big thing of their new recording feature but it may require purchasing a PLEX pass.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2018, 03:09 am »
Some Smart TV do it, not sure how many time they rec.

gab

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2018, 03:44 am »
TIVO OTA Lifetime subscription. I've been doing it for 10 years. Very reliable hardware in my case. Pays for my audio equipment habit.

gab

srb

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2018, 04:41 am »
TIVO OTA Lifetime subscription.

Yes, but jtwrace wants to record Spectrum/TWC Digital Cable TV, not OTA Antenna Broadcast.  TiVo only offers free lifetime subscriptions on OTA DVRs, not on Cable DVRs.

When I had digital cable (Cox) I used to record on the PC with a CableCARD TV tuner, Windows 7 and Windows Media Center.  Windows Media Center is the only computer DVR program that can decrypt encrypted cable, and that is usually most of the channels other than local network channels on the majority of digital cable systems.  But Windows Media Center was discontinued in Windows 10 (it used to be available as a separate add-on for Windows_8).

After Windows Media Center was discontinued, the Microsoft provided TV Guide service kind of went to pot as well, so Digital Cable TV recording on the PC is not something I recommend any more (besides requiring Windows 7).

TiVo is the only third-party DVR I would consider using, but with annual subscription required for cable guide service, it isn't super cheap.

If you do decide you want to record digital OTA antenna broadcasts, I now do that on the PC with a Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD PCIe card (~ $90) and JRiver Media Center software.

Steve
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2018, 08:28 am by srb »