ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

funkmonkey

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1520 on: 20 Apr 2010, 02:19 am »
George, I'm very sorry to hear about your second EML failure.  I have been enjoying my HW CV-378, though it is a bit softer on the bottom end and not quite as open up top as the EML, it is more forgiving on those not-so-great recordings.

A few weeks back when I read through the warranty for the EML it sounded like it was guaranteed as long as you didn't actually use it.  Okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration.  Has anybody actually been able to get one replaced under warranty?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1521 on: 20 Apr 2010, 10:40 am »
Neither of the my dead EML tubes were covered under warranty because I was the second owner.  I bought my first EML tube lightly used from Rydenfan and my second one (even more lightly used) from ted_b.  In both cases, I know the tube was well cared for and maintained.

This part is purely conjecture on my part, but both tubes were purchased relatively close to each other at the start of 2009, maybe there was something about the tubes produced around that time that causes them to have such a short life???

If you have an EML tube that died prematurely, can you either post or PM me your purchase date?

Thanks,

George

Bigfish

« Reply #1522 on: 20 Apr 2010, 11:28 am »
I was one of the early users of the EML Mesh and purchased my tube in December, 2008. 

Ken

tomm

« Reply #1523 on: 20 Apr 2010, 02:34 pm »
Ken,
Your EML is the tall one,  about hour many hours it had on it.

Bigfish

« Reply #1524 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:21 am »
Ken,
Your EML is the tall one,  about hour many hours it had on it.

I am totally guessing as I primarily listen on the weekends due to my travel schedule.  Probably 500 plus or minus.  I really do not know but the unit is seldom played during the week. 

jriggy

« Reply #1525 on: 22 Apr 2010, 05:28 pm »
I have the super expensive metal base, but I actually prefer this over it in my system:

http://www.tubemonger.com/1970s_Bel_NOS_NIB_GZ34_5AR4_Philips_Mullard_OEM_p/3.htm

I won't say it is as good as the EML, but it gets close.

George

George,

In preparation for the possibility of my EML failing soon, I picked up one of these Bel GZ34's... Visually the size difference is shocking! Its making me embarrassed  :oops:  :lol:
What is your take on its characteristics???

sfig

« Reply #1526 on: 23 Apr 2010, 02:05 am »
I just ordered the BEL tube as well for the same reason.  My EML has about 130 hours on it so far.

NickS

« Reply #1527 on: 23 Apr 2010, 02:12 am »
I bought my first EML tube lightly used from Rydenfan and my second one (even more lightly used) from ted_b. 

We don't seem to hear much from Ted or David around here anymore. 

Wonder what alternatives they might have discovered that would keep them away and find them selling their penultimate rectifiers...

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1528 on: 23 Apr 2010, 03:02 am »
We don't seem to hear much from Ted or David around here anymore. 

Wonder what alternatives they might have discovered that would keep them away and find them selling their penultimate rectifiers...

I'm still very active on AC, just not on this thread anymore due to my selling my MW TP.  I loved it, but for both sonic and non-sonic reasons moved onto a Mac-based computer audio setup (for another thread and another discussion).  My MW loyalties are still very strong though; his black anodized KWA 150 monoblocks are at my place now and I'm likely not gonna let him have them back.  :)

Syrah

« Reply #1529 on: 23 Apr 2010, 01:30 pm »
Hopefully Dan will come out with a top notch DAC soon (once the technology settles down a bit) and we can talk about rolling tubes in that!

Berto

« Reply #1530 on: 23 Apr 2010, 03:28 pm »
Just sent my MWTP across the country for some service.  I forgot the exact post but someone in here mentioned that they talked to Dan who said he could lower the voltage/power going to the rectifier.  With all this early EML failure talk , I figured it could only help me.

FWIW bought my EML 2/16/09. Guessin it has 1200+ hrs on it.

WG

« Reply #1531 on: 25 Apr 2010, 08:40 pm »
My EML failed today.  I ordered the end of January, 2009, but I seem to recall there was a delay in shipping.  When the news came out of need to have the Transporter upgrade to avoid issues, I sent my unit to Dan for the upgrade.  I would guess I had approximately 750-1000 hours on it.  While I did enjoy this tube, I am unwilling to invest in another one--beautiful in sound and appearance, but too short a life span.

Will

dminches

« Reply #1532 on: 25 Apr 2010, 08:55 pm »
I've been nervous about taking mine out of the box after reading about all these early failures  :oops:.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1533 on: 25 Apr 2010, 09:08 pm »
My EML failed today.  I ordered the end of January, 2009, but I seem to recall there was a delay in shipping.  When the news came out of need to have the Transporter upgrade to avoid issues, I sent my unit to Dan for the upgrade.  I would guess I had approximately 750-1000 hours on it.  While I did enjoy this tube, I am unwilling to invest in another one--beautiful in sound and appearance, but too short a life span.

Will

Sorry to hear about this Will.

Unfortunately, it appears to be more common than any of us would like.

George

WG

« Reply #1534 on: 25 Apr 2010, 10:11 pm »
George,

I appreciate the lead info and link on the Bel tube.  Unfortunately they show out of stock.  The Ruby is back in service for now.  The 6FQ7 RCA Cleartops now seem to be a better match with the Ruby than my Raytheon 6SN7GT's. 

Will

sfig

« Reply #1535 on: 4 May 2010, 05:07 pm »
I'm sorry to say my EML 5U4G failed in my transporter today.  After two blown fuses this morning I swapped the NOS Sylvania 5U4GB that came with it and everything worked fine. I bought the tube in March 2010 and it had about 175 hours on it.
It's being replaced under warranty. 

fwinston

« Reply #1536 on: 15 May 2010, 09:56 pm »
Has anyone tried the Sophia 6SN7 tube?  If so, what was your opinion?

Thanks.

scp2

« Reply #1537 on: 21 May 2010, 04:12 am »
Ok I am a tube newbie..but just got my black treasures and really like what they added. I had my heart set on the EML and was going to pull the plug..then the issues surfaced. I sent an email to tube audio store...here is their response...should I consider the EML the 5ar4?

Thank you for your inquiry, Barry.

EML has shipped the tubes, and we are awaiting receipt.

However, to assure there are no warranty issues, I would need to know
what the following:

1. AC Input Voltage
2. DC Output Current
3. Filament Current
4. Filament Voltage

Per the Modwright Transporter Mod. page
(http://modwright.com/modifications/9), Modwright recommends a 5U4, 5V4,
or 5AR4 rectifier tube.

Unfortunately, the EML 5U4G is not a direct replacement for the 5U4 or
5AR4...
That may explain why some 5U4G tubes may dissipate faster than 5AR4's...

The EML spec sheet for their EML 5U4G is shown on the following page:
http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML5U4G.htm

Emission Labs (EML) requires proper tube type application/utilization
for EML to honor their warranty...
The EML guarantee is described at the following page:

http://www.emissionlabs.com/html/guarantee/conditions.htm

Please advise if you have or can obtain the information requested in
Item Nos 1-4 above.

I look forward to hearing from you.

BTW, I do have some NOS 5AR4 tubes available, too...

All the best,
Sal
RAM Labs

dtz

« Reply #1538 on: 23 May 2010, 04:55 pm »
Another one bites the dust. This is my second EML that suffered an early demise. I don't think this one made it to 500 hours. I received a pair of EML's in mid February after my 1st one lasted maybe 1000 hours. Not really sure. Visually this one seems to have a faint darkening of the entire tube with slightly darker zebra stripes running from the top to the bottom plate. I haven't called George yet. At least this one is under warranty. Prior to the two dead EML's I had a NOS Mullard GZ34 go prematurely. I'm wondering if it's the tubes or the Transporter. Anyone else have non EML's giving up the ghost too early? My TP has the latest mods.

Bigfish

« Reply #1539 on: 23 May 2010, 05:21 pm »
Another one bites the dust. This is my second EML that suffered an early demise. I don't think this one made it to 500 hours. I received a pair of EML's in mid February after my 1st one lasted maybe 1000 hours. Not really sure. Visually this one seems to have a faint darkening of the entire tube with slightly darker zebra stripes running from the top to the bottom plate. I haven't called George yet. At least this one is under warranty. Prior to the two dead EML's I had a NOS Mullard GZ34 go prematurely. I'm wondering if it's the tubes or the Transporter. Anyone else have non EML's giving up the ghost too early? My TP has the latest mods.

I never experienced a failure of the EML Mesh Tube in my ModWright Transporter but it was the reason I sold my unit.  Everytime I turned the Transporter on I was holding my breath hoping it would not blow.  The EML is the best rectifier I experienced in my unit and after hearing it I could not imagine the Transporter without it.  Thus, my unit is now in the possession of another happy owner.

Ken