ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

rydenfan

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1160 on: 1 May 2009, 01:17 am »
Ted, just tell me when you are ready  :D Although you really need two more so you can run two in the 36.5 and one in the TP  :o

modwright

« Reply #1161 on: 1 May 2009, 04:14 am »
Ebonized Walnut Ulysses...OH YEAAAH!  They are actually not quite done yet, but BOY are the cabinets beautiful.  Lou is a TRUE master woodworker artisan as well as genius speaker designer.  I chose the ebonized walnut because it will complement our espresso brown concrete polished floors and chocolate brown italian leather couch in the listening room.

I am quite excited about getting them!

We will be using a pair of DA-RMa's at RMAF '09.  I feel that there is a terrific synergy with our amp and it is a brillian combination.

Thanks,

Dan

Audioclyde

« Reply #1162 on: 1 May 2009, 11:11 am »
Dan,

From the pics, I thought Lou's ebonized walnut finish was just beautiful.  Also think it will let the DA-RMa's look great in my music room also, I have an 'antiqued' (sp?) black equipment cabinet that has gold & brown accents, then dark wood floors (with appropriate rug treatment of course  :D) and chocolate brown couch and listening chair/recliner.

I will be driving the DA-RMa's with my Cary SLI-80 all tetrode, with the bottom end augmented as necessary with a REL Strata III sub.  I keep trying to stop myself from reading the reviews/reports on your new amp--can't afford to even be tempted right now!!

Like a kid waiting for Christmas at this point :P!!

Randy

modwright

« Reply #1163 on: 1 May 2009, 06:43 pm »
Cool man!  I too am excited!

Dan

mikel51

« Reply #1164 on: 10 May 2009, 09:12 pm »
I have now had my turbo mod in place for a couple of weeks, and let it run for >150 hours.  I started listening with the EML and round plate tung sols this afternoon.  Since the transporter was out of my system for a while while Dan was upgrading, I am working from memory, but I was not thrilled with the sound.   It seemed to have lost some of the texture and depth that I felt my system had before.  I pulled the tung sol 6sn7s out and put in a brand new pair of old raytheon 6sn7wgts that I have been "hoarding" for a while but not managed to put in because I liked the tung sols so much with the previous set up.

I immediately noticed more texture, and depth in the music.  It just seemed more 3D and with voices popping out, percussion and finger snaps being more dimensional, and a generally more pleasing, more musical sound.  These are pretty much first impressions, and the raytheon tubes still need to break in.  For some reason, the tungsols seemed a little to bright and analytical for my system with the new turbo mod.  So far I've auditioned, Cassandra Wilson (The Weight, Harvest Moon), Ray Charles Duets (Fever, w/ Natalie Cole), Van Morrison (Crazy Love).

I am curious if anyone else has had a similiar experience....everyone else seems to have really liked the tungsols after the power supply upgrade.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1165 on: 10 May 2009, 09:21 pm »
I have now had my turbo mod in place for a couple of weeks, and let it run for >150 hours.  I started listening with the EML and round plate tung sols this afternoon.  Since the transporter was out of my system for a while while Dan was upgrading, I am working from memory, but I was not thrilled with the sound.   It seemed to have lost some of the texture and depth that I felt my system had before.  I pulled the tung sol 6sn7s out and put in a brand new pair of old raytheon 6sn7wgts that I have been "hoarding" for a while but not managed to put in because I liked the tung sols so much with the previous set up.

I immediately noticed more texture, and depth in the music.  It just seemed more 3D and with voices popping out, percussion and finger snaps being more dimensional, and a generally more pleasing, more musical sound.  These are pretty much first impressions, and the raytheon tubes still need to break in.  For some reason, the tungsols seemed a little to bright and analytical for my system with the new turbo mod.  So far I've auditioned, Cassandra Wilson (The Weight, Harvest Moon), Ray Charles Duets (Fever, w/ Natalie Cole), Van Morrison (Crazy Love).

I am curious if anyone else has had a similiar experience....everyone else seems to have really liked the tungsols after the power supply upgrade.

Mike,

Bright and analytical have never been adjectives I have heard used to describe the Tung-Sol Black Glass roundplates. 

I am pretty sure Phil, Ted, David, and others are still loving the Tung-Sol tubes after getting the turbo or hyper mod.  I should be able to let you know soon from personal experience.

I just turned a friend onto the Modwright TP and even though it is only a week or so old, he feels that with the Tung-Sol tubes it is by far the best digital setup he has had.  He likes a very organic sound and definitely dislikes an analytical or bright sound.

BTW, the Raytheon tubes are no slouches and can certainly sound very good.

George

Audioclyde

« Reply #1166 on: 11 May 2009, 08:49 pm »
Mike,

I'm trying a pair of Brimar 6sn7's and find them to be very close to the TS round plates, with maybe a touch more warmth/sweetness, so that might be something you want to try.  As my amp also uses a pair of 6sn7's as drivers, and I've found the tubes in that position have quite an effect on my sound, I'm kind of switching the Brimars and TS round plates back and forth between that spot and the MW Transporter.  I find the Ken Rad VT231's warm of the sound signficantly, but at some loss of detail and also just not quite as 'musical' for lack of a better descriptive term.

Dan, just got my Daedalus DA-RMa's from Lou today and got 'em hooked up and singing.  Asthetically (of course I'm biased since this is what I picked/bought) the ebonized walnut is stunning  :drool:.  And although Lou tells me they will sound even better after another 70-100 hours, after the 1st hour or so, I'm really pleased with the sound!!!

Best,

Randy

Joey54

« Reply #1167 on: 11 May 2009, 09:37 pm »

I have had a similar experience to yours in my system. I have had the EML and Tung Sols in my Modwright TP for about two weeks. I thought initially that something was wrong because I found myself going back to vinyl more and more where before the power supply update, I had shifted to 80% digital. On Saturday I finally pulled the tubes and went back to my BEL GZ34 and the Sylvania 6CG7's. All I can say is that is in my system, this is still the best combination for me. I am sure it has to do with system synergy but this combination has bested every other in my Transporter. YMMV.

mikel51

« Reply #1168 on: 11 May 2009, 10:53 pm »
My amp uses 6 6sn7 tubes (BAT VK75SE) and this is what got me hooked on the raytheons.  Yesterday, I popped a couple of KenRads that I rotated out of my amp.  I agree that they added some warmth with a concomitant loss of some detail.  I ended up putting the Raytheons back in and will let them break in for a while and then reevaluate.  I suppose I could also go back and try some other 5u4 variants or my metal base GZ34.  So many tubes....so little time  :)

rydenfan

« Reply #1169 on: 11 May 2009, 11:43 pm »
My amp uses 6 6sn7 tubes (BAT VK75SE) and this is what got me hooked on the raytheons.  Yesterday, I popped a couple of KenRads that I rotated out of my amp.  I agree that they added some warmth with a concomitant loss of some detail.  I ended up putting the Raytheons back in and will let them break in for a while and then reevaluate.  I suppose I could also go back and try some other 5u4 variants or my metal base GZ34.  So many tubes....so little time  :)

I thought the SE version of the BAT amp uses 6H30's? My understanding was the non-SE versions use the 6SN7's. Please correct me if I am wrong.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1170 on: 12 May 2009, 12:05 am »
As I posted earlier in this thread (wow, like 20 pages ago  :) ) I think the hypermod ps upgrade made my TP have much more body/weight/substance at the midrange frequencies (especially), and although I never heard the EML/TS round plate combo before the upgrade, they certainly set the standard after it.  I didn't find them "too much" at all...I did find the DR's too much though.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #1171 on: 12 May 2009, 12:08 am »

I thought the SE version of the BAT amp uses 6H30's? My understanding was the non-SE versions use the 6SN7's. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That's my understanding as well, and stated on BAT site.  Mike must have meant the non-SE?

tdangelo

« Reply #1172 on: 12 May 2009, 12:18 am »

mikel51, I had my TP upgraded so I could use the EML.  When I first got it back I absolutely hated how it sounded.  It was really closed in and lifeless.  I didn't think it would need the amount of burnin that it ended up taking. About 300 hrs later it opened up like crazy and now I'm very happy.  It's so much quieter than before - no more electronic hash imposed on the music - just dead quiet and even more revealing along with everything that you stated.  Just be patient and it WILL get much better ;)  I'm using the EML and Sylvania Gold Brand 6SN7 WGT's.  My sound has NEVER been better!   :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2009, 07:21 pm by tdangelo »

mikel51

« Reply #1173 on: 12 May 2009, 12:31 am »

That's my understanding as well, and stated on BAT site.  Mike must have meant the non-SE?

The VK75SE uses 2--6V6 tubes (my faves are the Pope), 2--6H30 tubes (NOS DRs of course), 6--6SN7 tubes (I like the Raytheons the best of all I've tried, but am not quite up for trying 6 tung sol round plates) and 4--6C33 tubes (matched from Parts Connexion with their recent tube tester for 6C33).

The non-SE uses 8--6SN7 tubes and 4--6C33 tubes.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #1174 on: 12 May 2009, 12:33 am »
Ah... :duh:  Thanks Mike

mikel51

« Reply #1175 on: 12 May 2009, 12:34 am »

mikel51, I had my TP upgraded so I could use the EML.  When I first got it back I absolutely hated how it sounded.  It was really closed in and lifeless.  I didn't think it would need the amount of burnin that it ended up taking. About 300 hrs later it opened up like crazy and now I'm very happy.  It's so much quieter than before - no more electronic hash imposed on the music - just dead quiet and even more revealing along with everything that you stated.  Just be patient and it WILL get much better ;)  I'm using the EML and Sylvania Gold Brand 6SN7 WGT's.  My sound had NEVER been better!   :icon_lol:

Well, I'll let it run for a few more weeks and then try tube rolling again.  Next weekend when I get back from a business trip, it should have between 250 and 300 hours.

Philistine

« Reply #1176 on: 12 May 2009, 01:59 am »

Mike,

Bright and analytical have never been adjectives I have heard used to describe the Tung-Sol Black Glass roundplates. 

I am pretty sure Phil, Ted, David, and others are still loving the Tung-Sol tubes after getting the turbo or hyper mod.  I should be able to let you know soon from personal experience.

I just turned a friend onto the Modwright TP and even though it is only a week or so old, he feels that with the Tung-Sol tubes it is by far the best digital setup he has had.  He likes a very organic sound and definitely dislikes an analytical or bright sound.

BTW, the Raytheon tubes are no slouches and can certainly sound very good.

George

I'm not sure I can add anymore to this - I bought my EML after the Hyper Drive mod and still find it a match made in heaven with the TP.  I jumped straight in at the deep end with 6SN7's and bought the Tung Sols, I have a loan pair of Ken-Rads and new production Tung Sols for burn in purposes.  The 3 pairs of 6SN7's all share the same family sonic traits - but the NOS round plates, plus EML, are the best combination in my system.  Based on my limited experience, and feedback from others, I get the view that most of the old 6SN7's are capable of delivering great performance.

funkmonkey

« Reply #1177 on: 12 May 2009, 04:06 am »
Jury's still out for me.  I've been listening to the EML + Ken-Rad vt-231's for a couple of weeks now and agree that there is some detail lost compared to the TS-rounds in the upper-mids or lower trebel, but not all that much.  I like the added warmth and the mid bass with the Ken-Rads, though the TS-rounds are not far behind there and I miss the midrange sweetness of the TS-rounds.  I think the EML and Ken-Rads balance each other out rather well.  I have yet to roll back in the TS-rounds and the HW CV-378 (love that combo) to really nail down a solid preference, but I could be, and am, happy with any/all of them.  The Bell tube is intriguing and wonder about that one more for my 36.5 than for the TP (and if the top will close on the 36.5 (the Bell looks to be a little bit taller than a GZ-34).  Nice to see a bit of action back on this thread.

Cheers,
Greg

tomm

« Reply #1178 on: 12 May 2009, 02:04 pm »
I am using the RCA/Sylvania fat tube,  which is slightly taller than the GZ34s, with the cover closed by adding a strip of damping material similar to the one used on the unit on both sides under the cover and using thumb screws (longer than the ones came with the unit) bought from Lowes to secure the cover.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #1179 on: 20 May 2009, 06:55 pm »
If any of you are having second thoughts about the EML in the hyperdrive-upgraded TP, lemme know.  I need one more for my dual mono PS 36.5 (borrowing my second one right now).  I'll buy one off ya!   :thumb:    PM me (although not sure PM works..my email is "tedmbrady-at-ameritech-dot-net").   Thanks
Ted