ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

Philistine

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #680 on: 31 Jan 2009, 04:54 pm »
I just ordered a mesh plate this morning, and will report back as well.  I'm hoping a couple of George's loaner 6SN7's (espec. the round plates) make their way here as they move up the Coast back to new England.   :drool:  I'll be able to report on a mesh plate/round plates combo.

It's going to be interesting to hear if the EML/6SN7 combo is overkill or not?  Or if the EML alone gets the job done for less hassle and less money?
At the same time If the coveted Tung Sol black glass, round plates are a necessity to get the benefits of this approach then the octal path will not be a practical option - so any feedback on the more readily available 6SN7's would be helpful.   

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #681 on: 31 Jan 2009, 07:49 pm »
Phil,
Believe me I don't want to fall in love with a gold digger either.   :D  I have several modest 6SN7's that I'll test, too, including my current fave, a pair of RCA Silver label 6Sn7GT's I bought on Ebay for $50/pair.

gregeas

« Reply #682 on: 2 Feb 2009, 02:44 pm »
I bought a Sophia Electric 274B tube for the WA6, described on the Woo site as "a premium rectifier tube for a 5U4/5R4/5AR4 direct replacement with 3X longer plate structure." This tube makes a *big* improvement with the head amp. Any reason it would NOT work in the MW TP?

Amidst all the Octal and EML excitement I wanted to bump up the Sophia Electric - I saw great reviews (on the Head-Fi forum I believe) of it, if Dan gives you the  :thumb: on this please let us know how you get on with it. 

Dan said no go on the Sophia tube. But I can say that the WA6 headphone amp has some amazing synergy with the MW TP. I had some memorable listening sessions over the weekend. (I live in a Manhattan apartment with my family, so it's not easy to listen to my speaker rig at anything approaching reference levels. So the headphone system is quite handy.)

Philistine

« Reply #683 on: 2 Feb 2009, 03:31 pm »
I bought a Sophia Electric 274B tube for the WA6, described on the Woo site as "a premium rectifier tube for a 5U4/5R4/5AR4 direct replacement with 3X longer plate structure." This tube makes a *big* improvement with the head amp. Any reason it would NOT work in the MW TP?

Amidst all the Octal and EML excitement I wanted to bump up the Sophia Electric - I saw great reviews (on the Head-Fi forum I believe) of it, if Dan gives you the  :thumb: on this please let us know how you get on with it. 

Dan said no go on the Sophia tube. But I can say that the WA6 headphone amp has some amazing synergy with the MW TP. I had some memorable listening sessions over the weekend. (I live in a Manhattan apartment with my family, so it's not easy to listen to my speaker rig at anything approaching reference levels. So the headphone system is quite handy.)

Thanks for letting us know about this.
On the negative side it's one less option to explore, on the plus side one less option to chase down.

The only 'headphone' listening I do is when traveling with a pair of Etymotics, which I love.  I would imagine that a good headphone amp and phones is very source revealing, and the MW TP will excel.

In the meantime I did an extended AB comparison with the EML and the mb GSZ34 over the weekend.  All my other rectifier tubes (including the mb) have been put in a box leaving only the EML, after listening to the EML I found I no longer enjoyed the mb.  I hope others will find the same synergy.

rydenfan

« Reply #684 on: 2 Feb 2009, 04:01 pm »
Wow Phil! What are some of the differences that stood out to you over the weekend?

Philistine

« Reply #685 on: 2 Feb 2009, 04:43 pm »
Wow Phil! What are some of the differences that stood out to you over the weekend?

Nothings changed David, I just wanted to do an AB with the metal base to make sure I wasn't blowing smoke up you guys.
At the same time my amp has had major upgrade surgery to the power supply and a few new caps, I wanted to make sure that this wasn't a variable and this is why I did the AB.  It became very apparent that the EML was night and day with the mb - all the feedback from the other guys (Thalvor, Owenmd, NickS, Bigfish) nails it.  The EML has the strengths of the Tung Sol 5U4G (detail) and mb (smoothness, soundstage), and them some by just being very musical.  It was a no brainer to symbolically pack away my old rectifier tubes, the synergies with the rest of my system are just so obvious.  Up until know I've had the mb as my principle rectifier tube and rolled the others on an occasional basis, now I no longer need to do this as there's no comparison.  In particular well recorded percussion, vocals and acoustic guitar sound very 'live', I had Buddy Holly risen from the grave and playing live here yesterday morning 8).  What surprised me most of all was that the mb sounds so dull and lifeless now, whereas a week ago it was my favorite.

Bigfish

« Reply #686 on: 2 Feb 2009, 06:15 pm »

Nothings changed David, I just wanted to do an AB with the metal base to make sure I wasn't blowing smoke up you guys.
At the same time my amp has had major upgrade surgery to the power supply and a few new caps, I wanted to make sure that this wasn't a variable and this is why I did the AB.  It became very apparent that the EML was night and day with the mb - all the feedback from the other guys (Thalvor, Owenmd, NickS, Bigfish) nails it.  The EML has the strengths of the Tung Sol 5U4G (detail) and mb (smoothness, soundstage), and them some by just being very musical.  It was a no brainer to symbolically pack away my old rectifier tubes, the synergies with the rest of my system are just so obvious.  Up until know I've had the mb as my principle rectifier tube and rolled the others on an occasional basis, now I no longer need to do this as there's no comparison.  In particular well recorded percussion, vocals and acoustic guitar sound very 'live', I had Buddy Holly risen from the grave and playing live here yesterday morning 8).  What surprised me most of all was that the mb sounds so dull and lifeless now, whereas a week ago it was my favorite.

Phil:

I am happy to hear that I did not mislead you with my comments about the EML 5U4G Mesh Tube in my system.  The MB GZ-34 was a huge step-up from the Kuhl Version of the GZ-32 and change to the EML was at least as significant. 

Sorry MB dealers but I believe your sales to Transporter owners are going to evaporate! :lol: :thumb:

Ken

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #687 on: 2 Feb 2009, 06:17 pm »

Phil:

I am happy to hear that I did not mislead you with my comments about the EML 5U4G Mesh Tube in my system.  The MB GZ-34 was a huge step-up from the Kuhl Version of the GZ-32 and change to the EML was at least as significant. 

Sorry MB dealers but I believe your sales to Transporter owners are going to evaporate! :lol: :thumb:

Ken

I can only hope that the silly prices on the MB GZ-34 continue to hold as some of us sell our tubes.   aa

George

valvesaglowin

• Industry Participant
  • Quality is no accident
    • TubesUSA
« Reply #688 on: 2 Feb 2009, 07:03 pm »
Hello All:
          I think a brief note is in order here regarding how the Emission Labs 5U4G tubes are packaged. The reason for this is that I have received an email questioning weather the tube was used or new. I think that was a fair question, but I wanted to clarify this issue for all that have received the 5U4's in a plain box as opposed to the Emission Labs hard box. The 5U4's come two in a box, so I naturally have to take one out and send it in a plain box. this is an arbitrary decision on my part. The tubes themselves are brand new, and have the full factory warranty. This has only been my practice when selling rectifier tubes, since most applications call for one and not two tubes. I hope this clears things up for those looking at buying one of these rectifier tubes in the future. To all those whom have purchased tubes from TubesUSA, thank you all for your patronage and support.

Best Regards,

George

NickS

« Reply #689 on: 2 Feb 2009, 10:18 pm »
Hello All:
          I think a brief note is in order here regarding how the Emission Labs 5U4G tubes are packaged. The reason for this is that I have received an email questioning weather the tube was used or new. I think that was a fair question, but I wanted to clarify this issue for all that have received the 5U4's in a plain box as opposed to the Emission Labs hard box. The 5U4's come two in a box, so I naturally have to take one out and send it in a plain box. this is an arbitrary decision on my part. The tubes themselves are brand new, and have the full factory warranty. This has only been my practice when selling rectifier tubes, since most applications call for one and not two tubes. I hope this clears things up for those looking at buying one of these rectifier tubes in the future. To all those whom have purchased tubes from TubesUSA, thank you all for your patronage and support.

Best Regards,

George

First let me say, George, that I am loving this rectifier!

The only inconvenience with the forfeit of the original box is not having a secure place to store the tube in its rare departures from the MWTP.  Otherwise your packaging was excellent and tube arrived in perfect condition. Perhaps EML might consider single tube boxing in the future as not everyone requires two of these monsters.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #690 on: 2 Feb 2009, 10:24 pm »
George, are you saying, though, that every other owner gets a nice box (like Phil's pix); just luck of the draw if you're odd or even?

valvesaglowin

• Industry Participant
  • Quality is no accident
    • TubesUSA
« Reply #691 on: 2 Feb 2009, 10:38 pm »
Actually Ted, I try to provide the actual EML boxes for those who live the furthest away from NY(in most cases). My thinking was that there were usually more hands involved in the transfer, and I wanted the people who were the furthest away to have every benefit of the tube getting to it's destination intact. Lastly, I do insure each tube with the carrier in the event that something unfortunate happens. I'm just trying to instill some risk management here.

Best,

George

P.S. Yes Ted, you drew the original box :)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #692 on: 2 Feb 2009, 10:44 pm »
George,
You are a very intelligent man, with all the right answers.   :lol:  Thanks.

Philistine

« Reply #693 on: 2 Feb 2009, 11:05 pm »
I shouldn't have posted the photograph - it was just a refreshing change not to get a 6 inch square box stuffed with newspaper and a vintage tube, so my apologies George for stirring this up.

When the mail lady arrived the outer box George used was big enough for a weeks supply of groceries!  He does a great job with packing - EML box or not. 

JerryH

« Reply #694 on: 2 Feb 2009, 11:09 pm »
I like my chances of getting the original box! Oregon is a long way and further than Ted! 8)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #695 on: 2 Feb 2009, 11:14 pm »
I like my chances of getting the original box! Oregon is a long way and further than Ted! 8)

I had George ship it to my Hawaii home.   :D

(Hell, if I sold all these other rectifiers, like the metal bases, I could probably afford a Hawaii home).

Philistine

« Reply #696 on: 2 Feb 2009, 11:34 pm »
You can always buy a matching pair - his & hers.  This will get you the box!

rydenfan

« Reply #697 on: 3 Feb 2009, 12:24 am »

I had George ship it to my Hawaii home.   :D

(Hell, if I sold all these other rectifiers, like the metal bases, I could probably afford a Hawaii home).

Rectifiers are the least of what you have laying around that you need to sell  :lol:

arthurs

« Reply #698 on: 3 Feb 2009, 02:22 am »
Man, I need to get in on some of this 6SN7 swapping...anyone have any quads they'd like to send out for a loan?  I have some RCA Grey Glass and KenRad Black Glass (both VT231's and very nice tubes) I'll send for a demo swap...

rydenfan

« Reply #699 on: 3 Feb 2009, 03:09 am »
Art, I have is a pair of Tung Sol black glass 6SN7's that I purchased this weekend. You are welcome to borrow them anytime but it sounds like you need more than a pair.