ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

rydenfan

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #540 on: 20 Dec 2008, 12:02 am »
Funk, you may also want to try an Amperex 5AR4 to see how it compares to the Mullard. You could compare each in the TP. Just shoo me an email if you need a lead on an Amperex.

Bigfish

« Reply #541 on: 20 Dec 2008, 12:22 am »
I just received and installed a new EML-5U4G Mesh tube in my Transporter.  It is the most beautiful tube I have ever seen but man this is really large.  From the top of my shelf to the top is the tube is 8.75."  I will reserve any comments on how it compares to the MB GZ-34 until after it burns-in for 100 hours.

Ken

:bawl:  definitely too tall for my cabinet...  I will have to make due with the smaller HW CV-378 (I recently acquired a NOS October '52 build), or my (1964)Tung-Sol 5AS4 or perhaps the mystery Rogers 5U4G, or the ('61)Mullard GZ34 [fat base]...  I'm on the hunt for another Mullard so I can try one in the TP and one in the 36.5...  but of course I have to wait for another week or two before I can tell much of a difference (I will have my HT3's by then) as rolling with my current speakers yields very little difference, but I am having a lot of fun looking around for good/great deals on these tubes.  I can see how this could become very addictive.  :rock:

-Funk

Funk:

You have a bunch of nice tubes!  Have you been able to score a Metal Base yet?  If not it should definitely be on your must have list!

Ken

Philistine

« Reply #542 on: 20 Dec 2008, 12:30 am »
I'm going to have to admit my failure on trying to secure a group deal on the EML 5U4G, with it being a hand made tube it's just not going to happen.
I have talked to the various vendors and can point you in their direction:

http://www.tubesusa.com/
Tubesusa - have a lead time of around 3-4 weeks.

http://www.ramlabs-musicreference.com/
RamLabs/music Reference - nothing on order and want a deposit before ordering rectifier tubes.

http://www.jacmusic.com/
Ken (bigfish) has contacted JAC in Germany - as they price in Euros the $ price is going to fluctuate, probably a better option for European owners.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this, but for the price you get a beautiful hand made masterpiece - guess we need a few more data points before giving this a superstar rating.

Bigfish

« Reply #543 on: 20 Dec 2008, 12:41 am »
I'm going to have to admit my failure on trying to secure a group deal on the EML 5U4G, with it being a hand made tube it's just not going to happen.
I have talked to the various vendors and can point you in their direction:

http://www.tubesusa.com/
Tubesusa - have a lead time of around 3-4 weeks.

http://www.ramlabs-musicreference.com/
RamLabs/music Reference - nothing on order and want a deposit before ordering rectifier tubes.

http://www.jacmusic.com/
Ken (bigfish) has contacted JAC in Germany - as they price in Euros the $ price is going to fluctuate, probably a better option for European owners.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this, but for the price you get a beautiful hand made masterpiece - guess we need a few more data points before giving this a superstar rating.

I sent JAC a request for a quote twice.  Approximately 3 to 4 days after sending the second request I received an e-mail with a PDF Quote.  They indicated the EML- 5U4G was not available but they were expecting a delivery by the end of December.   JAC indicated the tubes have been produced and are in route to them.  The price I was quoted for a delivered tube, including PayPal fees was $167.33 Euro ($232.36).

I recommend if you are considering one of these tubes to purchase from George of Tubes USA.  If you have any issues it won't cost you an arm and leg to return it.

Ken

funkmonkey

« Reply #544 on: 20 Dec 2008, 12:43 am »
Funk:

You have a bunch of nice tubes!  Have you been able to score a Metal Base yet?  If not it should definitely be on your must have list!

Ken

Thanks Ken, Metal base is at the top of my (now very short) list, it's just very hard to find one for a decent price...  so far the most I have been willing to spend on a tube has been $170 for the HW.  

David, PM on it's way

Philistine

« Reply #545 on: 20 Dec 2008, 12:50 am »
Funk:

Ken

Thanks Ken, Metal base is at the top of my (now very short) list, it's just very hard to find one for a decent price...  so far the most I have been willing to spend on a tube has been $170 for the HW.  

David, PM on it's way

Modwright John recommends Ebay in Europe - UK/Netherlands/Germany, you can often get a better deal than the US.  If this fails we can raid his stash, he's got a gazillion of them hidden away  :green:

funkmonkey

« Reply #546 on: 20 Dec 2008, 01:08 am »
 :lol: I have been searching through eBay US, with "worldwide" search checked so I think I am covered.  Just too hard to let go of sooo much cash for a tube.

JG2

« Reply #547 on: 20 Dec 2008, 05:15 am »
Hi Funk,

I have been watching/buying for a couple of years and this was on my 'watch' list. I looked at it, ran some errands and came home just after it ended.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110313500183

This is by FAR my best 'the one that got away' story and it was just 4 weeks ago! Sure it hadn't been tested but at a hair over $60 shipped, I would have thrown a high bid of $100 or so at it.

I have seen others in the past 2-3 months go for less than $100 and they were tested!

Keep looking. As Phil mentioned I have scored most of mine in Holland & Germany.

Good luck.......half the fun is in the hunt.

funkmonkey

« Reply #548 on: 20 Dec 2008, 06:50 am »
Wow! somebody got one hell-of-a deal! 
I'm a pretty patient guy, so I will keep my eye's and ears open.  And yes, I am having fun (a little too much, I think) on the hunt.  :thumb:
Thanks

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #549 on: 20 Dec 2008, 03:40 pm »
Each of my two metal bases have cost me $150 shipped (both from Europe), the latest being in early October.  Some of the prices out there now are ridiculous.

Mr P

« Reply #550 on: 20 Dec 2008, 05:45 pm »
I have been following this thread closely since its inception and have learned a great deal from everyone who has posted. My thanks to you all.  My Transporter should be back from receiving the "hyper-drive" upgrade on Monday.  I have both the Emission Labs solid plate and mesh plate 5U4G.  Once I am comfortable the hyper-drive mod is broken in I should be able to provide my perspective as to the differences between the 2 tubes.  I have been using both tubes in my amplifier for a while now and there is a difference, but I am reluctant to draw a correlation between the results in my amplifier versus the Transporter. I will say that I do not find one tube to be superior over the other, only different.  I will post the results as soon I can. 

Mark

funkmonkey

« Reply #551 on: 20 Dec 2008, 10:01 pm »
Each of my two metal bases have cost me $150 shipped (both from Europe), the latest being in early October.  Some of the prices out there now are ridiculous.

Thats what I am waiting for Ted, $150 metal base...  :thumb:

I just scored a "Valvo" (from Germany)  not sure of the build date though, my guess is late 60's...  this was the description: "f32 version, B - code in glass: B5 I4:  made by Mullard / Blackburn"

Anyone good at deciphering codes?
 aa

There is another one of these tubes on eBay right now (ending today).  That one is claimed to be NOS/NIB unused...  if any one is interested here is a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280293757984

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #552 on: 20 Dec 2008, 10:50 pm »
I read B5 I4  as made at Blackburn Plant, 1965, 4th week of September.  It could be "1955" but usually the B5 codes mean Blackburn 1965 cuz other codes were used before 1956.  I could be wrong...

Philistine

« Reply #553 on: 20 Dec 2008, 10:53 pm »
I have been following this thread closely since its inception and have learned a great deal from everyone who has posted. My thanks to you all.  My Transporter should be back from receiving the "hyper-drive" upgrade on Monday.  I have both the Emission Labs solid plate and mesh plate 5U4G.  Once I am comfortable the hyper-drive mod is broken in I should be able to provide my perspective as to the differences between the 2 tubes.  I have been using both tubes in my amplifier for a while now and there is a difference, but I am reluctant to draw a correlation between the results in my amplifier versus the Transporter. I will say that I do not find one tube to be superior over the other, only different.  I will post the results as soon I can. 

Mark

Mark - great timing getting your TP back before Christmas, hope you enjoy it.
It will be interesting to hear your comments on the differences between the two EML tubes, I believe the only comments so far have been about the mesh version.  Do you have any other rectifier tubes that you can compare them against?
Phil

JG2

« Reply #554 on: 20 Dec 2008, 11:15 pm »
Ted is spot on with the etching code. It is indeed a 1965 production Mullard.

AB

« Reply #555 on: 20 Dec 2008, 11:29 pm »
That's my favorite Mullard - the 4 notch mid sixties.

I may have a Phillips MB GZ34 for sale soon. I need to have it tested first.
This one has too much bass for me when used in my SWLP. Great otherwise - 3D sound staging, super quiet, nice sparkly highs and that cool midrange thing. But the bass is DEEEEP and a bit woolly. There is also a slight loss in dynamic range too.

In the right piece of gear it would be awesome, no doubt. Works pretty well in my MW Sony 9100es but I like the 5u4G I have had in there better. The MB has the SS more diffuse, less "real" and more romantic in the Sony.

I have a '58 Mullard fat black base coming next week. As far as the insides go, this is very similar to the metal base tubes but these are made in Blackburn by Mullard. I have high hopes for it.

funkmonkey

« Reply #556 on: 20 Dec 2008, 11:57 pm »
I read B5 I4  as made at Blackburn Plant, 1965, 4th week of September.  It could be "1955" but usually the B5 codes mean Blackburn 1965 cuz other codes were used before 1956.  I could be wrong...

Thanks Ted, I think you are right about it being a '65.  (a '55 would be a metal base, no?)  Either way it tested excellent at 110 mA perfectly balanced... So I am looking forward to trying this one out.

Do you guys have a link to a chart that helps decipher the codes?  I've read through the one on Brent Jessee's site and one or two others, but it gets confusing.  :scratch:  Giving only one example (if that) and at the very beginning, then saying "...and so on."  Bah!  thats like saying "start with 23, and so on"  :roll:  But knowing a second example helps tremendously!  Thanks.

Somehow I think I was able to figure out my CV378 which is marked HK KB/K as:  HK='52 October; KB=Tube factory/ K=High Wycombe
please correct me if I am wrong on that one...

-Greg

AB

funkmonkey

« Reply #558 on: 21 Dec 2008, 01:09 am »
Thanks AB, That's one of the few explanations that is easy to follow.  Shoot me a PM before you list your Metal Base, if you decide to let it go.  :wink:

AB

« Reply #559 on: 21 Dec 2008, 02:31 am »
Thanks AB, That's one of the few explanations that is easy to follow.  Shoot me a PM before you list your Metal Base, if you decide to let it go.  :wink:

Will do.  :thumb: