ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

Philistine

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #440 on: 22 Nov 2008, 05:16 am »
I've just got back from a business trip and read Thomas' review of the Emission Labs rectifier tube - with mb GZ34's becoming scarcer and more expensive it's great that an alternative has been found that is less expensive and potentially superior.

This goes on my list to the guy with the red suit and white beard aa

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #441 on: 22 Nov 2008, 05:54 am »
I partially agree with Dan, at least in my system.  The mod definitely starts to level the playing field for some tubes.  To me the wild differences in recitifiers becomes much more subtle....but it's still there.  The signal tube rolling still has a pretty strong effect, but changing from DR's (they clearly overcook with the other pair on the 36.5) to Raytheon 6CG7's is less of a drastic move than before...but it's still there, and moreso than the level playing field that the rectifiers are now on. 

I spent last night and tonight rolling (tubes) like crazy.  I swapped signal tubes in the 36.5 (not an option IMO; everything but 6H30 types produced noise), rectifiers in the PS, and of course both types in the TP (Philips GZ32, Sylvania GB, Tung Sol G and GB, TAD 5AR4, etc etc.).....and keep coming back to the post-upgrade baseline:
a pair of metal base GZ34's in 36.5, along with pair of 6H30 DR's
a pair of Raytheon black plate 6CG7's, along with a Tung Sol 5U4GB in the TP.

NickS

« Reply #442 on: 23 Nov 2008, 05:44 pm »
Ted, what is the country of origin for your Raytheon 6CG7's?

I have several brands of the 6CG7 including RCA blackplate and cleartops, Tung-Sol, and Sylvania.  All sound very good with a slight preference for the Sylvanias.  I measured around an 8dB increase with these over the 6H30-DR's and find them spending more and more time in my yet to be modded MWTP.

In rectifier land, the MB GZ34 is hard to beat but I'll be giving the EM 5U4G mesh plates a step up to the plate as soon as my mods are completed in December.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #443 on: 23 Nov 2008, 06:12 pm »
Ted, what is the country of origin for your Raytheon 6CG7's?

My Raytheon black plates (which i had more than a pair) are made in USA

thalvor

« Reply #444 on: 23 Nov 2008, 06:30 pm »
Thanks for all the nice feedback on my EML review! Glad you liked it :-)

Several have asked if I have the turbo mod. I don't, but I sure would like to have it some day. Right now I'm not willing to part with my transporter long enough to have it upgraded. It takes a bit longer to have it upgraded for me (in Norway) than it does for you guys in the US. Maybe I'll send it off in the spring when my required daily dose of music is smaller than right now when winter is setting in.

I'll be very interested in hearing experiences with the EML from you with the turbo-mod.

Ted, my downstream tube components are a EAR Yoshino 868 (pre) and a EAR Yoshino 890 (power amp). I have rolled the stock driver tube in the pre to a Mullard 6922, while in the power amp it is eight EI KT90 tubes which are the stock tubes. The KT88 is a drop-in replacement for the KT90, but the KT90 produces more power.

Jwes, yes the EML cost me 164 Euro which translate to about 200 USD I think.
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2008, 10:01 pm by thalvor »

Philistine

« Reply #445 on: 23 Nov 2008, 08:18 pm »
I partially agree with Dan, at least in my system.  The mod definitely starts to level the playing field for some tubes.  To me the wild differences in recitifiers becomes much more subtle....but it's still there.  The signal tube rolling still has a pretty strong effect, but changing from DR's (they clearly overcook with the other pair on the 36.5) to Raytheon 6CG7's is less of a drastic move than before...but it's still there, and moreso than the level playing field that the rectifiers are now on. 

I spent last night and tonight rolling (tubes) like crazy.  I swapped signal tubes in the 36.5 (not an option IMO; everything but 6H30 types produced noise), rectifiers in the PS, and of course both types in the TP (Philips GZ32, Sylvania GB, Tung Sol G and GB, TAD 5AR4, etc etc.).....and keep coming back to the post-upgrade baseline:
a pair of metal base GZ34's in 36.5, along with pair of 6H30 DR's
a pair of Raytheon black plate 6CG7's, along with a Tung Sol 5U4GB in the TP.

Ted - ever tried 6BQ7A's in the TP?
I'm currently warming up a pair of RCA 6CG7's in the TP and find them to be very similar to the 6B's.
My 6BQ7A's are the cryoed RCA black plates from TubeWorld.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #446 on: 23 Nov 2008, 09:48 pm »
Phil,
Yes, they are on the top three or four of my list (I have RCA 6BQ7A black plates) and have huge gain.  They seem like 3db louder, really.

rydenfan

« Reply #447 on: 23 Nov 2008, 10:37 pm »
Phil, I have the same tubes from tubeworld and in my system I very much prefer the rca cleartop 6CG7's. I find they have better tope end detail and resolution.

Philistine

« Reply #448 on: 24 Nov 2008, 02:56 am »
Emission Labs 5U4G
What do you guys think about a group Modwright buy for this tube?
There are a couple of vendors here in the US - Tubes USA & Roger Modjeski at Music Reference.  With Roger being an AC member he might be more open to support this?

rydenfan

« Reply #449 on: 24 Nov 2008, 03:39 am »
Emission Labs 5U4G
There are a couple of vendors here in the US - Tubes USA & Roger Modjeski at Music Reference.  With Roger being an AC member he might be more open to support this?

See what you can work out and let me know.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #450 on: 24 Nov 2008, 03:39 am »
Phil, I have the same tubes from tubeworld and in my system I very much prefer the rca cleartop 6CG7's. I find they have better tope end detail and resolution.

Hmmm...maybe that is why my pair hasn't even made it into the TP?   :scratch:

I trust you guys and in the box they will stay.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #451 on: 24 Nov 2008, 03:46 am »
Emission Labs 5U4G

Maybe we go three or fourway on ONE, and then pass it around until we decide.  Don't listen to me, though.  I speak as someone who feels like crap right now (fighting a three week old damn sinus infection and the just-as-bad antibiotics and prednizone that goes with finally going to the doc this week) so maybe I'm just woosing out.  I have found a very nice sound, still very open to experimentation, but am not up for a $200+ experiment right now.......ok, ok... I'm cranky.   :cry:

rydenfan

« Reply #452 on: 24 Nov 2008, 04:00 am »
Emission Labs 5U4G

Maybe we go three or fourway on ONE, and then pass it around until we decide.  Don't listen to me, though.  I speak as someone who feels like crap right now (fighting a three week old damn sinus infection and the just-as-bad antibiotics and prednizone that goes with finally going to the doc this week) so maybe I'm just woosing out.  I have found a very nice sound, still very open to experimentation, but am not up for a $200+ experiment right now.......ok, ok... I'm cranky.   :cry:

I agree with you, Ted. I actually sent you an email a few hours ago seeing if you want to split one and share it? I think this is a good idea.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #453 on: 24 Nov 2008, 04:06 am »
DK, oops missed it.  Thanks.  Now we have Phil in the mix, too, maybe.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #454 on: 24 Nov 2008, 12:18 pm »

I'll play.

George

Philistine

« Reply #455 on: 24 Nov 2008, 05:45 pm »

I'll play.

George

I'll get moving on this.

AB

« Reply #456 on: 24 Nov 2008, 10:28 pm »
I am thinking about a pair  (EL 5U4G) for my 36.5+.

Are you guys only talking about a single tube for to pass around or a group purchase?

I'd be interested in the group thing.

NickS

« Reply #457 on: 24 Nov 2008, 10:34 pm »
Interest in the group thing here too...

funkmonkey

« Reply #458 on: 25 Nov 2008, 05:01 am »
if we get a good discount for a group thing, you could count me in too.

My TP is "platinum" Truth now (Hyper drive + Bybees) and should be on it's way home tomorrow!!!
 :thumb:  WhooHoo!!!!!
Thanks Dan

In a few weeks I will be ready to roll.

jwes

« Reply #459 on: 25 Nov 2008, 02:09 pm »
if we get a good discount for a group thing, you could count me in too.

My TP is "platinum" Truth now (Hyper drive + Bybees) and should be on it's way home tomorrow!!!
 :thumb:  WhooHoo!!!!!
Thanks Dan

In a few weeks I will be ready to roll.

Same here (on both TP "Platinum" and interest in the group tube approach).  Well, I won't have the TP quite as soon, but it's there!!