ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

jwes

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #220 on: 20 Jul 2008, 05:54 pm »
Wow - you guys are awesome, thanks for such quick and thorough advice.   Will stay in touch on what i try!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #221 on: 20 Jul 2008, 08:28 pm »
{quote}'As far as the smaller signal tubes, none of us really like the modern Russian Sovtek 6H30's that come with the player.'

Your TP likely came with a pair of Sovtek 6N1P, not 6H30. These are actually a pretty good tube that are sent stock with the TP. Give these a try and feel free to explore from there! This forum is a wealth of information regarding various tubes and combinations. Some opinions have been almost universal and are, in most cases, 'no brainers'. Every one's ears, tastes and audio system's are different and YMMV.

Have fun!

OOPS, thank John, sorry 'bout that.  I confused the pre with the TP...so many tubes, so little time!  :)

yes, the 6N1P's are actually very nice tubes.  Phil has it right; start with the rectifier.  And then, go to places like MDB Ventures (estate sales) that have inexpensive 6CG7's abounding, to compare to the 6N1P's.  Find some black plates, even used.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #222 on: 21 Jul 2008, 03:13 am »
As I had posted earlier, David (Rydenfan) pointed out that his second set of 6H30 DR's, lovely in the 36.5 (in fact almost mandatory), were a bit too much in his TP.  He had lost some top end air, etc.  Since it was my idea to 'double down" (I've been running two sets for awhile, but with all the movement in my system over the past month it's been tough to really eval) I thought I'd follow suit.  I swapped them out for my fave 6CG7's, the wonderful and cheap Raytheon US black plates.  After settling in, the Raytheons sounded great.  Hmm.....maybe David was right (hard for me to admit publicly.... :lol:...just kidding..we help each other all the time!). 

After two nights of glorious sounds, wonderful textures, clear tight bass and harmonics, air and shimmer without the sizzle....I decided to go back and try the double dose again.  I stuck the DR's in this morning and ran them with music for about 10 hours before sitting down tonight.  It didn't take long to tell that the damp somewhat boated lower midrange, although full of energy and organics, was just too much of a good thing.  The DR's in the 36.5, or as a set in the TP with an ss preamp possibly, are tremendous energy sources, with the most musical midrange I've yet to hear.  So this is not a slight on them.  It's just a warning, begun by David, and echoed by me.....too much is too much.  Now the midrange is almost perfect, and there is a beautiful balance across the spectrum.  Harmonics can play against each other, air can energize, bass notes can decay naturally.  The nice synergy created by my Raytheon 6CG7's, Valvo welded metal base 5AR4/GZ34 and DR-based dual mono 36.5 pre is here to stay (yeah right....ok, is my new current fave...how's that)!

Thanks again to David (Rydenfan) for his heads up.  It's funny; we've yet to meet personally, but have synched up beautifully via phone, email and forums to SIGNFICANTLY move each others system synergy forward by leaps and bounds.   Modwright, Spectron, McCormack, Synergistic Research, tubes, cables, amps, preamps, power cords, you name it.  It's great when it works like this.  Now, bring on the High Wycombe and I'll let you know what I think of the Powercell........ah, so many upgrades, so little time.   :thumb:

Jerrym303

• GJ Madigan Legacy Fly Rods
« Reply #223 on: 21 Jul 2008, 04:10 am »
I plan to bid on the pair of GZ34's ending on ebay tomorrow night.  Anybody want to go halvsies with me on that?  I only really need one.  I can do the bidding.

PM me if interested.

rydenfan

« Reply #224 on: 21 Jul 2008, 02:47 pm »
  After settling in, the Raytheons sounded great.  Hmm.....maybe David was right (hard for me to admit publicly.... :lol:...just kidding..we help each other all the time!).

I know how difficult that must be for you to say aloud  :lol:

Thanks again to David (Rydenfan) for his heads up.  It's funny; we've yet to meet personally, but have synched up beautifully via phone, email and forums to SIGNFICANTLY move each others system synergy forward by leaps and bounds.   Modwright, Spectron, McCormack, Synergistic Research, tubes, cables, amps, preamps, power cords, you name it.  It's great when it works like this.  Now, bring on the High Wycombe and I'll let you know what I think of the Powercell........ah, so many upgrades, so little time.   :thumb:

I could not agree more, Ted. It is amazing how technology such as the internet or even stereos for that matter can bring various people together from different walks of life. I hope to be able to tear myself away from work this year to make it RMAF, if I do dinner is on me  :thumb: But then again I am not sure I want to hear SP Techs based on all ov our other similar tastes  :wink:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #225 on: 21 Jul 2008, 03:05 pm »
But then again I am not sure I want to hear SP Techs based on all of our other similar tastes  :wink:

Oh, you will  (Said in the Yoda voice, warning Luke)   :)

JG2

« Reply #226 on: 22 Jul 2008, 03:53 am »
Jerrym303,

THAT is how you bid (& WIN) metal base GZ34's on E-Bay!

5 seconds until the close of the auction and you place a nice bid and let the chips fall where they may.

Very well done!!! Nice snag of your other metal base last month as well.............good value on that one in this somewhat overheated market.

Jerrym303

• GJ Madigan Legacy Fly Rods
« Reply #227 on: 23 Jul 2008, 12:57 am »
Thanks JG2.  I will probably be selling one of the new ones.  I did want to have a back-up.  Not sure I need three since the gZ34's are supposed to last forever.

On another topic, just tried out the RCA cleartops.  On first listen, they really opened up the sound of my system.  Thanks again for the info here!

referenceaudionz

5TS3S (5U4)
« Reply #228 on: 23 Jul 2008, 01:40 am »
Has anyone tried a Svetlana 5TS3S (5U4) rectifier?

rydenfan

« Reply #229 on: 24 Jul 2008, 01:00 pm »
Well, somebody around here may need to commit me to the loony bin soon  :shake:  I have been totally crazed with listening to tubes over the last few nights. I decided to remove the metal base GZ34 from my 36.5 and replace it with my fat base version so that I could evaluate the metal base versus the HW GZ37 in the TP. A few people here had expressed interest in this.

The first thing that is very surprising, and somewhat puzzling to me, is that in my 36.5 I prefer my Mullard Fat Base GZ34 to the NOS Metal Base version I recently got  :? For some reason with the metal base I am experiencing a loss in the high frequencies of vocals in comparison to the fat base. I am not exactly sure why this would be? but I guess there is never a set rule of what will work best??

So, as for the metal base GZ34/5AR4 versus the HW GZ37... This is where I am convinced I am going to lose my mind. The 5AR4 has a bit more of a robust sound to it. It is slightly more holographic and warm/rich. The GZ37 is a little more refined and detailed. The GZ34 will be ever so slightly congested on larger passages compared to the GZ37. I would say the GZ34 has a bit more of an initially alluring sound but over time seems to give me a bit of listening fatigue. You cannot even begin to imagine the amount of agonizing and scrutinizing that has taken place over the last few days  :o It is near impossible to pick a favorite here as they each do different things incredibly well and each have a different, yet equally addictive sound quality. Since my Dali's have a bit of a warm and live sound to them for the moment I am choosing to go with the GZ37, but that could easily change tomorrow  :dunno: Tough call between these two wonderful tubes...

JG2

« Reply #230 on: 24 Jul 2008, 04:56 pm »
David,

Thanks for your rectifier tube evaluations. It does get a bit overwhelming when you have several combinations that sound really good with subtle differences between the top contenders.

The nice men in the white coats will be there soon.........................

rpf

« Reply #231 on: 24 Jul 2008, 06:15 pm »
David,

Thanks for the comparisons.

I empathize with the difficulties you've had: I've also been driven nearly crazy trying to isolate the differences between some of these rectifiers. They're more easily heard than described. Now that you've done the hard work, sit back and just enjoy them for a while. After say a week, you can go back and re-compare them and the differences should be more obvious.

But you have one more test to perform if you're up for it.  :wink:  Try the HW GZ37 in the Transporter and the black base GZ32 in the 36.5. I'd really like to know what you think of that combination.   :thumb:

jwes

« Reply #232 on: 24 Jul 2008, 06:34 pm »
Hi David,

I wonder if you have helped me, given I have Dali's as well...  I have a model called the Euphonia MS4, which I think is very similar to the Helicon 400.  They look very much the same in pictures anyway, and both are smaller than their MS5, Helicon 800 counterparts. 

by the way, as a tube newbie, and based on the feedback above, I'm going to go ahead and assume that the signal tubes standard with my TP are less of an opportunity to upgrade than the rectifier.  So what is a fair expectation in price for a reliable gz34 metal base, or 37?

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #233 on: 24 Jul 2008, 11:29 pm »
I've been following this thread closely, as I've started tube-rolling 5AR4's with my SWL 9.0 Signature.  I'm amazed by the degree of tonal differences between all these 5AR4's. After my stock Sovtek blew, Dan sent me a Ruby 5AR4, which is a lot brighter/detailed vs. the old Sovtek (as well as a NOS Mullard which I've tried).  At the suggestion of a local tube guru, I've also started playing with tube dampers... adding yet another permutation to this audio equation!  I'm not willing to spend mega$$ bidding for metal base tubes, but I just ordered a TAD 5AR4 to throw into the fray.  Hopefully will have some time next week to sit down for some extended comparisons, both with, and without the dampers.  Any other SWL 9.0 Sig owners bitten by this tube-rolling bug?

JG2

« Reply #234 on: 25 Jul 2008, 01:52 am »
jwes,

I don't have an GZ37 "High Wycome" rectifiers but they seem to be selling in the $250 +/- range. Philips production metal base GZ34 can range anywhere between a low of $150 for a used / tested tube on E-Bay to $650 for true NOS from Tube World. Most are going for $200+ on E-Bay lately but if you are patient and keep your eye on the various European E-Bay sites, you should snag one for less than what most are selling for in the US.

Good luck!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #235 on: 25 Jul 2008, 02:02 am »
Sleepysurf,
I just ordered a pair of TAD 5AR4's too ( fro trial in my 36.5)!  Just wanted to hear what these modern marvels might sound like...all of $40/pair.  They arrive next Tues.

rydenfan

« Reply #236 on: 25 Jul 2008, 02:37 am »
David,

Thanks for the comparisons.

I empathize with the difficulties you've had: I've also been driven nearly crazy trying to isolate the differences between some of these rectifiers. They're more easily heard than described. Now that you've done the hard work, sit back and just enjoy them for a while. After say a week, you can go back and re-compare them and the differences should be more obvious.

But you have one more test to perform if you're up for it.  :wink:  Try the HW GZ37 in the Transporter and the black base GZ32 in the 36.5. I'd really like to know what you think of that combination.   :thumb:

Thanks Rob. I agree I need to kick back and gain a little more perspective. The biggest issue is that one is not really better than the other, just different...

I dont have a black base GZ32  :cry: I have a brown base CV593 (military version). Believe me, when I was constant evaluating I was fully thinking about exactly why you run the GZ32 in the 36.5. It would seem like the perfect combination. However, the one thing I am thinking about trying now (somebody please stop me  :wink: ) is swapping out my rca clear top 6CG7's for the Mazda/Brimar version. Before I had difficulty integrating them into my system but the touch of midrange warmth they seemed to provide could be an excellent combination with the GZ37??

rpf

« Reply #237 on: 25 Jul 2008, 02:58 am »
Okay, I guess I'll just have to send you one.  :lol:

rydenfan

« Reply #238 on: 25 Jul 2008, 08:24 pm »
Thanks for the offer, Rob  :wink: I do think that the Mazda/Brimar 6CG7's may be a nice fit? I will likely try those the beginning of next week.

It is still very odd to me that I prefer the sound of the mullard fat base 5AR4 in the 36.5 with the metal base 5AR4 in the TP, to the metal base 5AR4 in the 36.5 and the mullard fat base 5AR4 in the TP. My thinking is that it sound sound identical. Hopefully John or someone else that has a better understanding will be able to explain it to me?  :?

JG2

« Reply #239 on: 26 Jul 2008, 05:51 am »
Hi David,

I'm afraid I can't shed any light on why you prefer the Mullard 'fat base' in the 36.5 and the Philips GZ34 in the TP. The only explanation is system synergy and personal preference. You have done exhaustive tube rolling and can be credited, at least in part, to getting us excited about the NOS 6H30-DR tubes for the 36.5!

These 2 (or 3 including the GZ37 HW) rectifiers are perhaps the best versions of 5AR4 / GZ34 ever produced and most folks would be very pleased with any of these rectifiers. Tubes are a blast to find, buy and try and you have jumped in with both feet.

Enjoy your TP and 36.5 with whatever combo sounds good to YOU!

Thanks
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2008, 03:35 pm by JG2 »