IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

srb

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #600 on: 11 Aug 2019, 05:17 pm »
Generally, if there are L + R stereo sub outputs, they are line outputs that could be used as preamp outputs (as opposed to mono sub outputs) if they are full-range without any low-pass filtering.

In the case of the IDA-8, these full-range outputs originally had 3X gain (6V) as opposed to more-or-less standard 2V, and therefore were described as subwoofer outputs and not preamp outputs.

However, as of August 14, 2015 all IDA-8 shipped had sub outputs with a default of  1X gain (2V), with 2X and 3X gain available on special order.

IDA-8 and Pre-out Gain

Dexter_prog

« Reply #601 on: 17 Aug 2019, 02:14 pm »
Generally, if there are L + R stereo sub outputs, they are line outputs that could be used as preamp outputs (as opposed to mono sub outputs) if they are full-range without any low-pass filtering.

In the case of the IDA-8, these full-range outputs originally had 3X gain (6V) as opposed to more-or-less standard 2V, and therefore were described as subwoofer outputs and not preamp outputs.

However, as of August 14, 2015 all IDA-8 shipped had sub outputs with a default of  1X gain (2V), with 2X and 3X gain available on special order.

IDA-8 and Pre-out Gain
Thanks. I had forgotten I'd read about that. I've sent them an email as I don't know when mine was manufactured

John Casler

« Reply #602 on: 17 Aug 2019, 03:51 pm »
Thanks. I had forgotten I'd read about that. I've sent them an email as I don't know when mine was manufactured

It is of little consequence, since your sub has a gain control to get the right balance.

So the  different voltage output will only affect "fixed" volume subs.

JAC_ZAR

« Reply #603 on: 7 Sep 2019, 07:38 pm »
IDA-8 power consumption:
idle 18,5 W
standby 8,1 W

Pappy

« Reply #604 on: 7 Oct 2019, 11:27 pm »
Hello My name is Pappy and i am joining this group because i just ordered a Nuprime IDA-8.

Does anyone know if it still comes with two remotes?

Thanks

rustydoglim

« Reply #605 on: 11 Oct 2019, 07:15 pm »
No, it was never meant to come with 2 remotes :)
LONG time ago, when we first introduce IDA-8, the original remote was not good enough.  So we made a new remote in later production. But since we have spare remotes, we just include them while supplies last.  The 1st remote stocks have long gone.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #606 on: 11 Oct 2019, 07:50 pm »
Are there particular models of speakers that you (or anyone) has found to make a noteworthy pairing with the IDA-8?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #607 on: 13 Oct 2019, 12:49 am »
Are there particular models of speakers that you (or anyone) has found to make a noteworthy pairing with the IDA-8?

I’ve owned an IDA-8 since they first hit the market, and I still like and use mine. I’ve used it to power a pretty wide range of speakers in this time. Remember: It’s only 100w/ch, so it won’t do well trying to power low sensitivity speakers or speakers in a huge room.

Okay, I’ll provide two groups - one for speakers that didn’t seem to pair well, and one for speakers that seemed to pair well. [I’m using my phone to type, so I may make changes once I get home.]

Inferior pairing:

Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R (83.5dB), Daedalus Audio Apollos (96.5dB), PranaFidelity floor standing speakers 'Vayu', Lawrence Audio Cellos
I'm back on my laptop, so here's a little more info: The LS/5-R monitors are hungry little guys that really need more power to 'sing'. The IDA-8's 100w doesn't do them justice. My Apollos are very efficient, but they sound thin when powered by the IDA-8. I don't recall the Cellos' efficiency, but they, too, sounded thin. The Vayu sounded a bit thin, too.

My take away is that the above big speakers just sound better with more robust amps.

Good pairing:

ProAc Response D2, Adelphos two-way monitors using SB Acoustics Satori drivers designed by Jeff Bagby (87dB), Daedalus Audio Pans (94? dB), PranaFidelity Fifty/90monitors, Dynaco A-25 speakers, Paradigm Studio 20 v.3, Wild Burro 8” full range drivers on Betsy OB baffles, and CSS Audio Criton 1TD.....(pretty sure there were a couple more, but I don't recall right now).

It seems as though mid-efficient two-way monitors just seem to pair well with the IDA-8. It's got an almost tube-like sound with these speakers. I've got the IDA-8 powering my Adelphos monitors in our BIG family room. This room sucks bass out, but midrange and above frequencies sound great. I've got my TV and a Mac connected as well.

« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2019, 03:05 pm by mresseguie »

Dexter_prog

« Reply #608 on: 13 Dec 2019, 05:28 pm »
What amp would you consider as an upgrade to the IDA-8? I have a pair of KEF R300 and I was looking at Cambridge Audio CXA80 and Marantz PM8005, but I couldn't find comparisons to the Nuprime.

mresseguie

« Reply #609 on: 14 Dec 2019, 12:11 am »
What amp would you consider as an upgrade to the IDA-8? I have a pair of KEF R300 and I was looking at Cambridge Audio CXA80 and Marantz PM8005, but I couldn't find comparisons to the Nuprime.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Marantz lacks a DAC, no? The IDA-8 and CXA80 both have DACs. Do you want an all-in-one, or amp/preamp with separate DAC?

I haven't heard the CXA80, but the included DAC is purported to be the same as the DAC Magic 100's. My first DAC was the DAC MagicPlus (a step up from the 100), and it was not a revealing DAC. It really held my system back. The IDA-8's DAC is actually pretty decent.

I'm biased here. Of the three amps you mentioned, I'd stick with the IDA-8. However, if you want an upgrade from this (and want an all-in-one unit), then take a look at the IDA-16. I know there are other  all-in-one amplifiers out there, but Nuprime is my 'go to first' for all-in-one amps. I just bought a new IDA-16 that was delivered just today because I gave my son my IDA-8. [It's his first system, and he's delighted.]  Unfortunately for me, my new IDA-16 is in Oregon while I am over-wintering in Asia. I'll tell you how I like it in March.  :(

Michael

Let me know if you're at all interested in separates.

Dexter_prog

« Reply #610 on: 16 Dec 2019, 02:07 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Marantz lacks a DAC, no? The IDA-8 and CXA80 both have DACs. Do you want an all-in-one, or amp/preamp with separate DAC?

I haven't heard the CXA80, but the included DAC is purported to be the same as the DAC Magic 100's. My first DAC was the DAC MagicPlus (a step up from the 100), and it was not a revealing DAC. It really held my system back. The IDA-8's DAC is actually pretty decent.

I'm biased here. Of the three amps you mentioned, I'd stick with the IDA-8. However, if you want an upgrade from this (and want an all-in-one unit), then take a look at the IDA-16. I know there are other  all-in-one amplifiers out there, but Nuprime is my 'go to first' for all-in-one amps. I just bought a new IDA-16 that was delivered just today because I gave my son my IDA-8. [It's his first system, and he's delighted.]  Unfortunately for me, my new IDA-16 is in Oregon while I am over-wintering in Asia. I'll tell you how I like it in March.  :(

Michael

Let me know if you're at all interested in separates.
While the IDA 16 looks fantastic, I doubt I could find it in my country (Argentina) and if I did, it would probably be at a super crazy price.

I was actually considering getting a Pro Ject DS2 digital in the future for that MQA support (snake oil?), but I'm currently able to get the CXA80, pm8005, and pm7004 for relatively cheap and used (it's hard to find cheap used audio stuff here).

Today I tried the pm7004 and really liked it's sound compared to the IDA-8 (which sounded less detailed in mids and too bassy) and an Arcam FM28, but with KEF LS50 (similar, but not exactly like my R300). But then again, I lose a fantastic DAC until I'm able to get that Pro ject DAC.

rustydoglim

« Reply #611 on: 16 Dec 2019, 09:17 am »
If you're in Argentina, contact sales@nuprimeaudio.com directly for purchase.  Unfortunately we can't send a loaner unit to you :)

Dexter_prog

« Reply #612 on: 16 Dec 2019, 10:30 am »
Unfortunately we can't send a loaner unit to you :)

I wouldn't loan to an Argentinian neither! haha, joking. Thanks, I'll send em an email, but I don't think there's an official retailer and importing in our country is a PITA (restrictions, high taxes, etc... our governments are regressive in that matter)

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #613 on: 17 Dec 2019, 05:18 am »
I wouldn't loan to an Argentinian neither! haha, joking...
Buenísimo!

You have made me laugh!

I have been claiming these conditions we 'south americans' have to deal with.  It's far from ideal: "which would you choose between A or B?"... "very simple! Take both, pick the one you like, return the other!".

I spend more time explaining my regional constraints rather than actually getting info, but the truth is we are bound to trust reviewers and user stories, and blindly (deafly?) making a purchase with the best informed decision.

Not really assuring.

For me, locally NuPrime is no longer available, apparently distribution channels forced the local reseller to have to first ship and import into the US and then back here to Ecuador, where the cost of $700 STA-9 ended up being close to $2000, so no longer the correct price vs performance niche... not to mention the fact that we earn about a quarter of what a US citizen makes.  So even $700 would be four times as expensive for us... but then it costs almost 3x the cost, so now it's 12 times harder for us to access to such products.

It's simply absurd and considerably maddening.

Wish you the best of lucks with your adventure, but the truth is that you are probably better sourcing from whatever is available locally, as limiting as that is.

Abrazo,
Rafa.

rustydoglim

« Reply #614 on: 17 Dec 2019, 05:56 pm »
Argentina has more problem than other South America country.  The item can't even get in. 
For Ecuador, at least you could buy direct from us. If you want to audition a new amp for example, and is already a customer, you can order and return the amp for a full refund (the usual conditions applies, ie return in a very good shape, box damage ok, but don't scratch the amp). Or order 2 different amps and return one.

Dexter_prog

« Reply #615 on: 18 Dec 2019, 09:23 pm »
Buenísimo!

You have made me laugh!

I have been claiming these conditions we 'south americans' have to deal with.  It's far from ideal: "which would you choose between A or B?"... "very simple! Take both, pick the one you like, return the other!".

I spend more time explaining my regional constraints rather than actually getting info, but the truth is we are bound to trust reviewers and user stories, and blindly (deafly?) making a purchase with the best informed decision.

Not really assuring.

For me, locally NuPrime is no longer available, apparently distribution channels forced the local reseller to have to first ship and import into the US and then back here to Ecuador, where the cost of $700 STA-9 ended up being close to $2000, so no longer the correct price vs performance niche... not to mention the fact that we earn about a quarter of what a US citizen makes.  So even $700 would be four times as expensive for us... but then it costs almost 3x the cost, so now it's 12 times harder for us to access to such products.

It's simply absurd and considerably maddening.

Wish you the best of lucks with your adventure, but the truth is that you are probably better sourcing from whatever is available locally, as limiting as that is.

Abrazo,
Rafa.
Tengo varios colegas ecuatorianos, un saludo por allá.

Argentina has this black market of hi-fi audio that would really surprise you. I mean, we can buy very expensive stuff from these "importers" (who I believe are customs employees), so there's quite a lot to choose from. Most of them are even nice enough to let you got and listen to different equipment (as people normally do in the US/Europe). Unfortunately, none seem to import Nuprime products for whatever reason.

I'm leaning towards Vincent upon one of these fellow's recommendation, but I've yet to go and listen to that brand's amplifiers and compared them to the IDA-8

rustydoglim

« Reply #616 on: 21 Dec 2019, 10:04 pm »
Argentina has this black market of hi-fi audio that would really surprise you. I mean, we can buy very expensive stuff from these "importers" (who I believe are customs employees), so there's quite a lot to choose from. Most of them are even nice enough to let you got and listen to different equipment (as people normally do in the US/Europe). Unfortunately, none seem to import Nuprime products for whatever reason.

We don't know who they are, and no one from there contacted us.  Well, one reason we always hear about from dealers who sell very expensive stuff is that they don't want to sell NuPrime.

Phil A

« Reply #617 on: 21 Dec 2019, 10:08 pm »
We don't know who they are, and no one from there contacted us.  Well, one reason we always hear about from dealers who sell very expensive stuff is that they don't want to sell NuPrime.

From a dealer where I used to reside, I was told he wouldn't carry stuff that would take up floor space which could be used to display items they could make more money on.  So they don't necessarily look out for a customer's wallet.

mresseguie

« Reply #618 on: 21 Dec 2019, 11:30 pm »
Jason,

I spent yesterday afternoon at the 圓山大飯店 roaming the different room at the Taipei Audio & Art Show. There were two rooms with Nuprime gear, and each one had an IDA-8 in the rack (in addition to other components). One room also had a pair of STA-9 amps (in use). I think I snapped a pick. I'll post a pic once I upload them all to my computer.

Michael

« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2019, 03:06 am by mresseguie »

iulian

« Reply #619 on: 22 Dec 2019, 07:04 pm »
Hello,
With which speaker cables did you get good results with this cute little IDA-8?
Now I use a Sommer SC ORBIT 240 MKII cable and the speakers are Mosquito Studio Lab SLB HES B10.
Sensitivity: 88 dB
Impedance: 6 Ohms
Frequency response: 50 - 21,000 Hz ± 3 dB

Thanks.
Julian