New Studio Monitor....Now Shipping!

Danny Richie

Re: New Studio Monitor....Now Shipping!
« Reply #160 on: 11 Apr 2019, 04:41 pm »
Are you going to add them to the website?
Finding time during the day is always tough.

I have a lot of new stuff to add to the website. I need three or four of me.

THROWBACK

« Reply #161 on: 11 Apr 2019, 05:42 pm »
With all you do, Danny, you're already 3 or 4 of me.
Chuck

grimace

Re: New Studio Monitor
« Reply #162 on: 14 Apr 2019, 11:51 am »
$859 for the complete kit including the CNC cut front baffle and two sheets of No Rez.

If you want you can just run an high quality inline filter to the amp powering the Studio Monitor that consists of a single cap value that will make them -3db down in the 80Hz to 100Hz range.

Then build a matching box for it to sit on that has two or even three M-165/16 woofers in it in a sealed box and power it with a separate sub woofer style plate amp. You could even use an inline filter with that plate amp to roll off the first octave and use a servo sub for the bottom end. And then you have complete control over the lower end. So it will be easy to balance the output and get a flat response in any room.

And that would be a killer combination.

Danny, these look really nice & I'm very interested in the setup you talk about here?  Any more information you could share on this?  Is there already a design out there for 2 or 3 M-165/16 woofers? I think someone may have done this setup with the Wedgies, but I can't remember. 

Or, are you going to design a full, floor standing design for this?  Thanks

Captainhemo

« Reply #163 on: 14 Apr 2019, 04:25 pm »
Back on page  5 there is   a pic of  a  model for the front baffle   with  2 M165's.
In the  Neo3/neo10 thread (can't remember the actual name  but will try  and find it),  posted some pics of a separate stand   that  would  house   3 M165's.  It  is a  wedge shape to match that speaker but could be asily   modded to   match  these.

A pic or two of the  3 M165 stand is here
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160972.msg1716035#msg1716035

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #164 on: 14 Apr 2019, 07:47 pm »
I've been thinking about the added M-165's below, and I think what will be ideal is to power them with an separate and inexpensive plate amp. That way the lower end can be dialed in and balanced phase wise, and output wise with flexibility on the crossover point.

This also keeps a large cap value from being inline with the M165NQ mid-bass driver. This can be more effectively done with a small cap value prior to the amplifier and at a lower cost.

And the high quality passive parts needed for the low (100Hz range) crossover point will be more costly than a good plate amp and not have the flexibility that a separate plate amp can provide.

Folsom

« Reply #165 on: 14 Apr 2019, 08:46 pm »
Why not on the sides?

Danny Richie

« Reply #166 on: 15 Apr 2019, 03:41 pm »
Why not on the sides?

Side loaded woofers could be used.

dvenardos

« Reply #167 on: 18 May 2019, 10:57 am »
I have a lot of new stuff to add to the website. I need three or four of me.
Yeah, I totally understand. I have the same problem at work. I am a developer, but not web, otherwise I would help you out.

Danny Richie

« Reply #168 on: 18 May 2019, 07:41 pm »
I just created a new post on these. https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163940.msg1743254#msg1743254

Check it out.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #169 on: 28 May 2019, 11:45 am »
Just wondering (and I am aware that this is not your usual style..), but with its fairly low crossover, would a (still sealed) TMM design work at all for a fairly compact floorstander with pretty good power handling and 93dBs of sensitivity?
(I'm assuming ported designs either just wont work or get huge with these drivers...(?))

Also, weren't the prototype designs using the Neo 10 and the 3 with the more rounded wave guide flatter in the treble region?

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #170 on: 28 May 2019, 02:37 pm »
Just wondering (and I am aware that this is not your usual style..), but with its fairly low crossover, would a (still sealed) TMM design work at all for a fairly compact floorstander with pretty good power handling and 93dBs of sensitivity?
(I'm assuming ported designs either just wont work or get huge with these drivers...(?))

Also, weren't the prototype designs using the Neo 10 and the 3 with the more rounded wave guide flatter in the treble region?

Thanks

A TMM pushes the acoustic centers too far apart. I tried it with a MMTMM too.

I can build the studio monitor as a small floor standing model with two M-165/16's below the mid.

And both of those models have a really flat response.

ricardojoa

« Reply #171 on: 4 Sep 2019, 10:30 am »
Danny,

Does the complete kit include all the panels for the cabinet?

Danny Richie

« Reply #172 on: 4 Sep 2019, 12:52 pm »
Danny,

Does the complete kit include all the panels for the cabinet?

It includes the CNC cut front baffle. The rest is easy to make.

Jmitchell3

Re: New Studio Monitor
« Reply #173 on: 4 Sep 2019, 07:51 pm »
Pics with completed top grills.

Wow those look great!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #174 on: 25 Oct 2019, 02:16 am »
Has anybody completed one of these kits? How big of a room can these work in and still get great detailed soundstage and imaging?

Danny Richie

« Reply #175 on: 25 Oct 2019, 01:07 pm »
Has anybody completed one of these kits? How big of a room can these work in and still get great detailed soundstage and imaging?

The bigger the room and the further you get them out in the room, the deeper and larger the sound stage will be.

I sold another one of these kits yesterday. It might take a little bit for feedback to roll in, but I bet it will be very positive.

Max7

Top Cover
« Reply #176 on: 25 Oct 2019, 01:17 pm »
Hi Dannie, just ordered these amazing looking monitors yesterday (this is Q) and I had a few follow-up questions:

1. What material do you recommend for construction of the box? HDF, MDF, birch plywood, etc.
2. In your experience does changing the front baffle material (like Corian or aluminum) improve the resonance?
3. Does the kit come with the top cover frame/fabric?

Thanks!

Danny Richie

Re: Top Cover
« Reply #177 on: 25 Oct 2019, 03:48 pm »
Hi Dannie, just ordered these amazing looking monitors yesterday (this is Q) and I had a few follow-up questions:

1. What material do you recommend for construction of the box? HDF, MDF, birch plywood, etc.
2. In your experience does changing the front baffle material (like Corian or aluminum) improve the resonance?
3. Does the kit come with the top cover frame/fabric?

Thanks!

Hey Q,

1. MDF is fine. It is dense and less resonant than other materials. It is also cheap and easy to purchase and cut.
2. The front baffle is 1.375" thick already. So there is no resonance issue. Also the woofer frame is made from a polymer material that is non-resonance and will not transmit a resonant to the front baffle like most woofers. And it surface mounts so baffle material is not removed for mounting like many drivers that have to be recessed.
3. The kit does not come with material for making a grill. Grill cloth type and color is up to you.

Max7

« Reply #178 on: 25 Oct 2019, 04:55 pm »
Also, where is the listening axis? My listening position will vary between 5 and 7 feet from the plane of the speakers.
So while seated, if my ears are 40" from the floor, what height should my speaker stand be (or rather, how high should the base of the speakers be from the floor)?

Danny Richie

« Reply #179 on: 25 Oct 2019, 06:54 pm »
Also, where is the listening axis? My listening position will vary between 5 and 7 feet from the plane of the speakers.
So while seated, if my ears are 40" from the floor, what height should my speaker stand be (or rather, how high should the base of the speakers be from the floor)?

Ideally get the tweeter height up to near ear level.