Prototype Tube Preamp(s) for sale

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
Prototype Tube Preamp(s) for sale
« on: 24 Jan 2014, 09:51 am »
Hey guys, I have a couple of prototype preamps that feature tube outputs using the E88CC dual triode tube, one on each channel.  Mundorf caps in the signal path.

The casework is really nice, comes with working remote control, and enough room inside to add a 250W class D Audio amplifier and power supply. Could be easily modified to accept the additional circuitry and there's enough room on the back panel to add a couple sets of quality binding posts.

The preamp is fully functional as is and was to be sold for $1800 retail. They'd make a great project box for converting to an integrated amp or simply used as a functioning preamp with remote control.  The last picture shows the components for a ClassDAudio 250W stereo amplifier and power supply alongside the blue preamp board to show the available space for project work.

It has two outputs, 4 inputs, all single ended.

Asking $800 each.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Re: Prototype Tube Preamp(s) for sale
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2014, 06:25 pm »
How many DB of gain does this pre have?
Kind regards,
Guy

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2014, 07:03 am »
How many DB of gain does this pre have?
Kind regards,
Guy

At max volume, around 20dB.  I typically run the volume to no higher than about -25dB on the volume knob when running sources like PC audio with 1V line levels before the amp starts hitting peak levels.  That leaves over 60 1dB steps to control the volume, plenty of resolution.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2014, 09:19 pm »
For $800 this pre is impossible to beat.  I had it hooked up here for awhile and it performs to a very high standard!  It has a very black background and low noise floor, dynamic, engaging, and very resolving.  The only area it gives up anything to MUCH more expensive pre's is smoothness/refinement, while still being quite good in that regard.  Optical/LED volume control btw.

gigbyt

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2014, 09:36 pm »
are the tubes soldered to the board/ and what functions does the remote have?
thanks
john.

bummrush

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2014, 05:21 pm »
Beautiful

schadenfreude

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2014, 03:24 pm »
Hi Pete,

What's the input, output impedance.  Also, i presume the 2 pairs of outputs when both used would mean they are in parallel to each tube right?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:37 pm »
are the tubes soldered to the board/ and what functions does the remote have?
thanks
john.

Tubes are in sockets.  Easy to change after removing the chassis top plate.
Remote has 4 buttons to choose input on the left hand side of the remote.  Upper right button is power, under it is mute, and the two buttons lower right are volume up, volume down.  I'm sure that it would be easy to program a universal remote to control it.

Hi Pete,

What's the input, output impedance.  Also, i presume the 2 pairs of outputs when both used would mean they are in parallel to each tube right?

Input impedance is 100K Ohm.  Not sure what the output impedance actually is, but it's fairly low.  It's had no trouble driving a few different amplifiers.  The two outputs are in parallel.

Output noise levels are exceedingly low. 

Mazeppa

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2018, 03:27 am »
Lots of extra room in there, for sure.

What are the dimensions, HxWxL?