BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY
« Reply #40 on: 26 Jul 2014, 08:19 pm »
Hi, James, Is the new drive a retro fit for the BCD-1 and is it a dedicated cd drive?

Yes pure Redbook drive and given the new DACs available should really perform very well.

james

mkaiser

« Reply #41 on: 26 Jul 2014, 08:30 pm »
Yes please James. I would definitely buy a new CD Player from Bryston. I really enjoyed the BCD1's performance.

sweetspot

« Reply #42 on: 26 Jul 2014, 08:33 pm »
Yes pure Redbook drive and given the new DACs available should really perform very well.

james
  BRING IT ON,JAMES!!!! :thumb:

1ZIP

« Reply #43 on: 27 Jul 2014, 04:30 am »
Here's hoping for a BCD-? under the Christmas tree!

Hicham

« Reply #44 on: 27 Jul 2014, 09:24 am »
Yes I would call it a viable option. But I'm 54 and maybe a dinosaur. I belong to an audio club, and I've only once seen computer audio perform without a hitch. I'll stick with CD's for the time being. BTW, I currently own a BCD-1, and have been using it for 4 years. No hiccups with it, and I recently tried a number of DACs to see if I could improve the sound; they all went back.
Please only make the player if it will equal or top the BCD...
+1
Spot on, I can not add more.

R. Daneel

« Reply #45 on: 27 Jul 2014, 01:21 pm »
Hi James!

I think Bryston would benefit from a new CD player here in Europe. I certainly don't see anyone ripping their CDs to computers and playing the music like that. For this reason, CD players are still quite popular. Good sales prove that. Price of the BCD-1 was close to a Naim CDS and Exposure MCX and you certainly do have a lot to offer and would find a good deal of customers. I know that my dealer in Zagreb said it is a shame the BCD-1 got discontinued. They had an ex-demo unit at the time but I missed the opportunity and regret it.

Cheers!
Antun

stereoal

« Reply #46 on: 27 Jul 2014, 05:59 pm »
I would welcome the return of Bryston's CD player. My only request is that is sound as good as the old one. I have hundreds of CDs and the task of ripping them is just too much work. Life's too short for that. Besides, I prefer CDs. I like reading the liner notes while I listen to them. It's a more enjoyable experience.  It's the same as reading the print version of a newspaper compared to the online version. I have a BCD and I love it . I would gladly purchase another one.

spinner

« Reply #47 on: 27 Jul 2014, 06:57 pm »
I would welcome the return of Bryston's CD player. My only request is that is sound as good as the old one. I have hundreds of CDs and the task of ripping them is just too much work. Life's too short for that. Besides, I prefer CDs. I like reading the liner notes while I listen to them. It's a more enjoyable experience.  It's the same as reading the print version of a newspaper compared to the online version. I have a BCD and I love it . I would gladly purchase another one.
  Right on... exactly my feeling as well....... :beer:

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #48 on: 28 Jul 2014, 10:34 am »

james

Sound/performance-wise, where would it be compared to the BDP-2/BDA-2 combo?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #49 on: 28 Jul 2014, 11:21 am »
For those of you who can't wait, there appears to be an "unused" silver Bryston BCD-1 on Audiogon.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/cd-sacd-players-bryston-bcd1-cd-player-2014-07-28-digital-11030-plandome-ny

It's described as "Demo unit, never used. Mint condition"

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #50 on: 28 Jul 2014, 11:40 am »
Sound/performance-wise, where would it be compared to the BDP-2/BDA-2 combo?

Hi Grit

The analog section and the power supply section on the new player would be identical but the drive and the DACs used would be different.  I have not been able to listen to the prototype we have in engineering yet (still working on it) but I will certainly compare it to the BCD1.  The new AKM DACs we are looking at do seem to perform extremely well over the older Crystal DACs used in the BCD1.

james

Samurai7595

« Reply #51 on: 28 Jul 2014, 12:33 pm »
For those of you who can't wait, there appears to be an "unused" silver Bryston BCD-1 on Audiogon.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/cd-sacd-players-bryston-bcd1-cd-player-2014-07-28-digital-11030-plandome-ny

It's described as "Demo unit, never used. Mint condition"

There's also one on CAM (USA):

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649130426-bryston_bcd1_cd_player_with_br2_remote_black_over_50_off/

Rod_S

« Reply #52 on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:13 pm »
I might be interested if it was also a SACD player. No need for DVD-A or Blu-ray Audio as those discs are fundamentally video discs so leave those to other players. The catch for me though is it would have to handle both stereo and multi-channel SACD with 5.1 analog outs as I wouldn't expect a HDMI interface be added to digitally get the surround out.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:48 pm »
I might be interested if it was also a SACD player. No need for DVD-A or Blu-ray Audio as those discs are fundamentally video discs so leave those to other players. The catch for me though is it would have to handle both stereo and multi-channel SACD with 5.1 analog outs as I wouldn't expect a HDMI interface be added to digitally get the surround out.

Hi Rod

I can tell you with a dedicated CD drive SACD is not available.

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #54 on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:51 pm »
  Seems that every sacd player always puts cd in second place for sonic priority . If it ain't redbook it ain't for me   LOL :violin:

Samurai7595

« Reply #55 on: 28 Jul 2014, 06:03 pm »
  Seems that every sacd player always puts cd in second place for sonic priority . If it ain't redbook it ain't for me   LOL :violin:

+1  :thumb:

MoPac

« Reply #56 on: 28 Jul 2014, 06:08 pm »
 I think the BOT is a great product that could serve both the spinners and the computer folks.  It would need spdif out and maybe I2s on HDMI.  Sure you would need a DAC, but my guess is many people commenting on this subject have one.  As far as jitter is concerned many DACs can now buffer the stream minimizing timing errors.
 The fact that the BOT can rip and interface with a BDP makes it a more versatile component as long as it can also play a CD to any DAC.  The use of an easily replaceable Blu-Ray drive makes the drive obsolescence issue go away.  Ayre uses a CD ROM for their CD player and it's a killer.  I have had two high end CD transports that can no longer be repaired due to the drive being unavailable.  Never again.

Rich

powerfast

« Reply #57 on: 28 Jul 2014, 08:25 pm »
I have a BCD-1, I would like to see a larger display on the BCD-2 and with more disc information. Like # of tracks on the disc, selectable count down timer.

Phil A

« Reply #58 on: 28 Jul 2014, 08:41 pm »
I have had two high end CD transports that can no longer be repaired due to the drive being unavailable.  Never again.

Rich

I concur on that one.  I've had  DACs (new and used) and one was 16-17 years old when I sold it and on CDs it had similar sonic qualities as the BCD-1 I had at the time (I'd give the edge to the BCD-1 on tighter/better bass performance).  Even drives that do not malfunction have a limited life (like the original drive on the BCD-1 which was around for how long after the unit came out?).  I've also owned expensive transports and while I sold them before repair issues came up, it was not something that held up value wise vs. other things.  Modern DACs, like the BDA-1, which I owned at one point, offer great CD playback and have the ability to do higher resolution that CD too.  Rippping CDs with something like dbpoweramp takes little effort (and probably less than a minute for each CD) and the biggest concern at that point is making sure you have back-up.  With simple to use software like JRiver you can have album art and complete information about the album

BrystonFan

« Reply #59 on: 28 Jul 2014, 11:45 pm »
Surely Phil, a brand new BCD-2 would find its way into one of the many systems you run.  :D
No back-breaking lugging of those Bryston amp beasts required either!