STM monoblock

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
STM monoblock
« on: 11 Mar 2021, 08:17 pm »
Tommy, I have a question about STM Maraschino amplifier.  Can it be used as a monoblock amplifier?  About 8 years ago I experimented with using a balanced output preamp to a regular amplifier, using 2 RCA's from the balanced line.  Utilizing the + to one RCA + pin and the - output of the balanced line to the other RCA + pin and the balanced ground to both RCA - shields.  It worked well, no noise, etc.  Had special cables made for this purpose.  Is there any problems with this?  I have read on A'gon that the speaker impedance will be half at the amp terminals, and other horror stories about doing this.  I would like your views as the amp designer.  Is it possible for you to modify the STM to be a monoblock amp?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: STM monoblock
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2021, 06:14 am »
Tommy, I have a question about STM Maraschino amplifier.  Can it be used as a monoblock amplifier?  About 8 years ago I experimented with using a balanced output preamp to a regular amplifier, using 2 RCA's from the balanced line.  Utilizing the + to one RCA + pin and the - output of the balanced line to the other RCA + pin and the balanced ground to both RCA - shields.  It worked well, no noise, etc.  Had special cables made for this purpose.  Is there any problems with this?  I have read on A'gon that the speaker impedance will be half at the amp terminals, and other horror stories about doing this.  I would like your views as the amp designer.  Is it possible for you to modify the STM to be a monoblock amp?
Since the STM is a full balanced amplifier ("bridged" design), this technique is not applicable.  It can be done with Classic Cherry amplifiers, however since they are "half bridge" type.  Thanks.