Tyson's V2 Venuette DIY Build

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Tyson's V2 Venuette DIY Build
« Reply #60 on: 17 Sep 2010, 09:53 pm »
Update on the sound of the V2s.  I've been running my Isotek CD all day and am now listening to some Billie Holiday from her Columbia years.  The interesting thing is that the coherence of these speakers has a very cool effect on old noisy recordings like this.  It makes the music more enjoyable.  On the one hand, the super efficient tweeter actually makes the noise more noticeable but on the other hand, the noise seems to be more "separate" from the music signal.  In other words, on my previous speakers the surface noise was tightly bound up with the presentation of the music, making it very hard to "listen past" the imperfections of these old recordings.  But with the V2's, it's actually much easier to listen past it and hear the actual instrument tone and reality.  Interesting, no?

HT cOz

« Reply #61 on: 17 Sep 2010, 10:14 pm »
More specifically, an H-frame, push-pull, open baffle bass section? 

Not may different ways to do efficiently (with the same number of pieces and least amount of real estate).  Maybe it's just a coincidence that the 'V uses this topology... just like the Orion.   :wink:

Intellectual Property is so convienient to "borrow" (term used loosely).  Just don't do it with your thesis.   :nono:

We all stand on the shoulders of giants 

Chester W. Rice and Edward W. Kellogg:  Notes on the Development of a New Type of Hornless Loudspeaker,
Transactions of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, issue 44, 1925, pages 461-475

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #62 on: 17 Sep 2010, 11:09 pm »
Sorry Tyson for posting the pic on your thread........I didnt want to coax the worm out of the wood....but he shows his ugly head again.

I cant comment on the "others".....havnt heard them.
His comments on the Vs dont count....he hasnt heard them.

I hope you enjoy your V2s as much as I enjoy my V1s.......
And I hope he takes his medication......so we can continue here in peace.

Tyson

« Reply #63 on: 17 Sep 2010, 11:16 pm »
Getting back to sound, I'm listening to Bach's Solo Violin Sonata BWV1001 performed by Grumiaux on the Philips label.  The difference I hear with the V2's versus my old RM40's or my more recent fully active Ella speakers is that the violin sound is less "slashing" and more open, and there's a greater sense of the acoustic that the violin was recorded in, which was (I believe) an empty church.  Very cool.  I'd not listened to Grumiaux much over the last several years because I always felt the recording was too metalic and piercing, but it sounds very good right now.  I guess that's a pretty good endorsement of the V2's ;)

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #64 on: 17 Sep 2010, 11:31 pm »
Tyson:

Thanks for sharing the info I requested.  I very much liked Mike's Abbey's and still may go down that road in the future.  However, I am also very interested in the Super V's, V-1's and your V-2's.  I need to make a point of finding some near me to listen to if possible(NE Ohio).

Randy

Tyson

« Reply #65 on: 17 Sep 2010, 11:33 pm »
If you come to RMAF (or make any other trips down here), I'd be more than happy to buy you a single malt scotch at Pint's (2 blocks from me), and let you have a good listen to the V2's at my place.

Tyson

« Reply #66 on: 17 Sep 2010, 11:35 pm »
Oh, and one addendum that I think clearly favors the V2 is again in the bass.  I think the Gedlee speakers really do need a sub (or 3) to get a great low end to match it's amazing midrange and highs.  The V2's don't need an external sub at all, they will absolutely give you huge bass when called for, all by themselves.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #67 on: 17 Sep 2010, 11:54 pm »
Oh, and one addendum that I think clearly favors the V2 is again in the bass.  I think the Gedlee speakers really do need a sub (or 3) to get a great low end to match it's amazing midrange and highs.  The V2's don't need an external sub at all, they will absolutely give you huge bass when called for, all by themselves.

Tyson,

I do want to clarify that the GedLee kit or fully built speakers are only part of the investment. You buy that type of speaker with the premise or understanding of adding a minimum of two subwoofers or more. The recommendation is three subs placed asymmetrically in the room (GedLee style) or four placed somewhat symmetrically (Todd Welti/Floyd Toole style).   It does give you the opportunity or flexibility if you will of using any kind of bass system be it OB, sealed, ported, horn, etc...in fact several users have Danny's OB subs which are no slouches of course. But not everybody wants to use servo controlled OB subs. In fact, Mike Galusha now uses sealed servo subs from Danny built beautifully by the wonderful Ruben.

I'm planning on using Danny's OB subs and then augmenting the lowest end with a big beefy sealed sub as well for the home theater wild explosions!

Tyson, I really want to applaud you on your build and your excellent description on the differences between the V2 and GedLee Abbey you have heard from recent memory...it's not that easy I know.

Anand.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #68 on: 18 Sep 2010, 01:10 am »
The truth hurts.

My pleasure, Danny.

Oh, here's that V2 review link I promised: http://orion.quicksytes.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7618

:scratch: What review?

Anand.

Lyndon

« Reply #69 on: 18 Sep 2010, 01:14 am »
Back to the Mighty Tyson Build Thread!
Tyson,
I was lucky enough to have Mike G invite me (poor guy, I basically invited myself) this summer, and I can totally agree with you
about his system.  Just gobsmacked me!
Tremendous sound quality.
If you think your system now sounds comparable, please invite this Utah boy over for a listen next Easter time.
I would love to hear it.
Lyndon
And Danny, ignore the swine. You know I got your back after a "friend" blew out one of my
GR drivers, and you helped me out big time! :thumb:

Tyson

« Reply #70 on: 18 Sep 2010, 01:17 am »
Tyson,

I do want to clarify that the GedLee kit or fully built speakers are only part of the investment. You buy that type of speaker with the premise or understanding of adding a minimum of two subwoofers or more. The recommendation is three subs placed asymmetrically in the room (GedLee style) or four placed somewhat symmetrically (Todd Welti/Floyd Toole style).   It does give you the opportunity or flexibility if you will of using any kind of bass system be it OB, sealed, ported, horn, etc...in fact several users have Danny's OB subs which are no slouches of course. But not everybody wants to use servo controlled OB subs. In fact, Mike Galusha now uses sealed servo subs from Danny built beautifully by the wonderful Ruben.

I'm planning on using Danny's OB subs and then augmenting the lowest end with a big beefy sealed sub as well for the home theater wild explosions!

Tyson, I really want to applaud you on your build and your excellent description on the differences between the V2 and GedLee Abbey you have heard from recent memory...it's not that easy I know.

Anand.

Oh, definitely!  I just think that for $1k the V2 has an advantage of a full kit with no need for any additional subs.  Whereas with the Gedlees, there's the cost of the speaker itself, plus the cost of a sub (or 3). 

JDUBS

« Reply #71 on: 18 Sep 2010, 01:35 am »
LOWtech is a Linkwitz shill and troll....that's pretty obvious.  Sorry he had to invade your thread, Tyson.

He's honestly made me NOT want to buy Linkwitz anything.

-Jim

Danny Richie

« Reply #72 on: 18 Sep 2010, 01:52 am »
He's honestly made me NOT want to buy Linkwitz anything.

Unfortunately for Mr Linkwitz you are not the first to feel that way or to state it in a forum.

Tyson

« Reply #73 on: 18 Sep 2010, 02:01 am »
Getting back to the sound of the V2's, after listening a bit more today, the best compliment I can give them is that they sound very much like my BeyerDynamic DT880's.  Actually, they sound more like the Sennheiser HD800's, with a very spacious overall sound and spot on tonal balance and a level of transparency and dynamics and overall immunity to room effects.

downhill

« Reply #74 on: 18 Sep 2010, 02:08 am »

I suppose you can't expect too much honesty when you've aligned yourself with the likes of MLS.

This is one great forum.  However it only takes one bad apple.............

Some people seem to have such mundane lives that sometimes the biggest thrill they've had in years is going on line and seeing how big a pot they can stir. 

Other than that,  great thread on the V2's.

Tyson

« Reply #75 on: 18 Sep 2010, 02:27 am »
Maybe we can scrub my thread of the non-V2 discussions?

mgalusha

« Reply #76 on: 18 Sep 2010, 03:37 am »
Err... thanks for the kind words. :o I manged to make it a little better last week, got the DAC S/N up to 116dB.

One of these days I'll get to hear the V2's. I know how much Tyson was enjoying the DEQX and the Ella's, so it's great to know the V2's are producing even more happiness.  :thumb:

Tyson

« Reply #77 on: 18 Sep 2010, 05:01 am »
Heh, I was hoping you'd stop by here :)  Your setup really did re-set the bar for what I thought was possible with a hi fi setup.  Can't wait to hear the new changes!

I'm watching the Blu-Ray of Hamlet now (the 4 hour Branagh version) and you can hear when the engineers switch on and off the vocal track for when people speak.  That's not uncommon for me to hear via headphones, quite common in fact, but very rare indeed to hear with speakers.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #78 on: 18 Sep 2010, 05:31 am »
Good luck with your V2's Tyson.... :beer:

The V2's don't need an external sub at all, they will absolutely give you huge bass when called for, all by themselves.

And good clean bass is very important to the overall sound....the foundation of music... :wink:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #79 on: 18 Sep 2010, 05:35 am »
Good luck with your V2's Tyson.... :beer:

And good clean bass is very important to the overall sound....the foundation of music... :wink: