Using Out of Phase Subwoofers to Reduce Bass Resonances

Rusty Jefferson

Re: Using Out of Phase Subwoofers to Reduce Bass Resonances
« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2023, 12:19 am »
Take a measurement without the subwoofers to show what the speakers in the room are doing.

WGH

« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2023, 05:49 pm »
Take a measurement without the subwoofers to show what the speakers in the room are doing.

Or maybe a variation of the Sumiko Master Set Speaker Setup, take a measurement of one speaker at a time.

While you are contemplating solutions, Audio Check has a complete range of free online test tools or pay $5 to download uncompressed .wav files for every test.
https://www.audiocheck.net/

The sub tests you would be interested in are:
Low Frequency Response and Subwoofer Audio Test (10-200 Hz)
Subwoofer Kick Test
Subwoofer Midrange Frequency Test
Low Frequency Sound Localization and Subwoofer Imaging Test

Pure (Sine) Tones
    Full Sine Sweep (20-20,000 Hz)
    Low End Sine Sweep (20-200 Hz)
    Perceptual Sine Sweep (20-20,000 Hz)
    Sine Bursts (20-200 Hz)

Noises
    White Noise
    Pink Noise
    Brown (Red) Noise
    Blue (Azure) Noise
    Violet (Purple) Noise
    Grey (Perceptual) Noise

Pure Tone Generators
    Single Sine Tone Generator
    Dual Sine Tone Generator
    Sweep Tone Generator

WGH

« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct 2023, 06:03 pm »
I do have a Radio Shack SPL meter.

I use the Radio Shack 33-2050 Sound Level Meter with the analog display and a SPL correction table along with the Stereophile Test CD warble tones, it's accuracy is just good enough not to depress me.
Start with the 1 KHz test tone to set the reference volume at a standardized 75 dB.

Search for the correction table that matches your meter model number.

Radio Shack 33-2050 Sound Level Meter
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Testeq/RadioShack_33-2050/33-2050.htm

bernardo

« Reply #23 on: 13 Oct 2023, 06:58 pm »
Can I load the AudioTools app to my Ipad?

Could have it and Qobuz controlled by the same device and not have to borrow my wife's phone.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #24 on: 13 Oct 2023, 07:31 pm »
Can I load the AudioTools app to my Ipad?

Could have it and Qobuz controlled by the same device and not have to borrow my wife's phone.

Yep, should work from the iPad just fine.  Just go into the App Store and download it from there. 

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: 13 Oct 2023, 11:02 pm »
I've not heard these speakers, only read about their popularity here. My memory of them is the open baffle subwoofers play from the planer mids (200-ish?) down to maybe 40-ish?

I don't know anyone who has implemented a sealed (or ported) sub below an OB sub but know from the Super 7 thread, it's being done. I'm curious why the OP is crossing the sealed subs so high (think he said 120hz)?  Beyond that, there must be some black magic to getting this to work because of cancellations between the sealed and OB subs?

bernardo

« Reply #26 on: 14 Oct 2023, 07:54 pm »
Tyson-

Thanks for the help.

I have the Audio Tools App up and running. I am seeing two peaks - most significant one at 46 hz and a smaller peak at 25 hz. I have adjusted the PEQ the best I can to smooth out the 46 hz peak. I also experimented with 25 hz and 30 hz (pretty significant dip here) but that didn't result in as smooth a response as I got with adjusting for the larger 46 hz peak.

Some limited listening so far indicates more even bass response and a reduction in the corner bass resonances; so a win on both issues.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #27 on: 14 Oct 2023, 08:09 pm »
Awesome!  That's a great result.  And now you have the tools to deal with any speakers in any room. 

One other thing to check on the PEQ - before you said you had the Bandwidth set to maximum - try setting it closer to minimum and it should target the 46hz peak even better. 

My general rule for doing EQ on bass is this - Only use EQ to reduce peaks, never use EQ to boost nulls. 

You are already in a good place with your bass now, so if you want to stop here, you can.   But, if you want to try something more advanced, you can try measuring each speaker by itself.  You might find that the peaks only occur on 1 speaker.  If so, you can use the EQ only on the 1 speaker that's the problem. 

It's pretty easy to do this.  Just unplug the right RCA cable to your preamp and then measure the left speaker with the pink noise.  Then plug back in the RCA cable and unplug the left RCA cable.  Measure your right speaker with the pink noise.

Now you can set the EQ specifically to each speaker.

bernardo

« Reply #28 on: 24 Oct 2023, 02:45 pm »
I experimented with Danny's suggested Rythmik settings last night and it brought up a question. He recommended 1:00 for the phase. He used rear subs run out of phase from the fronts at his shows in the past. What phase setting would I use on the rear subs to meet the out of phase recommendation?

FWIW the crossover set at 90 hz and the phase set at 1:00 made a significant improvement. Thanks Danny. I will try the Extension Filter settings next.

bernardo

« Reply #29 on: 5 Dec 2023, 09:45 pm »
Resurrecting this thread to hopefully get an answer about how to set up the rear subs out of phase with the front subs. The front Rythmik amp phase is set at one o'clock. I will be using a Dayton SA1000 Subamp which has the same 0-180 degree phase adjustment as the Rythmik amps have. So do I set the SA1000 phase at one o'clock and then connect the speaker wire to the subs positive to positive and negative to negative to achieve an out of phase configuration?

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 6 Dec 2023, 05:02 pm »
Resurrecting this thread to hopefully get an answer about how to set up the rear subs out of phase with the front subs. The front Rythmik amp phase is set at one o'clock. I will be using a Dayton SA1000 Subamp which has the same 0-180 degree phase adjustment as the Rythmik amps have. So do I set the SA1000 phase at one o'clock and then connect the speaker wire to the subs positive to positive and negative to negative to achieve an out of phase configuration?

Try both settings to see what the results are.

lokie

« Reply #31 on: 6 Dec 2023, 09:09 pm »
Great stuff here. Thanks all.