LS9 crossover upgrade

VinceT

Re: LS9 crossover upgrade
« Reply #20 on: 26 Sep 2023, 02:10 pm »
I'm sure you already had pretty good parts in there from Danny's kit versus the AV123 components

Mine does not have any no rez and is stock AV123 cross over, my ears are not the best by any means

Anyone know, does pulling out the bass management system also improve the SQ?
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2023, 03:42 pm by VinceT »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 26 Sep 2023, 10:43 pm »
I'm sure you already had pretty good parts in there from Danny's kit versus the AV123 components

Mine does not have any no rez and is stock AV123 cross over, my ears are not the best by any means

Anyone know, does pulling out the bass management system also improve the SQ?
Well, clearly changing the resistance will affect the bass management system.  Cut them out, and you get more signal to the woofer array.  I chose to clip two of those resistors, reducing the # of resistors in series, and decreasing the bass.  Also, I would put sonicaps in place of the stock AV 123 caps.  They are reasonable in cost, and will add detail.    Somewhere I have some that I pulled out... they'd be 1/2 price if you want them.   

VinceT

« Reply #22 on: 27 Sep 2023, 03:25 am »
Well, clearly changing the resistance will affect the bass management system.  Cut them out, and you get more signal to the woofer array.  I chose to clip two of those resistors, reducing the # of resistors in series, and decreasing the bass. 

I have a really stupid question being I fully do not understand this crossover design.

Obviously the resistors play an important role, if removed I would assume there would be just too much bass from the woofers. The bass management system engages these resistors to reduce further. You said you cut two of them out (thatbere is series) which decreased the bass. That to me is confusing. I would assume that would increase the bass if removing resistors from the crossover.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #23 on: 27 Sep 2023, 05:49 pm »
There are 8-10 resistors in parallel, not series as I said  :duh:.    Resistors in parallel provide pathways for more current to flow... therefore removing two results in less current.   
It would help if  would explain it right to start with.  Sorry.