VR-35

zugisland

Re: VR-35
« Reply #60 on: 30 Nov 2011, 12:25 am »
Just made some subtle but effective changes to my system which has brought out so much more musicality in the VR 35's . I had been running them with a pair of Bryston 7bsst2d monos along with a wyred4 sound dac2 which i have been using its coax intput from an emprical audio off ramp 4 with turbo clocks. However I had in the chain a Music First Passive Magnetic preamp which I thought was a good mix. I have recently taken it out and am now just using the Wyred4sound Dac 2 as a Peamp with much better clarity and musicality. Dont know why but improvement in space betwenn intruments were very evident. I will be adding the new Jolida Fusion Tubed Preamp to the mix tomroorw and cant wait to see what happens next in my audio evolution. But as far as the Vr 35s they noware the musical prodigy I thought they shuold be.

zugisland

« Reply #61 on: 1 Dec 2011, 06:08 am »
Wow just put in the new jolidafusion tube pre amp...what a so NC different now...damped down the overall brightness and increased timber and resolution...what a great combo for the big vr35s...will post again in a few weeks once the tubes are broken in

BigSwede

« Reply #62 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:16 pm »
One of the fun and frustrating (mostly frustrating, to me) things about audio is how swapping one piece of the system can bring substantial changes, even down to interconnects and cables.

Jaco Pastorius

• On a sinkin ship,women and rythm section first!
« Reply #63 on: 4 Dec 2011, 12:38 pm »
Nice update zugisland!
The VR-35 are transparent speakers IMO,they show well changes done in the hifi chain.

I recently added a Audio Note L4 power amplifier,and this is a brilliant amplifier!
http://www.audionotekits.com/l4el34pp.html
Honestly one of the most engaging and musical amplifier I have heard regardless of price.I would have liked a little more power than its 35w ,the L6 would be very interesting to hear on the VR-35!! ,but still again the VR-35 shows what an easy load it is,it must be something about the kind impedance load,Albert ? ?  :)
And trust me these are the most powerful 35watts I have heard!!
And what the brilliant Andy Grove has done with the L4 seems to me to be something special!

Albert,I think the L4 and L6 should be on your list of amplifiers to listen to  :thumb: 

Rune

surflop

« Reply #64 on: 8 Dec 2011, 11:49 am »
Hi zugisland,

I see you added a Jolida Fusion pre to your system. Are you still happy with that configuration?
I was considering the Fusion pre and power amp package for my VR-35s. Do you feel this would be a good combination?

zugisland

« Reply #65 on: 12 Dec 2011, 02:10 am »
 Sonically the fusion was good for 2channel but I had issues with the HTML bypass,so traded it for new peach tree audio grand pre tubed dad pre amp very impressive in a synch from my computer using river paired with bryston 7bsst and vr35

iaxel

« Reply #66 on: 17 Dec 2011, 02:21 pm »
I've heard the VR-35 at a local dealer and it sounded amazing.
However, I'm a bit concerned as my system's back wall is not straight - it looks like this:

9ft
3ft  __________
___/

Therefore, I won't be able to have both speakers close to the back wall.
Does anyone have experience placing the VR-35s away from the back wall (> 3 feet)?

Thanks!

iaxel

« Reply #67 on: 17 Dec 2011, 08:46 pm »
However, I'm a bit concerned as my system's back wall is not straight - it looks like this:

9ft
3ft  __________
___/

Does anyone have experience placing the VR-35s away from the back wall (> 3 feet)?

Thanks!
A short introduction:
Coming from music into audiophilia, I've had the chance to own all kinds of system - from ultra-revealing dynamic speakers to electrostats, omni horns, horns with single ended amplification. Now I'll looking to come back home and enjoy the reason I got into this hobby in the first place - MUSIC.
The VR-35 might be one of those guiding lights to lead me back in this direction (a few other options are considered as well).

I would highly appreciate your suggestions/opinions for the issues I've raised.
Thanks!

O.D. Yeo

« Reply #68 on: 18 Dec 2011, 04:55 am »
However, I'm a bit concerned as my system's back wall is not straight. . .

Thanks!

Hi. I read your post in HiFi WW.  While I don't think the 35s look that bad, I do agree with most of your other thoughts: " . . an amazingly good speaker. . sounding more neutral and less colored (than Harbeths?) . . very "ballsy" in the bass region . . with a huge soundstage and natural sounding highs and mids. Detail is there but not distracting from the music. . All-in-all, a great speaker."
Unfortunately, i think the VR-35 was designed precisely for placement very near the rear wall and, based on the reviews and comments I've read, does not seem too work well from the 3 feet that you have in mind.

JackD201

« Reply #69 on: 18 Dec 2011, 07:06 am »
I'm a VSA distributor and even I am not too optimistic about your wall situation iaxel.  :(

surflop

« Reply #70 on: 18 Dec 2011, 09:27 am »
Can you extend the long wall in front of the short recessed wall, and incorporate some shelves or a cupboard in the space created, accessible from the end?

Malcolm02

« Reply #71 on: 20 Dec 2011, 12:50 am »

9ft
3ft  __________
___/

Thanks!

I have the VR-33 with this kind of situation - one of them close to a wall and one further away. What it does NOT sound like is unbalanced, i.e.. I don't hear more bass from one speaker than the other. However, I could do with a bit more oomph in the bass in general, so maybe I'm not getting the bass reinforcement from the wall that it's designed for.

mdconnelly

« Reply #72 on: 25 Jan 2012, 11:25 pm »
Fellow VR-35 owners!   I am the proud owner of a new pair of VR-35s and loving them.  But I've got a few questions that I'm hoping you can shed some light on...

Does it *really* take 500 hours for them to fully breakin?   I've got about 300 hours on them and I'd say they're sounding pretty damn amazing!  But, at times, the bass may be a bit too dominant.  Not fat or flabby, but just a bit overwhelming (or at least moreso than my prior speakers, which were Aerial 10Ts).  I'm wondering if further breakin might affect this.  I have already started futzing with placement, but I may just be ahead of myself on this.   

With regard to placement,  I know they are designed to be placed close to the rear wall (a big part of why I bought them) but I'm wondering what everyone's experience has been moving them in/out from the wall in terms of overall bass?  In my room now, I really can't pull them out more than maybe 12".   

Last but not least... the VR-35s are about 9' apart straddling a fireplace & hearth and currently about 8" from the wall.  (listening position is pretty much the other corner of a 9' equilateral triangle).  The fireplace brick hearth, however, is about 12" high from the floor out to about 18" from the rear wall.   Is that 12" high hearth creating a bit of corner effect with these speakers?   They're currently about 8" away from it.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with what these speakers are doing!  The soundstage is just amazing and the top-to-bottom tonal quality is mesmerizing.   But they are different from any other speaker that I've spent any time with so any insight and experience is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike

BigSwede

« Reply #73 on: 26 Jan 2012, 04:23 pm »
I had my VR-33s at 8" from the wall initially; I too found the bass slightly overdone. Moved them to 9" and have been happy since.

Room is 20x12, plaster, wood floor, carpeted. System in slightly off center on the long wall.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2012, 02:43 pm by BigSwede »

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #74 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:19 pm »

rlw3

« Reply #75 on: 26 Jan 2012, 10:14 pm »
I wish everyone writing about VS speaker placement would disclose what kind of materials their listening room is constructed of. My wooden rancher with a suspended floor surely sounds different than a masonite/cement room would. I think my wooden rancher would be boomier. i have my 35's 44 inches out into the room and 33 inches from the side wall because i have the room and it sounds better. Why should i believe that vs speakers defy the laws that govern room boundry interactions??

mdconnelly

« Reply #76 on: 26 Jan 2012, 10:32 pm »
Good idea!  My room is 12'x24'x8' with speakers on long wall about 9' apart.  Walls are standard drywall and listening room is on 1st story of 2 story home with hardwood floors over crawlspace under house.  Pretty standard fare.   

I've updated my System description to include room description as well.

JackD201

« Reply #77 on: 27 Jan 2012, 02:19 am »
I wish everyone writing about VS speaker placement would disclose what kind of materials their listening room is constructed of. My wooden rancher with a suspended floor surely sounds different than a masonite/cement room would. I think my wooden rancher would be boomier. i have my 35's 44 inches out into the room and 33 inches from the side wall because i have the room and it sounds better. Why should i believe that vs speakers defy the laws that govern room boundry interactions??

Yes rlw3, you are right on the money.

BigSwede

« Reply #78 on: 27 Jan 2012, 07:20 pm »
I have updated my above post to reflect the general room conditions.

Perhaps you should experiment with stuffing the port. Or at the least, talk to VSA about it, as in my experience you shouldn't have to place them that far out from the wall.

rlw3

« Reply #79 on: 30 Jan 2012, 08:34 pm »
i used the stuffing and thought it caused a nasality up into the lower mids. i want to try the sumiko master placement technique in the next couple of months.