VR-5SE Upgrade

cvman

VR-5SE Upgrade
« on: 18 Mar 2009, 11:48 am »
Fellow VSA Owners:

I own a set of VR-5SE's that I wouldn't mind trying to improve within a reasonable cost and efffort.  Is it possible to simply purchase the new mid ranges that replace the original discontinued Aerogel midranges? I now live in the NYC area and cannot justify the shipping costs to send to VSA for a task that I have had performed locally from other dealers representing other manufacturer speaker lines. 

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: VR-5SE Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2009, 01:48 pm »
Depends on who you ask.  It seems like that could be done effectively but I'm sure the guys at VSA will talk about voicing (a synergy of sorts) of the drivers with the specific servo controlled crossovers they were voiced with at the factory.  Just ship those babies back to CA.  What's a lousy $10K +/- ??  :banghead:

cvman

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2009, 09:21 pm »
I think the issue that you have to look at are the relative costs of the original investment along with the $$$$ i have heard rumored being asked to have VSA do the upgrade.  I surely can't justify spending $10-15K more than what a new Anni costs. It defies logic from a standard upgrade path perspective or from a customer loyalty perspective.  I'd be interested in others thoughts with regards to reasonableness or comparison to other speaker manufacturer upgrade programs.  Thanks in advance.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2009, 09:28 pm »
The question begs to be asked... To your ears,, what sonic quality is missing with your SE's or,, why are u unhappy with them? 

Jack

cvman

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2009, 03:23 am »
Jack, good point!  Do I really know what I'm missing or would the mid-range driver construction improvement truely be audibly significant?  I have not unfortunately had an opportunity to compare the two, but rely on reviewers, other owners, VSA, and dealers such as yourself that state that there is a difference. Then again, maybe its the same behavior that drives us to constantly search for the magical power cord, interconnect, amp, pre, or source.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2009, 05:07 pm »
cvman,, I would call Albert,, let him dig and probe your thoughts a little to get a feel for what might be missing and have him describe the changes with the upgrade...  He's not going to steer wrongly,, trust me.  It could be an inexpensive solution to remedy,, by changing speaker position or adding room treatment.  But it doesn't sound like your unhappy and u could save $$ by investing elsewhere... Whats the rest of your system like?  Jack

cvman

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2009, 11:48 pm »
Thanks, Jack. My underlying question is probably more of whether given the same exact equipment set-up, one would really truely hear an appreciable sonic difference based upon the new mid-range driver construction.  I'm already running Class A equipment.

JackD201

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2009, 10:58 pm »
I believe the upgrade can be done in the field (unlike an SR to 5 upgrade) but it would entail replacing the mid driver AND the crossover as well. Not an easy job but doable.