VR7 SE speakers with Joule-Electra VZN 220 amp?

Mike11

VR7 SE speakers with Joule-Electra VZN 220 amp?
« on: 14 Mar 2009, 06:41 pm »
There was a thread about amplifiers and VR7 SE speakers. Has anyone tried the Joule-Electra amp/pre amp components with these speakers? I'm making a decision between Lamm and Joule-Electra electronics and I need some help as an audition is not possible.

JackD201

Re: VR7 SE speakers with Joule-Electra VZN 220 amp?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2009, 10:22 am »
Hi Mike,

Sorry I've never heard J-Es before so I can't comment on the sound, only the temperature :). 6c33c-bs run HOT HOT HOT!  I've lived with BAT VK-150s (total of 8 6c33c tubes) and Lamm ML 1.1s (total of only 4). All I can say is I hope you've got some seriously good AC or live in a very cold state because those 24 tubes will be hot enough to toast bread. Actually the 4 tubes a side were already hot enough to toast bread. The 12 a side might be able to slow roast a couple of chickens.

I can comment on Lamm though. The VR-7 SEs they are fairly sensitive and if you check with ceedee you'll find they run fine with the Kronzilla monoblocks. Personally, I like gobs of spare power. Just nice to know it's there when you need it right? I'd go for the Lamm M2.2s take the savings and double the power of the 1.2 Refs and upgrade the 6922 with premium NOS as my choice from the Lamm stable to match with VR-7 SEs. They are after all my choice for the VR-9s even if I do have M1.2 Refs and ML1.1s on hand.

J-Es are rather rare just as VR-7SEs are rare. I do hope someone with actual experience with them both can help you out.

All the Best,

JackD201

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2009, 12:09 pm »
Hi Mike,

Jack is wright about the 6c33c.
You can always look and listen at the Kronzilla DX of KR Audio Electronics.
The KR amps are very efficient these days. The big T 1610 tube is probably the best triode tube there is.
We use them already for ten years now and we never found a amplifier making more music.

Good luck.

Cor Dekker
Musical Reality

arthurs

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2009, 12:42 pm »
There's a guy over on AudiogoN who runs the VR7 with VAC Phi 300.1, he seems very happy with how they sound together....throwing it out as another option.  I met him as we own the same amps and started corresponding.

fplanner2000 is his username on AudiogoN...

rbwalt

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2009, 02:41 pm »
joule electra gear is great sounding. i have a La-150MkII line stage and love it. the guys at merlin music have been using joule electra gear for years and always come away with great reviews from the audio shows. just check out merlin's web site for show reports.

r walters.

fplanner2000

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2009, 06:02 pm »
Hey Art - did u get the pics?  Call me if you did/didn't.  Lets try to talk today. 

I'm the one with the VR7se's and Phi 300.1 from Audiogon and the synergy is so good I am probably going to order another one tomorrow and use them as monoblocks. 150w/side is very nice, but 300w of VAC power to each speaker should really be something very special.  VAC amps and preamps are a great match with VSA speakers, as I know Albert will attest.  Since it appears you want tubes, VAC should definitely be on the short list with your speakers.  VAC support from Kevin Hayes is also second to none.