Who buried the VR-3?

uubailey

Who buried the VR-3?
« on: 21 Oct 2008, 07:43 pm »
I never hear so much as a peep about these things and happen to own a pair. VSA even pulled the VR-3 from their legacy literature / manuals page. At the time I purchased them, they were well-reviewed and seemed to be getting lots of praise on various audio-oriented sources on the internet (often getting compared to PSB Stratus Gold's which seemed to be the benchmark for that price point in '96-'97).

Is there a reason that VSA is trying to pretend like this speaker doesn't exist? Is there some sort of design flaw in them? Are they obsolete? Am I the only one who owns them or just the only one willing to freely admit it?

The reason I ask is I'm working on putting together a 5.1 (or 7.1) surround system. Should I try to sell these or give them away? Should I build my 5.1 setup around these or would that be inadvisable? I was going to start by purchasing a used LCR-15, but now I'm unsure if I want to go that route. If I were to start from scratch, I would not be using a similarly expensive "boutique" brand because I can't afford 5 expensive speakers and a sub.

Any theories / suggestions are appreciated.

JackD201

Re: Who buried the VR-3?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2008, 08:15 pm »
Did Junior replace the VR-3?

When we started with VSA the main VR speaker lines were as follows

VRs 1, 2, 4jr, 4HSE. The 5 HSEs and 7 HSEs had just been discontinued

later it became

VRs 1, 2, 4jr, 4SR then joined by 5,7,9 and 11

Todays VR matrix consists of

VR 4SR, 5 Anniversary, 9SE and 11 SE with the 4jr Anniversary and VR-77 set to join the line up very soon.

Logically even in cabinet and driver size and complement one might surmise that the Jr is today's VR-3 so it was never killed at all just renamed to reflect the change from a single baffle design to a double stack like its dad the SR and the Gen II and Gen III before it.

The VR-3s and 3.5s are great speakers. One of Alberts favorites in fact. Over here they are collectibles.

VSA_JOE

Re: Who buried the VR-3?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2008, 12:00 am »
Hello uubailey the reason the literature on all our older models is not on our website is because we are still working on the website and we'll add an archive section down the road that'll include information on our older models. This is still a new website only a few weeks old, so we are still actively updating the whole site.

You're not the only one with VR-3s we still get requests for parts to service that speaker(replacement drivers)and the customers always tell me that they're going to keep their VR-3s forever. There's absolutley nothing flawed about the VR-3s, and Jack is right when he says they're one of Albert's favorite designs.

If you have specific questions about your 5.1 setup, please feel free to ask me, I would suggest you try to use the VR-3s first before deciding whether you want to get rid of them or not, they are great speakers and you should not feel deterred from using them.