Phonostage advice needed

Kiwiguy

Phonostage advice needed
« on: 2 May 2021, 05:04 pm »
Hi,
I wonder if I can tap into your experience.
Im looking for a phonostage preamp that would pair nicely with my Audio Research Ref3 and Parasound JC-1 Monobloks/ Theil Cs3.6 Speakers.  Ive been out of the loop for 12 years and Im putting a system  back together.   I also have a Delphi Oracle MK1, and would be looking for a cartridge that would also provide some synergy.
Thanks in advance.
KG

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Phonostage advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2021, 05:49 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
I will move this topic to the Vinyl Circle for the vinyl guys see your question.
« Last Edit: 2 May 2021, 08:24 pm by FullRangeMan »

twitch54

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2021, 06:31 pm »
Budget ?

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2021, 09:28 pm »
Check out the ModWright PH 9.0 tubed phono preamp. It's a real winner, check out the reviews and here on the AC thread on user experiences.

NB
« Last Edit: 3 May 2021, 11:42 am by nature boy »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2021, 11:43 pm »
Budget ?
Vista
Graham Slee
Jolida
Hagerman

When you start looking much past $1K you're out of my range, so I can't advise. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2021, 12:02 am »
JuicyMusic Tercel (used)
Tavish Design Vintage 6SL7

both sound great at reasonable cost

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2021, 03:26 am »
How about a Parasound JC phono preamp or possibly a Pass Labs  XP-17 Phono pre without knowing your budget.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/pass-laboratories-xp-17-phonostage

Escott1377

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2021, 11:17 am »
I have Lehmann Audio Decade that I have been considering putting up for sale.  Lots of info on the web.  It’s solid state and I am considering the move back into tubes.

It has not seen much use as I am lazily gravitating towards the ease of high rez digital.

I have it paired with a Soundsmith Voice and it is a fantastic combo.

PM me if you might be interested.

Prior to owning this phono stage, I owned the Manley Chinook which is my favorite that I have owned.

Good luck and have fun!

Craig B

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2021, 12:19 pm »
In the $1k range, I highly recommend Channel Islands Audio's PEQ1-Mk2, especially with the optional upgraded power supply. Dusty Vawter is a very talented designer, and a great guy to work with. They have a circle here on the forum, too.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2021, 01:03 pm »
How is the Ray Samuels gear?

ACHiPo

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2021, 08:12 pm »
How is the Ray Samuels gear?
Pretty good.  I have the Emmeline XR-10B.  I replaced it with a much more expensive (and better) Wavestream Kinetics tube phono stage, but for the price the Emmeline was quite good (plus it has multiple phono inputs which was a requirement for me).  PM me if you're interested.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2021, 12:51 am »
Depending on your budget either Lounge Audio or PS Audio.

Lounge Audio has the LCRMKIII  for moving magnet and high output moving coil or moving iron (SoundSmith) carts. The LCRMKIII comes in three versions from $340 to $720. I originally bought the standard version then a couple years later had them upgrade it to the top of the line Gold model. As good as the standard model is, the Gold is a serious upgrade. If you use a low output cartridge, you will need to add their COPLA step up amplifier (not transformer). It comes in two models: standard at $310 and Silver at $420. I got a Silver COPLA to go with the LCRMKIII Gold. This is a killer combo. So with Lounge Audio, you can get high output for $340-$720 and low output for $650-$1,140.

The PS Audio Stellar Phono handles both low and high output carts and is in a completely different league. Check out the reviews. It sells for $2,500 but PS Audio takes trade-ins that can bring the price as far down as $1,750.

When it comes to cartridges, give SoundSmith some serious attention. I just upgraded my Ortophon 2M Black to a SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star and the results are astounding. SoundSmith makes carts from $400 up to $10,000 so they are bound to have a model within your budget.

GregC

« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2021, 01:04 am »
Check out the ModWright PH 9.0 tubed phono preamp. It's a real winner, check out the reviews and here on the AC thread on user experiences.

NB

+1

I love mine, I have the upgraded Wywires umbilical cable and the 9.0X transformer upgrade.  It really sings with Siemens 6922 vintage tubes from 1970 (with O-getters).

johnto

« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2021, 01:44 am »
I have an Ayre P5-XE that is magnificent sounding with my Pass gear, should be available for about $1500 on the used market.