VR-4 Gen III HSE --> ???

mhconley

VR-4 Gen III HSE --> ???
« on: 7 Feb 2020, 01:11 pm »
I own a pair of VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers that I absolutely love. I am happy every time I listen to them. They are in excellent condition and will likely outlive me. Is there any reason to swap them for another newer Von Schweikert speaker? Unfortunately, I cannot afford anything Von Schweikert currently sells. I am, however, considering the following used speakers that are within my reach:
  • VR-35 Export Deluxe @ $3500
  • VR-4 SR Mk II @ $4000
  • VR-5 SE @ $5000

Should I / would you stick with the VR-4 Gen III HSE or purchase one of the options above and what is your reasoning for doing so?

Thanks,
Martin
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2020, 03:36 pm by mhconley »

Charles Calkins

Re: VR-4 Gen III HSE --> ???
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2020, 01:58 am »
I own a pair of VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers that I absolutely love. I am happy every time I listen to them. They are in excellent condition and will likely outlive me. Is there any reason to swap them for another newer Von Schweikert speaker? Unfortunately, I cannot afford anything Von Schweikert currently sells. I am, however, considering the following used speakers that are within my reach:
  • VR-35 Export Deluxe @ $3500
  • VR-4 SR Mk II @ $4000
  • VR-5 SE @ $5000

Should I / would you stick with the VR-4 Gen III HSE or purchase one of the options above and what is your reasoning for doing so?

Thanks,
Martin
            I had my VR- 4 Gen III HSE speakers upgraded to the VR-4 SR Mk 4 in 2011
             The upgrades cost me $3067.30 you can't go wrong. Albert told me that mine border
            on the sound of the VR-5 Anniversary speaker system.
            The upgrade comes with new socks plus all the electronics.
            These speakers will be my main speakers forever.
             I'm not sure if Albert can upgrade your speakers. Give him a call

Cheers
                                                    Charlie

mhconley

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2020, 02:28 am »
            I had my VR- 4 Gen III HSE speakers upgraded to the VR-4 SR Mk 4 in 2011
             The upgrades cost me $3067.30 you can't go wrong. Albert told me that mine border
            on the sound of the VR-5 Anniversary speaker system.
            The upgrade comes with new socks plus all the electronics.
            These speakers will be my main speakers forever.
             I'm not sure if Albert can upgrade your speakers. Give him a call

Cheers
                                                    Charlie

Perhaps I’ll ask Damon at the Florida Audio Expo tomorrow.  :)

Martin

fittebd

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2021, 08:33 pm »
mhconley, did you ever find out anything about the upgrade?

mhconley

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2021, 05:59 pm »
mhconley, did you ever find out anything about the upgrade?

I did not see anyone from Von Schweikert in the room the several times I checked while I was there. I have not contacted Von Schweikert because the speakers sound fantastic to me and I think an upgrade would cost way more than I am willing to spend. I'm currently looking for a used pair of VR-5's - the later 2 cabinet version. I'm willing to wait until I find a pair in my price range. I waited until I could afford the VR4 Gen III HSEs so I can wait until I can afford a pair of preowned VR5s.

Martin

stewie

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2021, 03:52 pm »
It's hard to beat those VR4 III HSEs, I do believe. They aren't the most beautiful speakers to look at, but the sound is incredible. I only sold mine b/c I had a chance to buy--locally--a pair of VR5 HSE (single cabinet towers). They're great, and have a somewhat brighter sound, which I need now that my hearing in the higher frequencies is declining. But nothing I've heard can compete with those dual 9-inch woofers in the VR4 IIIs.