..my latest analogue project

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
..my latest analogue project
« on: 21 Mar 2013, 04:20 pm »
I've owned my Rega P3-24 now for a couple of years and have been doing some pretty cool upgrades.  I did the full-blown Groovetracer upgrade: machined subplatter, improved counterweight and the acrylic platter.  It improved things sonically and aesthetically as well.  I also designed a plinth for it.  The plinth doesn't replace anything but rather provides a heavy base for the TT to sit within.  I designed the plinth and had our Amish cabinet maker build it from walnut and had a local artist that does auto and safe restoration paint it.  He added a logo and pin-striping, all freehand.  The guy is amazing.  Anyway, inside the plinth is a 2cm granite slab that sits atop a 1/4" neoprene sheet.  The feet are the ones that come on the VPI Classic III table.  The whole thing weighs about 60# and is dead inert.  The stand that it rests on sits between two subwoofers and there isn't a hint of feedback...dead quiet.  The cartridge is the Rega Exact2 and the arm is the RB301.  The TT has been properly set up and really does sound great.  The only thing I have with which to compare it is my old trusty Rega Planar 3 with a Grace 707 MkII/F9E and the P3 blows it away.

bentknee

Re: ..my latest analogue project
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2013, 10:13 pm »
   Hi Gavin,
  Are you know going to join those of us who are full blown analogue fans? :thumb: or are you still listening to cd's more. :nono: Whatever format do enjoy.
   The Rega does look very cool.

Blessings, Bob

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2013, 11:26 pm »
Hi Bob.  Nope analogue is just a diversion.  Most of my listening is via Naim music server but TTs are the eye candy of this hobby..

SundayNiagara

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2013, 12:58 am »
I wonder what it would have looked like in natural wood.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2013, 01:17 am »
Probably like stained walnut but it wouldn't have matched the P3 finish..