Unexpected Delight at The Show

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« on: 24 Jan 2004, 06:38 am »
Since The Show in Las Vegas was my first time showing anywhere and I did not know what to expect, I had the pleasure of teaming up the Eastern Electric MiniMax product line with the Omega speakers and Hudson Audio Technology IC's and speaker cables. Having not met Louis before hand or Tom from Hudson I was a little nervous as you just never know the synergy between components or personalities.
 Within the first 5 minutes these two gentleman made me feel as if I had known them for years. A relaxed atmosphere was present and my comfort level had settled into the just be yourself realm.
 Besides making a couple of new friends I just want to say that the Omega's are a bargain of a speaker at twice the price. The amount of work that goes into building a pair is extremely time consuming. I don't know how he does it. The deciding factor has to be sound quality and the Omega line has it in spades.
  I also want to say Thank you for these guys as they took this rookie hand and guided him through his first show.
 Kindest Regards,
 Bill

Jim W.

MiniMax Man
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2004, 04:05 am »
Bill,

I've ordered Louis' Super 3BPCR and Grande 6R from my local dealer so I can demo and choose between the two.  I'm patiently waiting and sure it will be a difficult choice given how much I like the standard Super 3.  In addition, I've already purchased your MiniMax preamplifier and amplifier, as well as the tube HDCD player (expected early February).  Thanks so much for taking the time to speak with me at length about your products.

I've never purchased anything without seeing, or hearing for that matter, but I did read all that's out on the web.  I took delivery of the MiniMax amp and preamp a couple of days ago and the units are stunning in appearance, fit, and finish.  They truly are (wife thinks so too) and "I don't know how you do it," to steal your earlier phrase.  I'm quite pleased  :D !  I'll take digital photos if anyone here's interested.

I have the units running for the meantime with a pair of Klipsch KG 4.5s (95db) and a cheap Denon CD player, while I await my Omegas and Eastern Electric CD player.  I'm new to this, but I'm truly amazed at what I'm hearing from the Klipsch's.  I didn't think it could get this good!  My wife and I (see earlier posts) had been out shopping for new equipment at a higher price point (Thiel CS2.4, Revel F30, B&W 703, Vandersteen 3A Signature, Classe, B&K, Krell, etc.) and were a bit disappointed.  Not that things didn't sound good, but it didn't sound like it cost, if you know what I mean  :? .  And, we didn't really have that kind of money to spend, but that's where I had to go pricewise (or so I thought) to see a big improvement in my old  gear (Adcom, Nakamichi, Denon, Paradigm, Klipsch, etc.).

Well, that all changed when I heard the Omegas and I'm that much more excited after hearing the MiniMax gear.  Now, like I said, I'm new to this, and I don't know if I have "good ears" or not (I'd like to think I do), but the music I'm hearing now is just that, "music!"  It's involving and triggers an emotional response, which I've not experienced before.  Louis' Omegas had the hair on the back of my neck standing up.  And, it's the same thing with the MiniMax and the Klipsch's.  I just can't wait to get the MiniMax paired up with the Omegas.

If Louis and you thought well enough of the synergy between your products to demo at the CES, than that's good enough for me.  And, my wife's ecstatic over the fact that we've accomplished our goal within a very reasonable budget.

Thanks again!

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2004, 02:43 pm »
Hi Bill,

My pleasure and it was great meeting you too. I was also wondering how the synergy with the MiniMax and the speakers would be and I was extremely pleased right from the start. The Minimax gear is great and a great value to boot. From sound quality (most important) to the great fit and finish I was extremely impressed. Hi value is also important to me and the MiniMax offers great value to boot.

Many thanks to Jacob at Witchdoctor Audio and the 2 bald guys audio for putting us together. Can't wait for the Montreal show to hear the system again.

Hi Jim,

I'm very happy you like the Minimax amp and preamp. I'm glad that you chose the MiniMax and Omega spaekers and really happy that we saved you a lot of money as well. The Grande 6Rs are ready and will be shipping out today.

Many thanks,
Louis