RM9 Aftermarket Power Cords

bmr3hc

RM9 Aftermarket Power Cords
« on: 23 Jan 2010, 05:24 am »
Has any RM-9 owners tried aftermarket detachable power cords? If so, what brand and what's your opinion compared to the stock non-detachable cord?

Henry

Rob S.

Re: RM9 Aftermarket Power Cords
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2010, 06:21 am »
I have a somewhat similar Rm200 that I run JPS power AC+, and I'm happy with it, although I have not A/B'd it with the stock cord.   See if Shane can loan you one to compare it with the stock one.

Rob S.

bmr3hc

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2010, 01:53 pm »
Thanks Rob. Right now my RM-9 mk ll has the non detachable stock cord. 
Who did your detachable power cord modification or did the RM 200 come with the detachable cord?

Henry

Scottdazzle

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:49 am »
The RM-200 comes with a detachable cord, the RM-9 did not.  Minor surgery has to be performed on the RM-9 to go the detachable route.

bmr3hc

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2010, 04:12 am »
The RM-200 comes with a detachable cord, the RM-9 did not.  Minor surgery has to be performed on the RM-9 to go the detachable route.

Thanks much Scott. I am heading toward the operating room for that minor surgery for the power cord change.

Henry

Scottdazzle

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2010, 05:50 pm »
I've read somewhere on the web how to convert from non-detachable to an IEC power receptacle. You shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel.  Good luck.

bmr3hc

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:24 pm »
It apears easy to do but I would not chance it on my RM-9. Besides I don't have the nerves to risk it. I 'll leave it to the experts on this one.

Henry

Rob S.

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:36 pm »
Henry- what are you going to try once you get the IEC receptacle put in?

Rob

bmr3hc

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:47 pm »
Rob, it will be the JPS power cord. I have JPS throughout my system. Got them from Shane. The JPS power cord would a no brainer for me.

Henry

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2010, 01:26 am »
The simple solution is to cut the power cord close to the amp and solder on a male jack which we can provied. We have done a few of these. There is not enough room on the chassis and putting it into the wood frame makes the amp harder to work on.

I will refrain from comment on what might be achieved.

bmr3hc

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2010, 03:50 am »
Thanks Roger for your much valued input on this.

Henry

Ericus Rex

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2010, 01:05 pm »
I will refrain from comment on what might be achieved.

He thinks you're nuts.

bmr3hc

« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2010, 06:00 pm »
I know. But hey its Rogers calling me nuts and I can accept it from Roger.

Henry

Rob S.

« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2010, 06:17 pm »
You know what's in order here is swapping out my JPS Power AC+ and going back to the stock cord on the RM200 MK II, and seeing what if anything happens.   this along with about another 10 experiments (all throughout my system) I've been curious with.  I can say that a complete set of JPS cables was $$ well spent, but I don't know about the amp differences individually. 

But in the end, it's all about my time listening and sometimes it's just a PITA to mess with swapping stuff around, unless I've got a helper.  Getting back to the music is where it's at for me.

happy listening,

Rob S.

ricmon

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2010, 06:34 pm »
Thanks much Scott. I am heading toward the operating room for that minor surgery for the power cord change.

Henry

You may want to read this first. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=77121.msg729596;topicseen#new

Also you may want to trust the equipment designer on this choice.  Both my amps and pre amps have captive power cords.  I trust the brains behind the decision to go with captive power cords.  Just my 2 cents.

good luck with your mod
Ric

bmr3hc

« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2010, 01:54 pm »
Rob

Your AB comparison result would be interesting between the stock and JPS power cord.

Henry

bmr3hc

« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2010, 02:09 pm »
Thanks Ric. Good information. If done right I right, I feel a good power cord should be an improvement over any stock cord. Same thing  for the amp stock feet. Mine need replacement. I plan to replace with some that are better.
My RM-9 Mkll is a great amp that I intend to keep for many years. Roger did the Mkll upgrade.
I have not heard or seen many tube amps that I feel are beter than the RM-9 Mkll. However, there are, in my humble opinion, a few items minors items thatt can be improve. The amp feet and power cord in particular. Again I have the captive power cord not the detachable one. I will have these done.
Thanks much for all the imput.

Henry

rbwalt

« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2010, 03:24 pm »
i am using a jps AC+ power cord on my RM9SE and it works fine. I have also used a JPS GPA 2 cord on it also and it to worked good.

rob w.

pubul57

« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2010, 03:47 am »
Hi Rob.  Do you know if there is any tube rolling option for the 6bq7 on the RM9SE?  By the way, I too got the IEC option (though I know Roger thought I was nuts) and use the JPS AC+ as well. I have no idea if it sounds any better than the captive cord, but the amp sounds great and I got myself to stop thinking about it.  Thank you for the audition with your Special Edition - I bought mine a week later - I guess I liked it:)

rbwalt

« Reply #19 on: 3 Mar 2010, 11:17 pm »
Hi paul. how have you been. lost your e-mail when my hard drive went south. so here goes. the AC+ power cord is quieter and smoother. it also has a better bottom end to it. it tends to be clearer sounding also.

heard you are getting your Master BAM and rc's. i have mine and you are going to poop your pants!!!!!!!!! say check out the systems under R (rbwalt). i posted mine with a nice pic. i have made some significant changes to my system since you heard it last. e-mail me and  let me know what you think.

best regards.

rob.

ps. us RM9SE owners have to stick together. we own one of the best kept secrets in amps.