Will there be a Music Reference Amp based on the 300B tube??

Bhmartin

I see EML 300B tubes on the tube audio store site, but I have yet to see a Music Reference design which uses that tube type.  Is one planned?  I am looking at a Cary Audio amp to try a 300B design, but would like to stay with Music Reference product if one is in the offing.  Thanks.

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: Will there be a Music Reference Amp based on the 300B tube??
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2008, 04:36 am »
There will be a 300B amplifier and higher power units based on the range of Emission Labs tubes we carry. When I will get around to doing it is unknown though I am currently working on a commissioned push-pull 30 watt 300B monobloc.

Edison had a standing ad in the New York Times inviting any curious and dedicated person to apply for work at his laboratory. A similar offer stands on my website.

Bhmartin

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2008, 10:49 pm »
...I am currently working on a commissioned push-pull 30 watt 300B monobloc...

Roger,

Are you at liberty to say who the 300B design is being done for, the timeline to production, or the intended price point?

Thanks.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2008, 05:45 am »
Rather than set a price I would like to hear what people would like to pay and then I will see what I can give them for that price.

We are at the beginning of some hard economic times that may last for a few years. Don't worry about me or Music Reference, we will always be here. I expect Music Reference products will do well in these times as they represent good value. I will be happy to make 300B amplifiers that represent good value.

Nilanjan

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2008, 03:01 am »
Most of the other 300B applications that I have heard of are SET designs. I am curious about how different a pair of 30 watt push-pull monoblocks based on 300B tubes would be from the similarly powered RM10.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2008, 04:25 am »
Different they would be. One can make a good 300B amplifier without feedback. That alone is very appealing to some audiophiles. Although the same power as an RM-10  it will cost twice as much. The RM-10 is quite unique in that it delivers 35 watts from a pair of EL84's with good damping and great sound partly due to the fact it is handwired. There are very few hand-wired (no pc boards) amps on the market and none at this price as far as I know.

The RM-10 is my favorite of all the amps I make. Naysayers are constantly writing that I cannot get 35 watts out of a pair of EL84's but I do.