Poll

If a remote control feature is available for audio equipment that you wish to purchase, would you want the remote control…

Included with the equipment.
Purchase it separately.

Remotes

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Remotes
« on: 9 Mar 2010, 09:02 pm »
Remotes - should they be included with the audio equipment, what do you believe :scratch:

Be well...

1ZIP

Re: Remotes
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2010, 10:13 pm »
Yep!

Robert D

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2010, 11:15 pm »
Yes Sir !

Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2010, 12:18 am »
Most customers say they do not want the cost of the remote included - and the way we build them they ain't cheap - because so many learning remotes are available now.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2010, 12:40 am »
the Bryston remotes are built just like everything Bryston makes,SOLID.
Considering it's built to last 20yrs,I don't mind paying,sides she feels real good in the hand.
There's something about the  feeling of QUALITY that does it for me.
I had a preamp(14000.00) with a plastic remote,you'd think for an expensive component that they wouldn't cheap out on the remote.It even felt cheap.
If there cheap on that,I wonder what's inside that's skimped on that we can't see.

WBimmer

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2010, 01:36 am »
I have three pieces of Bryston that if the remote was included, I'd have three remotes.  Seems kinda pointless to include them with every piece, so it makes more sense to remove the cost and have it seperate, then the buyer can decide when they want to purchase it.

In my case I'd be using one remote and have two in the box waiting for the first one to break or got lost...  If the BDA-1 for example is $2,000 and the remote is $350, then the cost of the BDA-1 with a remote in the box included would be $2,350.  This is the same price regardless of how you look at it, so I'm not sure why people have a problem with this...

Wayne.

Laundrew

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2010, 02:03 am »
I have three pieces of Bryston that if the remote was included, I'd have three remotes.  Seems kinda pointless to include them with every piece, so it makes more sense to remove the cost and have it seperate, then the buyer can decide when they want to purchase it.

Wayne.

Interesting observation Wayne and I never considered that point of view :thumb:

Perhaps the only advantage would be if an individual wished to sell off some equipment for upgrading purposes, it would be great to have a remote with it. As I do not have any intention of selling my Bryston audio equipment, one remote to carry out volume control functions is all that I require. If I upgrade to Bryston for my home theatre system - I would require a second remote control.

For the owners of a BCD-1, was the remote control included and can it also control volume levels on the pre-amplifiers? Was it a BR2 or a different remote control :scratch:

Be well...

Stu Pitt

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2010, 02:11 am »
I agree with both sides.  Now that I use a universal, I don't want the extra cost of another remote that I won't use.  But then again, I think it adds to the resale value to have a factory remote.

I guess the best way to approach it is what James and Co. are doing.  I know its built like a tank, will last forever, and ain't cheap to make...  but $350 for a remote?  Its not justifiable to my budget.  No offense.

I feel far more strongly about gear that doesn't have a remote at all.  I lived with an integrated for a few years that didn't have one.  Never again.  I don't care how good the piece is or what the price is, its make or break thing for me. 

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2010, 02:23 am »

In my case I'd be using one remote and have two in the box waiting for the first one to break or got lost...  If the BDA-1 for example is $2,000 and the remote is $350, then the cost of the BDA-1 with a remote in the box included would be $2,350.  This is the same price regardless of how you look at it, so I'm not sure why people have a problem with this...

Wayne.

I concur.  I bought my used BDA-1 w/o the remote and was happy as I have a Harmony One and would not use the remote.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2010, 06:57 am »
Interesting observation Wayne and I never considered that point of view :thumb:

Perhaps the only advantage would be if an individual wished to sell off some equipment for upgrading purposes, it would be great to have a remote with it. As I do not have any intention of selling my Bryston audio equipment, one remote to carry out volume control functions is all that I require. If I upgrade to Bryston for my home theatre system - I would require a second remote control.

For the owners of a BCD-1, was the remote control included and can it also control volume levels on the pre-amplifiers? Was it a BR2 or a different remote control :scratch:

Be well...

Laundrew,

it used to be a "BCD-1 Remote" that was included with a BCD-1. good for volume/mute on BP6, BP16, BP26 and SP2
(also SP1 and SP1.7 ?).
now it is a BR2 remote that comes with the player.
i wish i had the BR2.... :bawl:
but i am using a Logitech "Harmony One" remote. so that's ok.

al.

alexone

« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2010, 07:07 am »
James,

if a customer orders for example a BCD-1 (silver) can the remote be ordered in black?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2010, 11:56 am »
James,

if a customer orders for example a BCD-1 (silver) can the remote be ordered in black?

al.

Yes but is a $1000 extra :D

james

Laundrew

« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2010, 12:13 pm »
Laundrew,

it used to be a "BCD-1 Remote" that was included with a BCD-1. good for volume/mute on BP6, BP16, BP26 and SP2
(also SP1 and SP1.7 ?).
now it is a BR2 remote that comes with the player.
i wish i had the BR2.... :bawl:
but i am using a Logitech "Harmony One" remote. so that's ok.

al.

Thank you al :thumb:

Be well...

alexone

« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2010, 01:10 pm »

Yes but is a $1000 extra :D

james

well, just another bargain :lol:

al.

alexone