My SWLP 9.0 SE Beta

mtodde

My SWLP 9.0 SE Beta
« on: 10 Dec 2006, 10:13 pm »
I've had my tube rectified SWLP 9.0 SE (is this a Signature, Dan?) for six days now and Dan asked me to post some of my impressions. 

The first day I listened to a few SACDs and LPs while working and while it sounded pretty good I was expecting a little more.  Dan had preconditioned it some by listening to it in his system.  After speaking to Dan about the absolute phase inversion (the SWL & SWLP invert absolute phase) I swapped the speaker cables and once my VT-100 was warmed up I was like "This is more like it!".  My amp doesn't invert absolute phase and apparently I'm one of the people it bothers...YMMV.

I'm primarily into classic jazz but also enjoy classical, classic rock & female vocals.  My current system setup is:

VPI Scout w/ JMW-9
Shelter 501 Mk. II cartridge
Marantz SA-8001 CD/SACD player
Cambridge Audio Azur 540D DVD-A/V CD player
Modwright SWLP 9.0 SE/Signature
Audio Research VT-100 Mk. II
Paradigm Signature 4 speakers

I am using Cardas Neutral Reference interconnects between the Scout & the SWLP and from the SWLP to the VT-100.  Both digital sources use Cardas Cross interconnects.  I've gone back to the Zu Wax speaker cables as the Cardas Cross just seemed too dark.  To some this is a dream system and to others it will seem pretty humble...I feel very fortunate to have been able to assemble it and feel it really gives a good taste of what the high end is all about.

I'm posting some of my notes to Dan below:

After swapping the polarity on the speaker cables: 
"I'm not sure what happened while I ran out to pick up dinner...I
turned the amp off and played the Cardas burn in CD. Now I'm in vinyl
heaven with The Great Jazz Trio's Autumn Leaves. It is an 88s LP. Great
drum miking and cymbal decay to die for...Tons of detail.

Vinyl is always tricky because there are more variables...changing the
VTF a little takes you from thin, watery sound to heaven...and
sometimes back again. That's one reason I called a few times yesterday.

I left a classical SACD going last night and all day today. When I got
home and turned the amp on, I was wowed. Right now I'm spinning Nat King
Cole's Just One Of Those Things - the Steve Hoffman version - and the
imaging is dead on. The soundstaging is improving too. I think phono
stages take an eternity to break in but we seem to be on our way.

The SWLP seems to be a good match for my ARC VT100. I'm getting good
dynamic swings.

Last night I listened to an original Robert Ludwig cut Led Zeppelin II LP…the soundstage extended beyond the listening position and I actually had sounds that seemed to originate from behind my head.  It was pretty cool!  I also listened to a couple of Bud Powell LPs…the piano was pretty bright on one of them so I tweaked the VTF for side 2…the piano was tamed and the upright bass came alive.

Overall my impressions are very good; female vocals are still a little off but we’ll give it some more time…they are getting better."

« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2006, 12:22 am by mtodde »

mtodde

Re: My SWLP 9.0 SE Beta
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2006, 10:34 pm »
Yesterday a friend came over to listen that has heard my system through its various incarnations the past few years (I think I'm settling in on a system I'll enjoy for years to come).  He has a very nice system of his own...and we now probably each think our system is a little better than the others.  Lee was a production assistant on several Chesky recordings and dabbles in a few projects here in Atlanta on the side so he's intimately familiar with some recordings.

He commented on how detailed & transparent the entire system was and one comment I heard several times was "that's what a piano sounds like."  Instruments definitely sound natural.  Piano and jazz guitar sound particularly great.  He told me over and over that this was the best he'd ever heard my system sound...he had not heard it in several months in fairness and missed the transition from an Odyssey Stratos to a used Audio Research VT-100.

One of the LPs we played was the Clark Terry/Max Roach "Friendship" release on the 88s label.  It is one of his favorite recordings and probably has the best drum miking of anything either of us has heard.  I have the Red Book of this title but this was the first time I'd ever listened to the LP.  It was nothing short of a religous experience.  We heard enormous dynamic swings and tons of low level detail.

Playing "Money" from the 30th anniversary LP of DSOTM we both remarked on how it sounded even better than the SACD.  The sound of the coins in the cash register was unreal.  Vocals, guitar and bass were outstanding.  The sax may have been slightly better on the SACD but not by much...and its possible that a slight VTF tweak would have perfected that too.

The soundstaging is getting to be very impressive.  The imaging continues to improve as the unit breaks in and I'm sure there will be many more aha moments to come.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2006, 02:20 am »
I got my first taste of a good ARC rig today at a local store and was mighty impressed with their Reference stuff. An AR tube amp is on the short list for my next upgrade. I have been waiting to hear about the Modwright "Signature" preamp since hearing about it at RMAF. I'm glad SWL gels with the VT100.

Glad to know another bebopper on the audiocircle! I'm in Raleigh if you ever get up this way.
Rich

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2006, 03:50 am »
Dan told me I should get mine by Friday.  What tube are you using on your PS?

BikeWNC

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2006, 04:14 am »
Has anyone tried the metal base Amperex tube in the PS?  It's way expensive but has a great rep.  I would like to replace the Sovtek tube but don't know if I want to spend that much.  I may go with the Mullard also.

Andy

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2006, 12:44 pm »
Dan told me I should get mine by Friday.  What tube are you using on your PS?

Mullard 5AR4. Dual getter. Fat base. Blackburn, UK production. 1965.

I wonder where he got that.  :lol:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2006, 05:05 pm »
Relax,

It's funny to me because you jumped into answer for mtodde.  You obviously sold the tube or you are very familiar with his system.  I will minimize my "funny" comments on your posts in the future.  Happy Holidays.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2006, 05:28 pm »

Oh, I understand. Thanks. I haven't sold anything to mtodde that I can recall.

Your question did not reference anyone in particular, nor did it quote mtodde's post, so I thought it was OK to offer an answer considering I own a tube rectified Modwright power supply. Common misunderstanding with discussion boards. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

No problem.  I wasn't aware that you have the SWLP as well.  I just wanted to know if mtodde's comments on the beta unit was based on TRPS and if so, what specific tube he was using. 

mtodde

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2006, 10:44 pm »

Oh, I understand. Thanks. I haven't sold anything to mtodde that I can recall.

Your question did not reference anyone in particular, nor did it quote mtodde's post, so I thought it was OK to offer an answer considering I own a tube rectified Modwright power supply. Common misunderstanding with discussion boards. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

No problem.  I wasn't aware that you have the SWLP as well.  I just wanted to know if mtodde's comments on the beta unit was based on TRPS and if so, what specific tube he was using. 

I have the TRPS with the stock tube at the moment; I have a Groove Tube 5AR4 I tried when I got the unit that I need to try again sometime.

mtodde

« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2006, 12:43 am »
The SWLP just gets a little better each day and it seems like each time I listen there's a little more detail.  I'm consistently in heaven with vinyl and have barely listened to any of my new SACDs!

The qualities that keep coming to my mind are open, transparent and natural.  Whether playing audiophile reissues, vintage classic rock or jazz I can't seem to wipe the smile off my face when I'm listening to music.

I got a cleaner copy of Led Zeppelin II with Robert Ludwig's touch and WOW.  It is enveloping.  Even the Carly Simon Anticipation and Fleetwood Mac Rumors I picked up at Goodwill sounded like you were there or they were here.

I haven't heard with SWLP with the solid state power supply but with the tube rectified power supply Dan has another winner on his hands.  I predict that demand will outpace supply for a while.

AB

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2007, 03:29 am »
Well, I finally shipped my SWL to Dan for the SWLP upgrade.

I don't know a ship date and I don't want to know. It will be a nice surprise when it arrives - like Christmas.
Or my birthday, which is coming up.
But I won't be home that week so hopefully it won't be that week.
In any case I am trying to be patient but it's difficult.

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2007, 04:18 am »
That new phono stage of Dan's is quite good!  We are definitely looking forward to
getting one in for review...

Dan brought one in here just after he had finalized the design and it was impressive!

I guarantee you will enjoy it!

mtodde

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2007, 10:21 pm »

I don't know a ship date and I don't want to know. It will be a nice surprise when it arrives - like Christmas.

Congrats.  You will really enjoy it.  The phono section is outstanding.

Are you getting the tube power supply?

AB

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2007, 10:35 pm »

Congrats.  You will really enjoy it.  The phono section is outstanding.

Are you getting the tube power supply?

Yes, the outboard tubed PSU is the number one reason I am having it upgraded. The phono stage will sit unused for a bit until I can do the research and find the scratch to get a vinyl setup going. But until then I will be more than happy to have my Sony 9100es playing through it with its tubed PSU. Two tubed PSUs should almost be enough.   aa

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2007, 10:58 pm »
I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my SWLP with tube rectified power supply. Whenever possible, I much prefer vinyl and ended up upgrading to a higher end table in anticipation of the SWLP.

This post is coming from my personal obsession as a vinyl enthusiast and not as a dealer.

AB

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2007, 02:36 am »
I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my SWLP with tube rectified power supply. Whenever possible, I much prefer vinyl and ended up upgrading to a higher end table in anticipation of the SWLP.

This post is coming from my personal obsession as a vinyl enthusiast and not as a dealer.

Well ok then.  :lol:

I was really torn between the SWLP and the newest 36.5. With the Modwright Sony 9100es in the system, I was thinking vinyl might not be worth the hassle - the Sony sounds that good.

But, never given to avoiding spending more dosh on gear, I decided to go for the SWLP and incur the cost and hassle of a vinyl setup.

At least that's the plan. And I am never without a plan. Money I am without but a plan, never.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2007, 09:27 pm »
It's been three weeks since I re-placed the SWL in my main rig.  I sent my SWL sent back to Dan for the upgrade a while back.  I got the unit Friday before Christmas, but I was on my way out of town.  Dan tells me that he practically rebuilt my preamp with new board and everything.  :o  I have the cryoed Tung sol in the line stage, Mullard 5ar4 on the PS and stock Sovtech 6n1ps and 6c45s on the phono stage.  I also asked for the mono switch and 100 ohm load impedance for my Koetsu cartridge which has an internal resistance of 5 ohms. 

It's hard to compare it with the older version with ss power supply.  I know the mids have more flesh but I don't know if the overall pace is the same or not because it's been many months without a SWL in my system.  I can only relate the sound in comparison to my backup line stage, Von Gaylord Legend 2.  When I first got SWL more than a year ago, I was immediately floored by the rhythm and pace that it had.  The tight bass and clear and fast presentation with dynamic impact was my impression.  Then I sent it back for the upgrade and fell back to my old preamp.  The Legend preamp, BTW, has a nice bloom (RCA red base 5692s) that is great with vocals and strings.  When I put the SWLP back in with tube rectified PS, my first impression was there is no difference. :o  What the heck?  Then I listened to it for the last 3 weeks.  Now, I know that there is a difference.  It has practically all the rhythm and pace it had before. I think the bass may have relaxed a hair but the highs may actually be a bit more airy.  The midrange is where the big difference is.  There is a lot more meat to the bone.  It sounds like a full octal preamp with rhythm and pace of a ss. The sound stage is also deeper than what I remember.  I get a more holographic image of the stage. 

I have not had a chance to really compare phono stages.  It sounds good but I haven't really compared it to my trusted Art Audio Vinyl One or EAR 834P on hand.  I will follow up on that later.   I am excited by having the mono switch for those old records.

modwright

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2007, 06:04 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  I believe that your assessment of the differences with the tube rectified supply are very accurate - "meat on the bones" ;).

The new LS 36.5 linestage (no phono) will have the tube rectified supply as well as our own custom made capacitors - both oil-impregnated poly and pure teflon film/foil.  We are also switching to the 6H30 tube in teflon tube sockets and adding balanced inputs and outputs and a phase switch (both on remote and faceplate).

The new remote will be available when the LS 36.5 is released (March) and will be as sexy as the new LS.  I will post renderings of the new remote and pictures of the new unit as soon as the AL casework and machined top plate are complete.

Customers have been asking for a 'maxed out' SWL 9.0SE for a while.  We have been asked about a balanced unit and of course the tube rectified PS has been a huge success.  I decided to produce an entirely new level of preamp and that is the LS 36.5.

Pricing is still TBD, but I anticipate it being close to $4495.  It will be available in March.

Our SWP 9.0SE standalone phono stage also includes the tube-rectified supply and custom MWI capacitors.  It is currently shipping.  Retail price = $2995.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2007, 10:47 pm »
 I am expecting my tube rectified SWLP in two days (Thursday) and will get it in my reference system buring in right away. For those who have asked what this vinyl system will be, here are the details.

**ModWright SWLP tube rectified
**Acoustic Solid Small turntable w/ Virtuoso Wood cart
**Bella EXtreme 60 mono blocs
**Acoustic Zen EXtreme Adagio loudspeakers :wink:

I see there will be a lot of vinyl spinning for a while :drool: