X-Omni (AV123) WWYD if....

M3NTAL

X-Omni (AV123) WWYD if....
« on: 19 Jun 2024, 12:50 am »
One of my X-Omni's got knocked over and took out the tweeter (complete dome separation) and the woofer (coil misalign)

Should I buy a pair of tweeters & woofers or look for another pair of open space speakers in the classifieds?  I'm not soul searching, but I don't know how far things have changed since the X-Omni.  I don't have any more space than the X-Omni takes - hence being knocked over.

Thank you.

VinceT

Re: X-Omni (AV123) WWYD if....
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2024, 12:19 pm »
I always wanted to hear those speakers

That is a very unique design, if you like what they do and how they do it, you will be hard pressed to find anything else like it as good with the up firing woofer. You could get a normal front firing tower speaker in the used market,  but ultimately you have to decide if you will miss what that X omni brings to your room and the sound you want.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2024, 01:58 pm »
The quickest and easiest solution is to order replacement drivers from Danny. 

M3NTAL

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2024, 03:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure that's what I'll end up doing. Hoping the x-over didn't get busted.

Thank you.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2024, 05:00 pm »
it's unlikely, but if it did, it's likely that the coils may have come/off loose if a zip tie broke, but it's pretty easy to fix/replace those. (assuming it's the old AV123 board)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2024, 05:27 pm »
it's unlikely, but if it did, it's likely that the coils may have come/off loose if a zip tie broke, but it's pretty easy to fix/replace those. (assuming it's the old AV123 board)

It’s also easy to point to point wire a new crossover if it comes to that.

M3NTAL

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2024, 05:35 pm »
I think the correct tweeter is the T26SG, but I don't know if the midbass is the M-165 or M-165/16.  Not sure how the speaker was designed.  I don't need any 'upgrades' as I feel they are perfect for what they are.  Very natural and room filling. They are tonally great from many areas near them - don't need perfect sweet spot.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2024, 06:38 pm »
T26SG and standard M165

But I would recommend replacing the tweeters as a pair as there are differences between the dome of current model and the original versions, and they will match better sonically if you replace both.

M3NTAL

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2024, 07:13 pm »
Thank you - I will be replacing all 4 drivers for a matched set.

jabouley

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2024, 05:28 pm »
Personally, I would just replace the woofer tweeter if they work for you; if you’re looking to try something else, the only thing that I think that would fit for you would be a pair of Ohm speakers.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2024, 12:25 am »
Thank you - I will be replacing all 4 drivers for a matched set.
Probably unnecessary expense.  Danny's driver have a history of being well matched.