Erse

JCarney

Erse
« on: 1 Apr 2023, 01:10 am »
It looks as if Erse is back in business. Someone on AudioAsylum brought it up, and said in China now.  I looked at the website, and it has a new look, and you can access everything. If true, maybe good news?

JCarney

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Erse
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2023, 01:36 am »
To my knowledge, here was always 2 parts to Erse, the American company, and Erse China, which did a lot of the manufacturing of Bobbins and capacitors, among other things, I imagine, for the US company.

I'd guess that Erse China absorbed what remained of the American side.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a lot of it it to be at the same quality as what was previously provided.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2023, 01:57 am »
The Erse Crossover Calculator still not found on his site. :(

JCarney

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2023, 02:12 am »
To my knowledge, here was always 2 parts to Erse, the American company, and Erse China, which did a lot of the manufacturing of Bobbins and capacitors, among other things, I imagine, for the US company.

I'd guess that Erse China absorbed what remained of the American side.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a lot of it it to be at the same quality as what was previously provided.

Fair enough. So the answer to my inquiry at the end of my first post is, not really.  :lol:  Well that is kind of a bummer then.

Thanks,
JCarney

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2023, 08:43 pm »
Well you could buy an example and place it in a critical area. After break in compare it to what you know and let your ears make the assessment.

JCarney

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2023, 09:58 pm »
Well you could buy an example and place it in a critical area. After break in compare it to what you know and let your ears make the assessment.

Good suggestion. I was more thinking for the industry than anything. There were Erse electrolytic caps and air core inductors in a pair of Martin Logan speakers I cracked open that were made in 1999. It was rather abrupt their shutting down, and I was hoping there was some good news for a change.

JCarney

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2023, 09:02 pm »
Guys, here is the lowdown on that. I dealt with them for years and knew the owner pretty well from years of doing business with them.

Erse was a US company. Caps and bobbins (plastic parts for winding coils on and laminated I cores) were made in China under the Erse name.

Those coils were wound in the US using US made Copper. The US Copper was 99.99 pure Copper. So quality was high wire.

The owner passed away last year and his widow sold off the inventory and closed the doors.

The coils that were made by the Erse China plant uses Copper wire from China. That means it is often (like a lot of China produced Copper) recycled Copper. It tests 94 to 96% Copper and the biggest contaminate is Copper oxide. So it will not sound the same as coils made with high purity Copper.

Moving ahead, three of the employees that worked for Erse in the US are now running US Coils. So high quality US made coils are once again available.

JCarney

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2023, 12:31 am »
Thanks for giving us the skinny. It is good news that USCoils is producing quality inductors.

JCarney

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2023, 02:01 am »