Adding Internal Bracing and/or No Rez

AndrewDIY

Adding Internal Bracing and/or No Rez
« on: 20 Mar 2023, 09:31 pm »
I have a pair of Kef q150s. I have noticed some box resonances. Would it be better to add internal bracing of some kind or just use No Rez? Or some combination of the two if possible?

Danny Richie

Re: Adding Internal Bracing and/or No Rez
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2023, 02:14 pm »
Sometimes a combination of both works best, but be careful with adding braces. They do take up air space.

If the box is small, sometimes just adding some No Rez works fine.

maty

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2023, 02:32 pm »
KEF Q150 Upgrade Kit (Pair)
https://gr-research.com/product/kef-q150-upgrade/

KEF Q150... can it get any BETTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFy-WtxoXQ0

My very modified KEF Q100 has double layer of viscoelastic material. Closed the bad designed front bass-reflex, updated the crossover + a bit of EQ with rePhase -> convolution filter. They sound much better than the originals.

AndrewDIY

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2023, 12:25 pm »
Thank you both for responding. I will order some No Rez soon to keep it simple. Looking forward to hearing the effect! I already replaced the original crossover with better parts, but probably should have just ordered Danny's upgrade as the upper midrange is a bit intense at times. 

AndrewDIY

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2023, 02:59 pm »
Yup... No Rez is something special. I installed No Rez along the walls, front and back of my Kef q150s. I left the polyfill that it came with at the top of the cabinet. I was worried that removing it would negatively affect the perceived air space of the the box.

At first, I thought I lost some bass presence but after more listening I realized I actually had deeper, punchier bass when it was actually in the recording. So the reduction that I thought I heard was just the absence of box bloom. But the improvements that surprised me most was in the midrange and soundstage. It seems cleaning up the bass and resonances uncovered what I had been missing in the midrange. Just wow, better detail, more realistic tone and overall a more balanced presentation. And the soundstage widened and deepened noticeably on certain recordings. I could better pick up on spatial queues as the speakers practically disappeared.

So yeah, I am delighted. Adding No Rez was more of an improvement to my ears that just upgrading the parts quality. What a value! I am genuinely excited to do more listening.

Thank you, Danny and GR team!

Zuman

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2023, 06:03 pm »
I've built two pairs of CSS speakers with No Rez as an important component. Hobbs at GR-Research suggested leaving a couple of inches directly behind the drivers for them to "breathe," and that was good advice. Otherwise, I have the sides and back (back not shown) lined with No Rez here. There's also no No Rez inside the front baffle below the bottom brace in this photo because twin port tubes open up about 2.5 inches from the front baffle. I also added a light Acoustafil stuffing.
This coverage has worked really well. The sound is tight and precise, but certainly does not fail to convey emotion.